Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Best online bank?

I am so over USAA and am considering finding a different banking option after 25 years. The local credit union is an option, but overall I have liked having an online bank and would prefer that option. I'm not that interested in highest interest rate, mostly concerned with things like customer support, ATM fee reimbursement, user friendly bill pay, good mobile app, etc.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

My $0.02?

Every single bank and cc out there has this stupid, constant need to reinvent their app and/or website. Constant new features, dashboard, and layout is the norm for every bank. Don't bother chasing the digital dragon because the moment you get used to it, they change it.
    Wait, how can we trust this guy^^^ He's clearly not DJSapp

Ally is fine but I also have a key bank acct so that I have access to a local branch cuz I found that there were too many times when I needed to deal in cash and couldn't effectively with the online bank
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    Ally is fine but I also have a key bank acct so that I have access to a local branch cuz I found that there were too many times when I needed to deal in cash and couldn't effectively with the online bank
    Exactly the same combo. Ally has been great. Good interest rates, no fees. Reliable web interface.

I've been happy with Ally/local CU option as well.

Not much else to say other than that.

cuz I found that there were too many times when I needed to deal in cash and couldn't effectively with the online bank
    I have been pretty exclusively online for 25 years, so I'm not concerned with the local branch. And I can always open an account at Elevations CU if needed.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Not DJSapp View Post
    My $0.02?

Every single bank and cc out there has this stupid, constant need to reinvent their app and/or website. Constant new features, dashboard, and layout is the norm for every bank. Don't bother chasing the digital dragon because the moment you get used to it, they change it.
    Yeah, I hear you. And I'm not considering leaving USAA because they've redesigned things, it's because of their absolute shit service, and their disregard for their customers. I have wanted to leave for years, but inertia has kept me with them. But to have a 100% online business and not have any way for customers to email you strikes me as a pretty absurd last straw. I don't want to go through a chat bot to then chat with a rep and maybe get some help.

The cashapp and Venmo platforms are way smoother ans simple than my bank app

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Yeah, I hear you. And I'm not considering leaving USAA because they've redesigned things, it's because of their absolute shit service, and their disregard for their customers. I have wanted to leave for years, but inertia has kept me with them. But to have a 100% online business and not have any way for customers to email you strikes me as a pretty absurd last straw. I don't want to go through a chat bot to then chat with a rep and maybe get some help.
    Interesting. Prior to the pandemic, I was very happy happy with USAA and their customer service always stood out to me. Over my lifetime, they've helped with insurance, mortgages, and banking. However, since March 2020, I can't think of a single outfit that has provided good customer service. And the trend is to virtual helpers via chat with the option of a live person eventually. Email is vanishing and those that offer will get back to you in 2-5 days or longer.

When USAA got out of the brokerage business, they sent my accounts to Schwab, and that's been fine. My checking/savings is still with USAA and they recently helped with an issue my son was having with his youth account. Since Schwab offers that stuff too, you might check them out. I think with any of these places, you'll find great and shit experiences.

I don't want to go through a chat bot to then chat with a rep and maybe get some help.
    Good luck. That's the way all CS is going.

Even though I do 99.9% of my banking online, getting an account at your local CU or community bank IMO is the way. Everyone has all the same features in their online banking/phone apps anyway, and then you have a physical location for the once in a blue moon that you need to get a bunch of cash to pay the hookers with or need to go get up in someone's shit to get things done because the online CS sucks.

I've been using fidelity Investments for some time now.

I don't have anything to complain about.,
    https://www.fidelity.com/go/join-fidelity-investments
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

My local bank that I use for business has a nice feature right in their online banking, secured encrypted direct email messages to any of their employees. I'd be surprised any online only bank does not have something similar to that.

Does the bank need to be fully online? I feel like most "online only" businesses are actually the hardest to deal with - they get rid of traditional means of communication.

Chase's website / app do whatever I need them to do, but they are also reachable by phone.

If you’re concerned about customer service and a decent app, Chase has been nothing but great in that regard.

When you look at how much information they’re siphoning and read about their machine learning programs it may give you pause.

But the app works well. Super easy to talk to a human when you have the need. Most branches I have been to have excellent IRL customer support. YMMV.

I believe Fidelity reimburses all ATM fees if you have investments with them. A friend uses them.

Schwab will reimburse all ATM fees, from anywhere in the world. I use them solely for this. Also have a Wells Fargo account for routine banking, check writing, convenient ATMs in the western US. Not that I particularly like Wells, but they're convenient for where I live.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinned View Post
    Does the bank need to be fully online? I feel like most "online only" businesses are actually the hardest to deal with - they get rid of traditional means of communication.

Chase's website / app do whatever I need them to do, but they are also reachable by phone.
    By online bank, I just mean I have no need for physical presence. I do want email and phone options, I just don't need a B&M bank nearby. I don't care if they do have physical locations, but I won't be using them.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    or need to go get up in someone's shit to get things done because the online CS sucks.
    For when you need to go full Karen.

I'm braiding this thread. Why the hell did banks ditch their coin machines! I want a brick and mortar that will take my loose coins!

Ally + Chase. Chase for most transactions, Ally for high interest savings/CDs. Zero complaints. (Well, don't use Ally Invest, but zero complaints about their banking side).

I've been happy with SoFi for almost two years now and they keep getting better. I haven't had to contact them directly so I don't know how that would go. Otherwise I really do prefer Chase for a variety of reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    I'm braiding this thread. Why the hell did banks ditch their coin machines! I want a brick and mortar that will take my loose coins!
    Getting change counted sucks these days. We collect change at work (and donate it to local pet charities) and it has turned into a real pain lately to find places to count it that don't take 10%.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Open a chat with your bank.

Getting change counted sucks these days. We collect change at work (and donate it to local pet charities) and it has turned into a real pain lately to find places to count it that don't take 10%.
    Our local 1st Bank will count change at some of their larger branches. At least they *used* to... haven't had it done in awhile...

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Everyone has all the same features in their online banking/phone apps anyway.
    I haven't found this to be the case at all. I see huge differences between various banks and their technology capabilities and interfaces.

Hate to say it but Wells Fargo online banking and app are the best I've found out of the four or five I deal with. Really easy to manage multiple accounts, move money, etc. They do not have a high yield savings option though.

I just had to close a Wells Fargo business checking and savings account

Already had a Citi account, Costco CC. Opened a checking and savings account 6 weeks ago. So far so good
    I almost went with Capitol One, their services and interest rates were similar

Fucking banks around me make us count AND roll it up, tight wads....