Astrud Gilberto RIP

RIP indeed
    Learned of Ms Gilberto from my mom’s album collection. She was a big fan of all Latin rhythms.
    Thanks for the education mom.

RIP. Getz/Gilberto still goes down for me as one of the best recordings of all time. Mind blowing that Astrud had never sung professionally before then and the tracks she was on there for were hugely instrumental in what would become the staple "sound" of bossa nova. Recorded in 1963. Wow. I have a copy on SACD and on a high end setup, the audio quality is mind blowingly good. You feel like you are right there in front of them. THAT'S when I realized just how truly amazing her voice was. What a legend.

You should hear it on original vinyl run through tube only amplification

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    You should hear it on original vinyl run through tube only amplification

I have! Well, not an original pressing, but on a newer 180 gram vinyl variant on a high end tube amp paired with some outstanding speakers. Absolutely divine. That said, my SACD version seemed about equal. Of course both came off the same master reel from the 60s which was done SO well. But there's something about that spinning vinyl and analog setup that kind of completes the experience when it comes to this album. Kind of needs it to fully transport you back in time. In a quiet room with no distractions, martini in hand, it's surreal.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app

saw her in a brazilian club in nyc in the late 80's, blown away by both her and the band

Thanks G. I was worried this thread was about to discuss vinyl washing and anti stat techniques.

Quote Originally Posted by gorgonzola View Post
    saw her in a brazilian club in nyc in the late 80's, blown away by both her and the band
    You lucky dog. That must've been something else. Unfortunately I missed that scene by a generation or 2. FML. Always dug it.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    Thanks G. I was worried this thread was about to discuss vinyl washing and anti stat techniques.
    I’m not big on washing and the rest. This did send me searching for a new LP while I listened to a tribute to Astrud on KCSM-FM