Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Tipflation?!?!

Tipflation?!?!

If you shove your iPad in my face for a tip for something other than direct table service, I laugh at you.

It’s everywhere now and the service provided in years past has become non existent anymore.

So no, no tip for you.
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy

3 minutes. Very impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzworthy View Post
    If you shove your iPad in my face for a tip for something other than direct table service, I laugh at you.

It’s everywhere now and the service provided in years past has become non existent anymore.

So no, no tip for you.
    Agreed, it's a stupid trend.

And most of the ipad routine is when you order, before any service has been done. It is tipping in advance and hoping you get good service. I make it a point to tell them, I tip in cash AFTER I see the service.

I don’t think that should be called tipflation. It may be obnoxious or inappropriate depending on where it happens but I think tipflation should be the act of over tipping because you want your friends and servers to think better of you or over tipping because you can’t figure out the math in your head. Or conversely, maybe it should be shrinking the tip because the establishment has raised prices so much that you can’t afford an appropriately generous tip. Tipflation is a good word though. I like it.

The whole tip economy needs to go. It’s a bullshit system based on ante bellum slave shit ffs. How about restaurants etc just pay their l workers like they do in the rest of the world.

And while we’re at it, includes the sales tax in the price of the item or fuck off. That sucks here too. Scrap heap it

And metric. Everything. Fucking feudal fuck sticks

I'd say tipflation is when the suggested/expected percentage starts at higher and higher values.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tipflation.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	150.5 KB 
ID:	461328

I have no idea what level of service this was, but no options under 25% is pushing it for almost anything.

And yeah, pretty much every counter service place around here expects tips.

Quote Originally Posted by Brownski View Post
    I don’t think that should be called tipflation.
    Full transparency here, got the term from CBS news

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    I'd say tipflation is when the suggested/expected percentage starts at higher and higher values.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tipflation.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	150.5 KB 
ID:	461328

I have no idea what level of service this was, but no options under 25% is pushing it for almost anything.
    Can't blame them for trying I guess

I've cut way back except for really good service. Shit has just gotten too expensive.

Any business that depends on low wage employees is a dinosaur headed for extinction. Bring on the AI robots.

If you are in a situation where someone is servicing you, bar, hotel, ski/bike shop, restaurants, etc.

Tip well in cash.
    Gratuity makes the world go round.

Those tips support essential services, drug dealers, cheap food joints, and taxis.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    If you are in a situation where someone is servicing you, bar, hotel, ski/bike shop, restaurants, etc.

Tip well in cash.
    Gratuity makes the world go round.

Those tips support essential services, drug dealers, cheap food joints, and taxis.
    I know you work in this business but it’s 100% wrong in my opinion. Pay your employees so they don’t have to juggle this constant anxiety on a daily basis hoping to pay the bills.

Gratuity makes the world insane actually.

If you can't tip, don't go out. Don't go on vacation.

If all these places paid these tipped positions $20+ an hour you couldn't afford to go there.

Housekeepers make a decent wage and you should still tip them.

We’ll just agree to disagree. I’ve been hearing this from you for two decades. The longer time goes on, the worse the service gets. Kids now expect a big tip….for doing nothing more than their job.

I tipped my whole vacation last week to the tune of multiple hundreds of dollars. I didn’t get ANY extra service for that large sum of money. I’ll go elsewhere for sure next time but I will NOT be tipping just because it’s expected.

It’s a bullshit industry and it’s not my job to pay your employees. That’s your job.

Shit needs to change.

And please tell me why I should tip housekeepers that make a decent wage. For what Woodsy?

Help me make sense of that sentence because it does not.

Not to mention the "suggestion" of a tip for carryout orders.

We ordered a birthday cake for our son recently that had quite a bit of stuff going on with it. When we called to confirm the order a week out the girl on the phone (not a manager) could not have been more difficult, telling us no cake had been ordered and they don’t do the type of cakes that we did order.

We said, well, I have an email confirmation and my card has been charged so we should get to the bottom of this.

She persisted that we were calling the wrong bakery as they don’t do that. We read the name on the email invoice and she said yeah, she works here. Confused we asked to speak to someone in charge.

Got a call back that afternoon from the same girl that said we were right and that they had the order. No big deal just happy to have it settled. Then she says, we’re going to charge your card the balance today “how much do you want to tip, we suggest 25%”.

The wife said, that’s ok, we’ll pay when we pick it up next week and tip then.

Glad we didn’t as they forgot the order completely when we showed up to get it. Ended up taking someone else’s cake and modifying it which means someone who probably paid and tipped 25% in advance got screwed too.

The icing was ok but the cake was dry as shit. Would not buy again.
    I still call it The Jake.

Worked for a guy once who sang you a song telling you how high the tips were. Had every idiot splitting tips and forgetting ppl etc. Hot air is my nickname for that guy.

Also, every apathetic easily offended snowflake now expects 25$ an hour to do mediocre at best work.

It's fucked.

If all these places paid these tipped positions $20+ an hour you couldn't afford to go there.

Or... you know... vacation in Europe where you don't need to deal with this utter horseshit of a system.

You're completely missing the point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Or... you know... vacation in Europe where you don't need to deal with this utter horseshit of a system.
    ^^^ Morgan Freeman saying "he's right you know" here

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Or Japan, Australia, NZ, Southeast Asia, and pretty much everywhere else in the world

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzworthy View Post
    And please tell me why I should tip housekeepers that make a decent wage. For what Woodsy?

Help me make sense of that sentence because it does not.
    Because of that disgusting mess you made of the hand towels, duh. Not to mention the pillow.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    The whole tip economy needs to go. It’s a bullshit system based on ante bellum slave shit ffs. How about restaurants etc just pay their l workers like they do in the rest of the world.

And while we’re at it, includes the sales tax in the price of the item or fuck off. That sucks here too. Scrap heap it

And metric. Everything. Fucking feudal fuck sticks
    Couldn’t agree more on every point. I lived inSpain for 4 years, never once left a tip and the level of service at your local corner bar was always light years ahead of the service provided in any top level American restaurant I’ve ever been to. Bartenders slinging drinks, cooking and cleaning all at once. The fact they were also drinking on the job probably helped their level of friendliness. But they all made a decent middle class living.

And for the love of all things holy we need to go metric on everything. As an electrician I just loathe dealing with imperial bs. Even the NEC lists every measurement in metric first, but we have to use ridiculous imperial measurements that are less accurate and require maths with fractions vs simple incremental whole numbers.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums