Question nikwax tech alternatives?

Apparently nikwax is hard to locate these days. Looking to do the end of the season launder - what else is out there & accessible?

I had good experience with Grangers. But still it was not as good as factory coating, although, same for nikwax.

Both REI and Amazon have the Nikwax tech wash in 10 oz and 28 oz sizes in stock. REI has their 20% member coupon active until 5/29 too if you don't have anything else you want to spend it on.

Seal blubber, I’ll drop some by!

Quote Originally Posted by SoVT Joey View Post
    Seal blubber, I’ll drop some by!
    ya may have to as no one in the area carries anything anymore.

Nikwax/ grangers/ revivex all that water based DWR is the same stuff IME

I always use the spray-on porducts so when I ran out I did half a Arcterxy Beta shell in one brand and half in another brand right down the middle to see the difference and they were pretty much the same after 9 months
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by NBABUCKS1 View Post
    This is what I use too. Smaller bottle: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001DLF6C2/
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Went GearX Reviver via Walmart - hate doing it, but dont have time to hunt stuff down in rural wilderness.

Heard good stuff about that Atsko wash--was planning to pick it up after my big 1L bottle of Grangers ran dry, but I managed to make it through all of our winter clothes on what I had left.

That 64oz bottle for $20 is hard to beat. Grangers/Nikwax are more than double the price.

Atsko sport wash. Been using it for a long time now. Wash all my wool in it as well and hunting clothes. Great stuff and inexpensive.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

This is the way - been a fan for over 20 years and definitely wash all sports gear, wool, and workout clothing in it.

Then us a wash-in DWR or better seems the spray on kind - there is one that is a silicone spray on for horse stuff and it doesn’t clog the pores of the waterproof breathable stuff.

Would have to dig a bit to find the name.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Atsko sport wash. Been using it for a long time now. Wash all my wool in it as well and hunting clothes. Great stuff and inexpensive.

I use 303 Fabric Guard. Mainly designed for boat awnings, it works well on tech fabrics.

Been using 303 products for car detailing for almost 20 years. Solid.

they do make good stuff, didn't realize they made fabric OK product - will have to check it out - thanks for noting that...

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsAugustWest View Post
    I use 303 Fabric Guard. Mainly designed for boat awnings, it works well on tech fabrics.

Been using 303 products for car detailing for almost 20 years. Solid.

Obenauf's is the brand of silicone spray I've used with good success on my waterproof breathables. Their bees wax products are also great - for your gloves, leather boots, etc.

The big issue with the dwr is that it's now required to be PTFE free which is where the industry is going for good reason, so from the factory it's good for a bit then you have to refresh way quicker than you did with the nasty DWR.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002UBI3TC

Quote Originally Posted by PNWcement View Post
    This is the way - been a fan for over 20 years and definitely wash all sports gear, wool, and workout clothing in it.

Then us a wash-in DWR or better seems the spray on kind - there is one that is a silicone spray on for horse stuff and it doesn’t clog the pores of the waterproof breathable stuff.

Would have to dig a bit to find the name.

Since this thread morphed into dwr spray and not tech wash as it was originally manifested, 303 is a superior dwr for outerwear.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Since this thread morphed into dwr spray and not tech wash as it was originally manifested, 303 is a superior dwr for outerwear.

303 is the shit, lasts many times longer than anything else I’ve tried.

Update: the GearAide stuff seems to work & in the complete mess that is my home, I found my 2 gallons of Nikwax hiding under a sink.