Whistler-Blackcomb, BC

Ongoing Whistler Blackcomb conditions reports.

Re: Whistler-Blackcomb, BC

Originally posted by joshbu
    Ongoing Whistler Blackcomb conditions reports.
    Well...thank you. I don't feel like I'm in the dark anymore. Keep up the good reports JB.

Re: Re: Whistler-Blackcomb, BC

Originally posted by trainnvain
    Well...thank you. I don't feel like I'm in the dark anymore. Keep up the good reports JB.
    I was kinda hoping some other minions would pick up the slack. I can give you the report from a couple weeks ago...

Don't look in my direction fer that. Spent four figures on booze alone last time I was there(6 days!). Dangerous place.

Pics from Peak's opening day sat. dec 13 '03

Click HERE

lots of very heavy pow but still lots of rocks

the last few in the directory are the remaining shots of my first peak-to-creek pow run of the year.
    Last edited by 778skier; 12-15-2003 at 06:07 PM.

1/10/2004

About 4 new inches on the mountain today. The fury of the Whistler tourists and locals charging the Peak Chair as it opens is astouding. We got in a few decent laps off of the Peak. The lower mountain definitly had a "hard pack" zone and then a "slush zone" below that with a layer of fog thrown in. Later in the day, we found a nice cornice to do some hucking off of (#6 in Harmony Bowl.) There was avy debris everywhere today. It was mostly still soft because the freezing level rose all day, but many of the bowls off of the Peak (Whistler Bowl and Bagel Bowl) along with Harmony bowl were loaded with the stuff. You could also feel the snow sloughing off anywhere were it hadn't already slid.

1/11/2004

Today was a very typical Whistler day: there was now new snow, periods of mixed snow and rain, a dense layer of fog holding on the mid mountain, sun breaks up above. High on the mountian the snow had escaped the dreaded refreeze. The middle of the mountian was approaching blue ice in the morning, espically on highly trafficed runs. The lower mountain was slush and only got slushier as the day went on. We flailed a bit on where to go. Some poeple wanted to stay low, I wanted to make laps in the park, and the eventuial winner was a top to mid-station run via GEX down the ridge line past the top of the Crystal Ridge Chair over to Ridge Runner. I'm not usually on for softish blues, but it was hard to find the right combination of good snow and good terrain today.

its friday the 13th today and here's the forcast for the next couple days.

Extended Forecast For Whistler - Blackcomb.
    Sunday.. Snow. Snowfall Accumulation 20 To 25 Cm. Freezing Level 1000 Metres.
    Monday.. Snow. Snowfall Accumulation 9 To 15 Cm. Freezing Level 1000 Metres.
    Tuesday.. Snow Mixed With Rain. Snowfall Accumulation 10 To 20 Cm.

dammit why does it always dump on the 3 days of the week that i absolutely cant go.

16 - The number of hours until my plane departs for Whistler. Sorry, didn't mean to rub it in TOO badly.

2/21/2004-2/22/2004

These days were basically identical. The 21rst was super duper bluebird and the 22nd only saw a few clouds. Cold in the morning with firm snow and then softening up in the the afternoon. In typical Whistler tradition, the 40cms of pow they had gotten over the course of the week was already fully worked into the snowpack. However, there was a slide on Flute when the cornice broke. (Tons of sunshine on a cornice that hadn't broken all season... go figure...) So anything in the sun was very affected with lots of crust. Stick to north facing aspects as much as possible for the best snow.

2-14 -> 2-19

I was up there all last week, although only Tuesday 17 really counted.

Saturday, Sunday, Monday, skied with relatives from Montreal. Not too strenuous, actually the odd pocket of soft snow to be found. Foggy on Saturday, clearer Sunday, snowed Monday starting around 10Am

They left Tuesday morning, jus time for a bluebird day with around 25 cm or so from the previous day and night. I really can't believe they could drive away with all that waiting for them, but ce la vie. I got on the 2nd gondola at Creekside, did some laps in vd trees, ratfink etc. until Peak opened. Waited for about 15 minutes watching everyone throw themselves off the cliff band to the right of the chair. Someone blew up, then almost got taken out by someone else attempting to occupy the same bomb hole. They almost needed a monitor to dispatch each jumper, terrain park style. Someone dropped to lookers left of air jordan, big single drop, couple of big turns avoiding the trees, then over the waterfall. Saw about 3 people attempt some sort of invert, almost landed them.

Managed about 5 laps through Peak, wonderful snow, avoiding random people stopping at the wrong spots (around blind traverses, halting to look at the view when there's 5 more coming up behind), finally stopped when my legs decided that they really are 48.

Next day was overcast, a bit warmer, empty mountain. I skied harmony with almost no lineups. Still fresh lines.

Thursday I ventured over to Blackcomb, decided that I didn't like it and came back to Whistler (I always seem to find softer snow on the Whistler side, can also stay higher). I scared myself on exhiliration (or is it excitation?), then watched Joe Lammers ski the top and straightline the bottom. This was through all the cut up remnants of Tuesday.

Back home on Friday, next trip march 12-19 (Full load of relative this time)