Goretex ACTIVE or PACLITE: worth it?

Hi all
    I own the Arct Gamma LT and the Black Diamond Alpine Start Hoody. I carry either one or the other, and if I have to carry the hardshell (expected rain/snow), then I do not carry the Gamma, but only the Alpine for the way up.

Few friends have Montura jackets which are very light, thin and packable, made in Goretex Active and Paclite:

https://www.montura.it/it/men/magic-...mjat08x-ts442/

https://www.montura.it/it/men/pac-mi...mjat27x-ts449/

(Here in Italy Montura is a very popular brand, but I understand it is almost unknow abroad).

They said that they have been using it on the ascent as windbreaker and as external shell on the way down.

Years ago, after learning the difference between hard and softshell/windbreaker

Is the light Goretex really a replacement for a breathable windbreaker and also be waterproof? any direct experience? would be worth using it and travel lighter?
    It seems Goretex Active is not so popular anymore, in the sense it doesnt look many brands produce jackets with this material
    thanks in advance

Never tried active, but have had shells with paclite. I may be mistaken but i thought it was just a thinner, lighter and less abrasion resistant version of goretex pro. I know it depends on face fabric and 2.5 vs 3 layer construction, but i thought of it as a lower "denier" goretex. From personal experience i would consider it just the same as any conventional goretex, just don't expect to use it with a lot of bushwhacking or rock scrambling, and be more careful with your ski edges.

As for goretex in general, for aerobic activities if it really breathes at all is far less important than if it has pit zips. No membrane breathes well if you're actually active, so dumping heat and moisture through vents is more important. I'm an avid backpacker and have found that the non rain layer i always wanted were the newest, super ultralight windbreakers (paired either with a puffy jacket or a fleece). You get warmth from your base and mid layers and can don or shed these 2-4oz windbreakers in a second when there's wind. and you can stuff them anywhere (they're tiny). They breath better than true waterproof shells but still block wind, weigh nothing, and pack easily.

If there's actual precipitation involved then for summer (water) i use a disposable poncho (super cheap and light ones), because they are 100% waterproof, throw on over you and your pack and breath well out the open bottom. In winter (snow) then it depends on how cold it is. Super cold/dry snow doesn't require much special. Warmer/wetter snow i would pick a bomber goretex pro shell or a lighter goretex paclite shell based on the aforementioned abrasion resistance needed.

I have no experience with hybrid material jackets (breathable panels and waterproof hood/shoulders/etc). These may solve all your problems, or may be complete dudd. I've always shied away because they look dorky and don't seem up my alley. For all i know i could really be missing out, but have been super, super pleased with super lightweight windbreaker and an insulating layer combo. Here's my favorite windbreaker:

https://www.montbell.us/products/dis...03106&gen_cd=1

Both GORE-TEX Active and Pro are signifantly more breathable than Paclite, which is 2.5L and most suitable for emergency rain protection when hiking, etc. Paclite also feels clammy against the skin. I own or have owned all three membranes, but no longer have any Paclite stuff.

Currently, Active is pretty much confined to very thin face fabrics in the 15-30 denier range (aimed at trail running), while Pro is used in garments in fabric weights from 40-100 denier. You can put any membrane in any fabric weight you want, but my favorite for touring, both in terms of packability and protection, is probably a 40 denier Pro jacket. IME Active and Pro are breathable enough to eliminate the pit zips, which is what most companies do in lighter jackets to reduce weight, bulk and manufacturing expense.

I'm currently using an Arc'teryx Beta LT while travelling through Italy and it's been perfect for the sporadic downpours - it's also the jacket I normally use when ski touring. Italians with umbrellas may look more stylish, but they don't stay any drier.

Good info from gregL. Didn't realize paclite was used only for 2.5L construction, but makes sense. Personally i need vents on gore pro (as well as paclite), but I imagine their waterproofness is very similar. In doing some research it seems softshells have gotten much lighter and more breathable in the years since I last bought one. The rab borealis and black diamond alpine start got me wanting to try them in comparison to a windshirt paired with an insulating layer

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post

Currently, Active is pretty much confined to very thin face fabrics in the 15-30 denier range (aimed at trail running),
    to be honest i cannot find so many brands using the Active. Just Montura and Salewa.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    while Pro is used in garments in fabric weights from 40-100 denier. You can put any membrane in any fabric weight you want, but my favorite for touring, both in terms of packability and protection, is probably a 40 denier Pro jacket. IME Active and Pro are breathable enough to eliminate the pit zips, which is what most companies do in lighter jackets to reduce weight, bulk and manufacturing expense.
    does the Pro40 really packs down as the Active?

Quote Originally Posted by lorcar View Post
    does the Pro40 really packs down as the Active?
    In my experience Active is softer and packs a lot better.

A own an Arc'teryx Rush (N40p-x + N80p-x on the shoulders) and a BD Helio Active Shell (N30p-x). Helio is softer, lighter and packs better. Additionally, IMHE it is a step ahead in therms of breathing but its weather resistance (cold/wind) is noticeably worse than Goretex Pro.
    I own a Marmot Nano Active Shell too which i believe is N40p-x and and it also packs better than the Arc.

I have a dynafit shell with goretex active. Id echo what others are saying. Breathes much better than paclite and more durable as well. I cant remember the model name of mine but its become a fave for touring if i think theres a chance of getting wet, whether rain, wet snow, or less frigid days. The jacket is hip length w hood and stripped down to just 2 decent sized chest pockets , no pit zips and just elestic at the cuffs. It packs up small in my pack. Still a shell and i still ascend in a light softshell but active definitely breathes better than ski hill weight shells and especially paclite. I sold my hybrid shell/softshell combo jacket. The active makes more sense most days , is lighter, and takes up way less space. FWIW, i have no idea if there is something new thats been developed that is better. Maybe something with added stretch thats still as waterproof? That seems to be the trend

Sent from my SM-A536W using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by lorcar View Post
    . . does the Pro40 really packs down as the Active?
    No. I have 40 denier Arc'teryx jackets in both Active and Pro, and the Active packs smaller. The Pro isn't much bulkier, though, and I suspect it's much more durable.

I realize i am giving my own general WPB membrane advice (which is obviously that I choose breathability via non membrane layers when there's no precipitation and breathability by WPB garments with zip vents when there is precipitation) and not being that helpful with your specific quest. I will try to be more helpful since there are times and places that sustained uphill in wet conditions are unavoidable, so I understand your quest for the most packable/breathable WPB jacket. Sounds like gore active is worth a shot, but just saw this membraned softshell from rab in a store today and thought of your post. No experience myself, obviously, but i was shocked by its nice thin (but not TOO thin) stretchy construction to see that it also claims PU membrane waterproofness and rab's own maximum breathability raring. Worth a serious look;

https://rab.equipment/uk/kinetic-2-0...ve_uk_products

Like others said, paclite sucks. Not very breathable, not very waterproof, not very durable

I've had the same Paclite shell (Marmot minimalist) for 15 years for summere backpacking and day hiking. Lightweight, packs small, still waterproof. Breathability is relative--like chewski I manage it by venting, unzipping, managing under layers etc. As I've said in this forum before--you can get all sweaty hiking naked if it's hot enough or you're fast enough. There is no magic fabric.

Had a jacket with Active and loved how I never over heated but the factory DWR failed so I replaced it with Pro. Seems they had some issues with Active but I'm sure it's not a factor anymore. Besides most options for Active seemed to be in running or cycling if I remember correctly but don't hold me to that. I used mine skiing and hiking.

IMO Pro is better than any of the other options that Gore Tex has has a membrane but that's from a prospective of more than 5 years ago. Haven't acquired anything new so I could be wrong. Yes it's heavier but it performs as good in dumping heat with added durability.

I do have a Paclite/C-net jacket and the weight is minimal. The performance is very good because it doesn't have that garbage bag effect like my old 100% Paclite.

Therefore go for the Active but I highly recommend the Pro for the long run.

I would add - although PacLite is not great for high output activities; PacLite is ideal for a city/travel raincoat.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

today had the chance to try the Montura in Active, and it is light and packs supersmall (really impressive). So I am still not sure this can be really compared to the Pro with 40D, it seems more that these are two different products.
    Since I have already the BD Alpine Start and a hard shell in Dermizax, i wonder if I should pull the trigger on the Active or not. The Pro seems too similar to the Dermizax.

Goretex active is just slightly more breathable than gotetex pro (regular). Gotetex pro most rugged is less breathable than both, but still much better than any other goretex. Those are the only ones I’ll wear. The rest of the goretexes are crap imo.

Echo others' comments. Have used Paclite (what everybody else said), 80D Gore Pro (favourite for skiing, but its in my bag on the up), and 30D Gore Active (best I've used for gore breathability, my use case is MTB jacket). All that said, as I run hot, have decided that, for me, gore is the wrong material for output; yah its super water proof, but not breathable enough for my temps.
    OP, skip pac lite, but if you run cold, gore active, or even pro, may be the ticket.
    Below (first) article has breathability ratings for different gore, unfortunately active is omitted. Second article lists active simply as >25,000 (which is the Pro #). Cheers.

http://www.gearassistant.com/is-gore-tex-breathable/

http://www.trekandtravel.com.au/blog...mbrane-ratings