muddy creek, Hanksville

heading over there tomorrow. Was wondering about put in and take out. Probably putting in at 70. Want to take out at Salt Wash. Was wondering how the Factory Butte was to drive. Have a 4x4 but not really interested in making it a 4x4 trip. Would rather float the 22 miles out to the hwy with some dragging than spend 4 hrs in the truck
    off your knees Louie

I'd put in at Tomsich Butte and take out at hidden slendor mine. Or at least that's how I've done it before.

The roads weren't bad when I did it before and we used an AWD subaru hatchback and Toyota 4runner to shuttle. I'd be leary of adding on to the run as that's not a big creek and is currently running at 155 cfs, which is good for the chute, but that seems like a lot of mileage added on.

Drove most of Factory Butte this week - as always it's wide and well maintained. The section east of the river crossing is much much slower if you are cutting across from Goblin Valley. But taking out at Hidden Splendor is what a lot of people do to avoid a longer drive (if putting in at Tomish). The section below Hidden Splendor is nice though and worth it if you have the time. The road to hidden Splendor from i70 would be long, if you start at i70 just go to Salt Wash for takeout, you will be on nice roads the whole way and it's 'quick'

thanks, so going north from 24 on Factory Butte is ok, past the OHV area all the way to the river.
    off your knees Louie

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    thanks, so going north from 24 on Factory Butte is ok, past the OHV area all the way to the river.
    if I remember right yes it’s all good. I can at least say the majority is easy. Lots of deep ditches have formed this year from water runoff though, should be fine in a regular truck is my guess

Roads were good. Graded most of the way short section of cap rock. From 70 there is barbwire under the hwy. We were able to float under. Than 4 logs across on route to lone tree. Pack rafts hot under duckie got pinned. Definite hazards. Lone tree probably better starting place.
    off your knees Louie