Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by boltonoutlaw View Post
    That habit will be costly in Japan where they have JP¥500 coins
    Is it huge like a Toonie? I probably have enough of those for lunch at Tim Horton's (minus the gas it would take to drive to Canada)

If you had USAA you might be able to get in at Fort Sill National Bank. I've been there since about 1980. I've got one of the oldest accounts there. We also do the local State Employees Credit Union, wife's connection.

Avoid the Esteemed Global National Bank of Nigeria... half star... do not recommend..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

CIT is paying 4.498%
    PayPal savings is 4.3%….I just started transferring money into there instead of my local bank savings of under 1%.

Quote Originally Posted by BC. View Post
    PayPal savings is 4.3%….I just started transferring money into there instead of my local bank savings of under 1%.
    PayPal accounts are not FDIC insured

I use Schwab for my primary checking and secondary brokerage. They have the best service of any bank I've ever used. Worldwide ATM reimbursement, they pick up the phone on the first ring, etc. Their interest rates on cash are terrible though.

I use Ally for savings and CDs. They are OK. Service is maybe 6/10 or 7/10. Sometimes you'll have to wait on hold for a long time to get a person when you call them. Interest rates are competitiveish.

I've also used Fidelity for online checking. It was OK but not as good as Schwab. Some ATM reimbursements didn't come through when they should have. I still have them for 401k/ HSA (not that I have a choice). Sometimes it takes a while to get a person when you call.

Vanguard is where I have my primary brokerage and IRA. I auto invest more with them than any other bank or broker. It's ok. I stay with them because of their not for profit mission, but their service has gone dramatically downhill in recent years.

Best online bank?

PayPal accounts are not FDIC insured
    I wondered about that too….but this is their statement:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1686186629.980966.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	392.2 KB 
ID:	461217

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20230607_201936715_HDR.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	461219
    I see hydraulic turtles.

Best online bank?

Timely thread as I’ve been looking for a bank to move one checking account to that pays over 4%.

And I’m a landlord with coin op laundry in one building so I dig the coin counting machines

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Best online bank?

Coin counters cost $20k for the machine plus a few thousand/year in servicing because you’d be shocked how many people try to run old fishing hooks and razor blades (!!) through those machines. Definition of loss leader.
    Last edited by Mustonen; 06-07-2023 at 09:04 PM.
    focus.

Those Coinstar machines you can buy gift cards with no fee, donate to charity, buy crypto, and I think I saw sports betting options on one. Heard they are trying to hookup with Zelle so people can make deposits directly to banks from those machines. Coins to cash has like a 10-11% fee.

I have a friend that works there.

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    Which bank is that?

My long time bank just got acquired by US Bank. They seem ok so far but I'm looking at options.
    CIT is paying 4.498%
    That one. I thought it was 4.7% but just checked and boltonoutlaw is correct...4.5%. Still a lot better than 0.25% with my local bank for some funds I'll be using near term.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Well, I'm not allowed to delete this post, but, I can say, go fuck yourselves, everybody!

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    Coin counters cost $20k for the machine plus a few thousand/year in servicing because you’d be shocked how many people try to run old fishing hooks and razor blades (!!) through those machines. Definition of loss leader.
    Those poor banks. Dealing with money issues. We all feel so bad for them.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Those poor banks. Dealing with money issues. We all feel so bad for them.
    Well, no… that’s just why they are hard to find.
    focus.

About a 1/3 done.

New ski day!
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Well, I'm not allowed to delete this post, but, I can say, go fuck yourselves, everybody!

Holy crap!

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    I've been biting my tongue, but people keep coins?

Every time you receive a coin, put it in the charity/donation box, tip jar, or the homeless guy's hand. Problem solved.
    I keep my spare coins in a jar in my car and at home. like others in this thread, I net about $50 a year when I cash in my jar. But I also enjoy rolling coins so I spend one or two nights a year watching a movie and rolling all the coins. it hurt years ago when i went into my credit union at the time with all my nicely rolled coins for the cashier to just crack em open and pour them into a coin counting machine. recently a Bank of the West branch told me they no longer accept coins, which was a little shocking as I walked in with a whole $19.50 in rolled coins haha Luckily, it seems like it was just this specific branch that was incompetent. for me, the whole process is very satisfying: save loose change, once a year I get to do some mindless counting and rolling of coins (just like I used to do with my grandparents) and then I get to into a bank with a bag of coins like an idiot and proudly deposit my $20-50 dollars. its the simple things fellas.

I keep our coins in a big bowl and use it to play poker with my kids. I wouldn't insult a service worker by unloading coins on them.

Speaking of cash money, Big Sky stopped accepting cash last year for any resort goods or services. Nada. Heard a few people bitching about it here and there, but most people realize cash is on its way out.

Best online bank?

Like checks.

Nobody will take your rolled coin because one time somebody heard about somebody filling a quarter roll with something worth less than a quarter and they WILL NOT be taken advantage of, even if it means spending $100 to not lose $10. Also, though, rolled coin is only useful if you sell more than you use, otherwise you gotta bag that shit up anyways.
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Speaking of cash money, Big Sky stopped accepting cash last year for any resort goods or services. Nada. Heard a few people bitching about it here and there, but most people realize cash is on its way out.
    The last time I was at the really big, which was probably the BBI in 2018?, I paid cash to avoid paying the resort tax. That tax really pissed me off every time I forgot about it, most places not owned by the resort were willing to accept cash and ignore the tax if you said something.

Finished it off tonight. Good grief...Grand total 879.86.

What online bank won? Maybe just at least who won for Danno?

Seems like this thread got derailed by loose change

I am going to try out Ally bank. But it probably won't happen for a couple of months, and then it will be a slow process as there are a lot of direct deposits and auto withdrawals that need to be changed.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Up here I been dealing with Tangerine bank ( used to be ING ) and they have been great
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Maybe online banking is the way to go: https://www.cnn.com/2023/06/29/us/ca...ced/index.html