How often should you change oil in low-mileage vehicle?

if you have a older vehicle that you only drive about 1,000 miles a year, how often should you change the oil? If it matters, 2013 Ford Transit Connect

Most folks recommend twice a year if you don't put enough miles on to do it by mileage
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

I’d maybe do it once a year if it’s outside exposed all the time. Modern oil formulations don’t break down like they did back in the day and modern engines are built with pretty tight tolerances and combustion effiencency that you don’t get fuel in the oil like you used to.

Even at once a year, I’d cringe at draining what is basically new oil.

Once a year. I'd use fuel stabilizer and drive it at least 20 mins once a month if possible too.

Is that two 500 mile trips or 500 two mile trips?

If i lived in the desert, once a year. If I lived where it rains, twice plus I'd take a 1 hour drive between changes to "cook" off moisture in the oil and exhaust system.
    Seeker of Truth. Dispenser of Wisdom. Protector of the Weak. Avenger of Evil.

How often should you change oil in low-mileage vehicle?

Good points on starting/driving periodically getting it up to temp to get rid of any moisture caused by temperature fluctuations.

If it’s parked in a temperature controlled garage, I’m not sure I’d even worry about changing the oil.

If it’s outside all the time, I’d still make sure to wash it on occasion, including undercarriage. We get so much corrosive grime on ours just from being parked in the city

How bad is the oil? If it's fairly clean, once per year is fine.

Definitely add fuel stabilizer. Even then, I'd drive it to empty and fill it up every 4-6 months. Bad gas is way more of a headache than engine oil.

If you don't get it fully up to temp once a month or so you'll have a fair bit of moisture buildup in the engine unless you're in the desert, and even them you'll get some but not enough to be concerned. So, if it sits do it every 6 months or so, if you use it a year should be fine.

Conventional oil 6 months or 5,000 miles. Synthetic 10K/yr or 20K/2Y depending on what kind.

Also, tech talk jong..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Lol. Lmao, even.

WTF ? I actually just had this conversation with my 87 yo aunt who drives about 2000 miles a year in a 05 Mini with about 25k miles. I told her I'm going to borrow it every few months for a Italian tune up and change every 18 months.

Thanks all- was thinking the suggestions I saw elsewhere that it be changed once or twice a year regardless of mileage was motivated by Big Oilchange but it looks like once a year it is (it gets fewer, longer-distance trips rather than a greater number of daily 1-mile trips).

And sorry if I should have posted this in tech talk but I think of that more as for skiiing tech stuff but I see that's not necessarily the case