Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Tipflation?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    Yea I tip em like everybody else, despite the fact that it's stupid.

As has been mentioned, tipping up front is asinine. How does sandwich guy know how much I tipped? Does the cashier radio back to the kitchen? If I leave him a fat 30% tip at the register does he make my sandwich any better? No.

Do you tip at McDonalds or other fast food places? Why not?
    To me, it kind of depends on the places you're going to. If it's prepackaged food that they are just warming up, not much of a need to tip. Making good food from scratch which is most of what I go for, definitely a tip.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post

I have worked in the hospitality/service industry since the mid 90s. Most of my friends & roommates lived on tips.
    I did some F&B and bar-tending and loved the cash that was mine at the end of my shift. Yeah, I get it. Or driving limos where my base was 10 bucks an hour and tips. Easy to pull down 250 a day plus the hourly stipend.

I provided cheerful and professional service, answered their questions, humped their luggage and drove the peeps on a winding, snow covered highway that has crosses marking the sites of fatalities, there a lot of them.

That is far different from expecting 25% for making me a sandwich or a cup of coffee. These days I just make a sammy at home and keep a thermos of coffee handy.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    Was wondering when that would show up.

My man buzz is Mr Pink.

I am this guy

I have worked in the hospitality/service industry since the mid 90s. Most of my friends & roommates lived on tips.
    I play the game for my expected 20% at the bar/restaurant. Sorry if I think your industry standards are asinine. That was then, it time for reality to hit now.

Tipping is an antiquated practice and needs revisited and revamped.

Is this an indication of living wages or entitlement?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    `•.¸¸.•´><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸.? ??´¯`•...¸><((((º>

"Having been Baptized by uller his frosty air now burns my soul with confirmation. I am once again pure." - frozenwater

"once i let go of my material desires many opportunities for playing with the planet emerge. emerge - to come into being through evolution. ok back to work - i gotta pack." - Slaag Master

"As for Flock of Seagulls, everytime that song comes up on my ipod, I turn it up- way up." - goldenboy

Yea I tip em like everybody else, despite the fact that it's stupid.

As has been mentioned, tipping up front is asinine. How does sandwich guy know how much I tipped? Does the cashier radio back to the kitchen? If I leave him a fat 30% tip at the register does he make my sandwich any better? No.

I mostly agree with you. But I ALWAYS overtip at Street Foods, because they are (arguably) the best fucking tacos this side of Oaxaca, and I want them all to be happy, and thrive.
    But they are awfully expensive anymore.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Eh. I'd rather live in a world where everybody makes a decent wage appropriate to what they're putting into it, tips not needing to exist. But that's not where we're at, so oh well.

At any place that puts overall effort into food and service quality, even if it's wait-in-line-at-the-counter place, I'm happy to chip in some extra support (though the 20%+ "recommended" tip is kind of obnoxious). My way of saying "I value what this place is doing" even if I'm not getting personally served ice water refills. Particularly independent and other smallish restaurant operations, it's a tough job and a tough biz for the owners too.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I think zip code man is still around.
    Well I was the Devil Stick guys, so I know he's not around.

Right, the whole thing makes no sense. Even those who are big supporters of tipping very likely don't tip all the low wage workers who do work for them--why not? Flight attendants are pretty poorly paid (non-union commuter airline, anyway) and work their asses off, but no one ever tips them, etc. Thousands of examples.

This doesn't enter into my thinking on the issue, but as a former 'back of the house' restaurant worker I remember deeply resenting the front of the house staff for their cushy, well paid jobs. We'd be back there sweating our asses off, making minimum wage, and those fuckers would be paying each other $100 to cover shifts when they were too lazy to show up (so in those instances wait staff would be getting paid an extra $100 for the chance to make possibly a few hundred--I don't actually know how much they'd usually take home in tips, but it was a hell of a lot more than a kitchen prep guy was getting). At an expensive place the tipped workers actually do pretty well--I assume at many restaurants there are still a lot of workers who don't benefit, though. Anyway, same general point--businesses should just pay their workers fairly and we could dispense with the ridiculous tipping song and dance...what the rest of the world does, fairness, blah blah etc.
    [quote][//quote]

Quote Originally Posted by k2skier112 View Post
    Forced tipping

That's what happened to me
    Ordered a pie from Papa Murphy's, clicked place order without scrolling to the bottom of the page, they conveniently have the 15% tip box pre-checked
    That happens way too often now. I won't go back to businesses that do shit like this. I also try not to go back to businesses that charge more than a 3% premium for credit/debit card payments because that's the max difference their processor collects, that shouldn't be a profit center for the business.

Search JONG!

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...mall-purchases

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

^^^ a who's who of mags in the where are they now file

At my favorite lunch place in Sac--fantastic Bahn Mi's--where I'm well known they refuse to give me the credit slip to write in a tip. If I have cash I used to leave it but I stopped doing it because I figured I was being insulting. Maybe they figure because I'm old, disheveled, fly down that I'm poor. But then the delightful woman at the counter told me her sister is building a house in Lahontan so maybe she doesn't need tips.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    We had a guy who would ask your birthday, then tell you what day of the week it was. He was obviously using the doomsday algorithm, but the speed at which he could do it was amazing. And he would always remember- to the point where he'd see someone years later and blurt out "Dan! born on a Wednesday!"
    My brother could do that. Give him any date any year and he could instantly tell you the day of the week. I never saw him get it wrong.
    He was badly autistic--lived with my mom all his adult life after institutions as a kid. On top of that was a juvenile diabetic and died at 50. Talk about getting dealt a shitty hand.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    The whole thing is bullshit. Tip is based on service, no service (to go or counter service)- no tip, mediocre - 15% and really good gets maybe 20 and always pre-tax. I recently got called out on the pre-tax thing and said "oh wait, give me back the receipt" and tore it up so they had to give me a new one. They got nothing the second time.
    This! In my unscientific research, most “pre-calculated” tips at the bottom of a service receipt are based on the total bill (not the pre-tax amount!).
    Because rich has nothing to do with money.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    ^^^ a who's who of mags in the where are they now file
    I was immediately struck by how incredibly (and purposefully) douchey spook was, more than I even remembered. Mtngirl seemed to want to get in on that act as well. Literally going out of their way to be annoying. Odd behavior. Take a look at a 2003-2004 thread for a real taste of some of the missing (even though some still lurk and even post every now and then).
    [quote][//quote]

Just got back from brunch. The difference between paying with cash and tipping pre-tax vs card plus the minimum suggested 18% was $15. Fuck that.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Just got back from brunch. The difference between paying with cash and tipping pre-tax vs card plus the minimum suggested 18% was $15. Fuck that.
    Dude, your math is really making me wonder how much you're actually leaving these poor stiffs. Your brunch was $1000?? Or did you eat in a state with 50% sales tax? Because in NYS your tab would literally have to be about $1000 to create a $15 difference pre/post tax.

Personally, I think $15 might have been what you paid in tax, not the difference between tipping based off pre/post tax (here: if your bill actually was $1k pre-tax you'd tip $200 at 20%; post tax a $1k bill would be about $1080 which if tipped on that would result in a $216 tip, so...).

But maybe your brunch really was $1000...I don't know. Does per se serve brunch these days?? Or maybe you had brunch with a whole lot of people and picked up the tab for everyone.
    [quote][//quote]

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Rutecki View Post
    Take a look at a 2003-2004 thread for a real taste of some of the missing (even though some still lurk and even post every now and then).
    Think there have been some under the radar name/account changes too. I arrived in '05 under a different account and I think most of the OG Powder Mag posters were still around, but by about Rob Story o'clock most were looking for the door.

Tipflation?!?!

Maybe they got their own private Zuck facespace w Blurred?

i don’t go out much at all, but sure don't get the vibe at bars and restaurant type places of ‘screw it. all pays the same’ .. like i hear from bozo at co-op who’d rather have a nap than get his little kitten paws dirty.
    might be a function to direct $ feedback for server performance?

fast food advertising starting wages at what $20/hr, not the $2.35 'real' restaurant server base wage (or whatever it is). maybe has something to do with job classification idk. not sure where sandwich and coffee places fall. if tipping seems appropriate, i tip well. i spend so little it's just a couple dollars difference usually.
    i'm less sold on the takeout auto add tip thing, don't see much of that here. seems kinda shady.
    north bound horse.

The establishments in our little tourist town generally split tips between front and back of house. A large portion of the staff are college kids working summer jobs and living with ‘rents. Otherwise, housing costs are so high about 25% of the food service staff here are “non-recreational campers”.

So I have no problem tipping well (25%) for takeout and counter service.

I also tip my budtender between 15-25% depending on amount of guidance I get. But I’m high-maintenance with cannabis

And I tip my barber 25% ($5) for my bi-monthly buzz cut because she’s cool (and hot).

Quote Originally Posted by MiddleOfNight View Post
    i don’t go out much at all, but sure don't get the vibe at bars and restaurant type places of ‘screw it. all pays the same’ .. like i hear from bozo at co-op who’d rather have a nap than get his little kitten paws dirty.

LOL, is this English? It almost makes sense…as if it were written with AI…

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    LOL, is this English? It almost makes sense…as if it were written with AI…
    because i'm almost functionally literate.

just trying to say that i usually get good service from people who depend on tips. as opposed to my guy at co-op - who makes the same, regardless of the (low) level of service he provides.
    north bound horse.

That was always the European/French problem, the servuers really didn’t give a shit, as they were paid the same regardless. Somewhere along the line some of them figured out that yanks would potentially leave big tips if they just tried a little bit to be engaging and friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Rutecki View Post
    Dude, your math is really making me wonder how much you're actually leaving these poor stiffs. Your brunch was $1000?? Or did you eat in a state with 50% sales tax? Because in NYS your tab would literally have to be about $1000 to create a $15 difference pre/post tax.

Personally, I think $15 might have been what you paid in tax, not the difference between tipping based off pre/post tax (here: if your bill actually was $1k pre-tax you'd tip $200 at 20%; post tax a $1k bill would be about $1080 which if tipped on that would result in a $216 tip, so...).

But maybe your brunch really was $1000...I don't know. Does per se serve brunch these days?? Or maybe you had brunch with a whole lot of people and picked up the tab for everyone.
    $92 tab + ~8.90 tax + $5 cc add-on + ~$21 suggested tip =$127 vs 92 + $14 + $9 = 115. Oops it's only a $12 difference.

So I just picked up a keg at the brewery. You reorder at the bar and a bartender pulls your keg from the cooler to the garage door (12’). Should I tip? If so, should I tip at the liquor store when they pull a keg out for me? Why or why not?