Front Derailleur Frustrations

Front Derailleur in a 3x9 clamp on 31.8 seat post, not braze-on. Trying to resolve issues with a Specialized Allez triple front shifting issue. This is a bottom pull also. The bicycle came with a Tiagra front derailleur that failed and I found a Shimano 105 used to replace it. It has been problematic. Either shifts too far and drops the chain in on the bottom bracket, or it will only sometimes shift between the middle ring and upper ring and not go to the small inner. Had more than 1 person attempt to do the adjustments that are better than I am with shifting adjustments and it has still been a problem.
    So at this point need to either try another derailleur or do both a derailleur and a new cable (cable less than estimated 1200 miles since it was replaced).

So brand new options at this point are Microshift (FD-R353-B??) or Shimano Claris (FD-R3030-B- which if correct more than 1 local shop can't get for me due to supply shortages) or else another older used Shimano Tiagra like originally on it stock, another 105, or Ultegra possibly (unsure of the various part numbers though with the different series in searching)...

^^^ have you tried messing with the cable clamp? Kinda sounds like the cable is clamped wonky, which can mess with the pull ratio.

is the 105 made for 2 or 3 ring systems?

Clean and lube everything on the used 105 as well. Plus new cable/housing. Small amounts of friction can really add up to shitty shifting

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    is the 105 made for 2 or 3 ring systems?

Clean and lube everything on the used 105 as well. Plus new cable/housing. Small amounts of friction can really add up to shitty shifting
    It was used, but advertised as triple. I'll have to check the actual Shimano part number on it. But pretty sure it is a triple. Had a power outage for about 6 hours today so did not get as much accomplished as planned.

What process do you recommend for a thorough cleaning, remove it and soak it and reinstall after lubing it?

Post a picture of it in the high gear.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

+1 on checking how the cable routes through the cable clamp.

That actually used to be a legitimate trick for adjusting the pull-ratio to make rear derailleurs work with cassettes with different cog spacing: See diagrams here: https://www.sheldonbrown.com/drivetr...html#alternate
    Name:  dura-ace-cable-anchor.gif
Views: 110
Size:  9.3 KB
    Name:  dura-ace-cable-anchor-c.gif
Views: 107
Size:  6.4 KB

I'm not familiar with the 105 FD (and haven't owned an FD in a few years), but make sure you're on the correct side of the fixing bolt and have the cable routed the right way. It could have even gotten moved as you tightened the fixing bolt. There may be a little tab you're supposed to be inside of/outside of. For example, look at the problem this person was having with a Tiagra FD:
    https://bicycles.stackexchange.com/q...-cable-routing