Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need Help With Ireland Itinerary

We’re headed to Ireland in a month for my sister’s wedding and we really haven’t made many plans yet. We will be landing in Shannon on a Monday and need to be in Belfast Friday night. We were thinking about heading to Dingle for the first two nights and then Galway for two night before heading to Belfast.

It will be me, my wife, and nine year old daughter. We’ll be renting a car to make the tour. For whatever reason I’m really feeling lost on this trip. There are so many places to see. We don’t want to run around frantically, but want to make the most of the trip. Any suggestions???

Sorry for the formatting. I had a fresh off the boat co worker make me a cheat sheet a couple of years ago.

Dublin:
    · Kilmainham Gaol: it's definitely worth a visit if you're into history at all. The leaders of the 1916
    Easter Rising (against the British) were killed by firing squad here. There are some heartbreaking stories
    inside. You don't really need to know the history, they'll explain it all in there.
    · Guinness Storehouse: I know you know what this is - don't forget your free pint at the top! You can
    also find out if any of your ancestors - or at least those with your same last name - worked for Guinness!
    · Jameson Distillery is nice, but if you're going up the North, you might want to try Bushmills instead-
    it's not far from the Giant's Causeway.
    · Temple Bar is fun to walk through - it's a whole area of cobbled streets and bars, with buskers
    outside them usually. There is an actual bar called "The Temple Bar" but it's just ok, it's really more of a
    tourist trap than anything.
    · There's a cool little microbrewery down the street next to the Liffey called J.W Sweetman, it's
    pretty nice.
    · O'Donoghues Bar: this is where you should go if you're looking for an authentic Irish bar. Be careful
    though - there's a good one and a shitty one. This is the authentic one:
    http://www.odonoghues.ie/
    · For food - try Mulligan's Grocer:
    http://lmulligangrocer1.weebly.com/
    or if you're after something
    like a sandwich, the "Pig and Heifer" is a good option, there's a few of them dotted around the city.
    · O'Connell street is one of the main streets in Dublin - you'll find the GPO (General Post Office - if
    you look closely you should spot the bullet holes in it from the 1916 Easter Rising!) and the most
    pointless "sculpture" in the world - The Spire.
    · Trinity College is worth a walk through. It was built in the 1590s. The Book of Cells is housed here -
    it is behind glass though, so you won't see a lot.
    · Grafton Street is another of the bigger, well-known streets. You'll find a lot of shopping and buskers
    walking through here.
    County Clare:
    · Cliffs of Moher: don't miss them if possible.
    · The Aillwee Caves: not sure if that's up your street or not!
    www.aillweecave.ie
    · Bunratty Castle: nice castle but probably not necessary if you're already staying in one!
    · Durty Nellys: it's one of the best-known bars in Ireland!
    http://www.durtynellys.ie/
    · Lahinch: a lot of people go here to surf
    County Galway:
    · The city itself is really nice
    · Connemara: really pretty area!
    https://www.connemara.net/category/t...o-do-connemara
    · Aran Islands: you can grab a boat over to them for a day trip
    · Salthill: it's really just a beach, it's where a lot of locals/tourists will hang out
    · The Spanish Arch: it's not very exciting, but it's a super old archway
    County Donegal:
    · Slieve League: super scenic, great for a hike
    · Malin Head: you can say you made it to the most northerly point of Ireland
    · Narin Beach/Portnoo: it's really nice. It's really just a beach but there's a little island that you can
    walk to when the tide is low. We used to try to make it there as kids but you only have like an hour to
    walk out and get back before the tide cuts you off again!
    https://www.wildatlanticwayonline.com/map-
    of-donegal-wild-atlantic-way/discovery-points/narin-portnoo-beach/
    County Sligo:
    · Benbulbin: just a pretty iconic mountain
    · Drumcliffe: it's where W.B. Yeats is buried, if you're into poetry at all
    · Classiebawn Castle: this was the summer home of Lord Mountbatten (if you're watching/watched
    The Crown, that name will ring a bell). The IRA bombed his boat of the coast of Mullaghmore in the 70s.
    County Mayo:
    · Keem Bay is gorgeous
    The North:
    . If you're crossing the border, Belfast is worth a visit just to say you were there. I've heard the Titanic
    museum is really good - background, the Titanic was built in Belfast. If you are heading up north the only
    thing you should definitely visit is the Giant's Causeway and the Carrick-A-Rede rope bridge!
    County Cork:
    . I think Cork/Kerry area is a must. It's so beautiful. Blarney Castle is in Cork, so you can kiss the
    Blarney stone there. (Empty your pockets before you do it unless your happy to part ways with
    whatever is in them.) Cork City is really nice.
    . There's a wee town called Cobh. (Pronounced: Cove) It's by the sea and super pretty. In the
    summer, people just fish off the pier. Also in Cork, Fota Wildlife Park.
    . Gougane Barra is probably one of my most favourite places in Cork - it's super scenic and there is a
    tiny church out on an island that looks like it's out of a painting. There's also a pub. So it all works out
    very well.
    County Kerry:
    . In Kerry you can go to see the Ring of Kerry (just google it or Killarney), which is probably one of
    the most scenic areas in the country. Tralee is in Kerry. Depending on when you are going, there is a
    huge festival in Tralee every August called the Rose of Tralee International Festival. Dingle is also
    gorgeous.
    Other Ideas:
    · Ulster American Folk Park: it's in Tyrone. It's about 90 mins southwest of Ballycastle. It's all about
    Irish emigration to America.
    · Newgrange: it's probably about a half hour from Cabra.
    https://www.newgrange.com/

to add to this thorough post ^ I also found the Chester Beatty museum interesting if you’re at all into history - specifically religious history.

The area of the country between Cork and Dingle is beautiful (as mentioned above).

Mayo: don't miss achill Island and the drive to keem ( NOT keel, the big one) beach. The hike up the mountain there and down to the "hidden beach" is extremely scenic. We only saw a part when we bouldered on the south slope but it seemed really cool. Especially the drop to the North. Maybe not as impressive as Slieve League but still.

Same for the sleahead drive to coumeenoulee beach in kerry.
    Dingle peninsula is nice but really "crowded" by irish standards. Still. Coumeenoulee is a must.

That should settle your need for fantastic beaches.

Driving a Horse carriage up the gap of dunloe in kerry seemed tourist fun. I only bouldered there so I don't know

If you don't like people Northern donegal is fantastic landscape wise.
    Glenveaugh National Park and the castle gardens are nice.
    The beaches in the far north near melmore are stunning and absolutely deserted. We had the one near Rossan Caravan Park to ourselves in high season in August when it was 23 degrees and sunny. Crazy.

Castles: Bunratty castle near shannon is the one my daughter likes most so far. Be sure to book the medieval dinner in the great hall. Real fun as far as touristy things go. And I sure don't like such things.
    King Johns castle in Limerick is also ok.

Rock of cashel you only need an hour drive by to say oooh nice picturesque Ruin and setting but that's it.

Only if you're in the area: easkey has a nice Ruin you can climb up in the Walls. ( no safety stuff so be careful) and watch one of ireland most famos surf spots from above.

Generally speaking: kerry and clare are a lot more crowded on thewild atlantic way than mayo and donegal in the northwest.

I have no idea about the east or central ireland since we only surf (and climb if there are no waves) there.
    In 5 years I haven't even seen dublin
    Last edited by subtle plague; 05-24-2023 at 12:15 AM.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Thanks for all the tips so far. Before we start planning details and specific excursions, we need to figure out what general areas to stay in. If we have four nights before we need to be in Belfast, does it make sense to split it into two nights in two different areas like Dingle and Galway? Other ideas? Once we figure out where we're staying, we can work on the rest of the details. Thanks!

Just leave extra time to travel. There are a lot of sheep on the roads.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by jerlane View Post
    Thanks for all the tips so far. Before we start planning details and specific excursions, we need to figure out what general areas to stay in. If we have four nights before we need to be in Belfast, does it make sense to split it into two nights in two different areas like Dingle and Galway? Other ideas? Once we figure out where we're staying, we can work on the rest of the details. Thanks!
    That really depends what you want to do. One night in dingle and moving up each day is also possible.

ireland is not THAT big. In 3 hours you can drive up half of the western coast so 2-3hours in the car each day leaves plenty of time to see things.

I would not go further down than dingle though because you have to go all the way up again. The Ring of kerry is slow. A lot faster travel from dingle/ Limerick northward if you need to.

Great choice to visit the SW of Éire.

If this link works it opens the itinerary (in Google Earth) that I drove in 2007. This was a 10-day trip and we often dawdled for museums, food, drink, and good cheer. I brought a portable kayak in a golf bag and got a few nice paddles in as well.

I was valet & driver for a family member who just wanted to look out the window so we did not go hiking, surfing, etc., though there are many opportunities for those activities and I was bugging over waves I saw on the route. The countryside is spectacular, the beaches some of the most beautiful I've seen anywhere, the villages amusing and pleasant, the food delicious, and the hosts very gracious.

Some honorable mentions are Clonakilty for a honest-to-goodness blue-collar town overshadowed by nearby tourist-ready Kinsale.

The beach at Barleycove is fantastic, and close to Mizen Head which is as worthy a sight as Cliffs of Moher.

As you mentioned Dingle, I loved that small city. Nearby Annascaul features Inch Beach which is has beautiful vistas and a long broad beach great for walking. On the right swell good waves focus in here. Nearby Ventry is wonderful. The northside of the Dingle features a working fishing town of Castlegregory that I really enjoyed.

If you get over to Galway and have time head west to Roundstone. It has a great setting and I was surprised to find palm trees here, evidence of the Gulf Stream working its magic.

Drink Guinness!

Name:  IRELAND.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  384.2 KB

Inch Beach at Annascaul

Name:  ANNASCAUL.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  333.2 KB

Bantry House

Name:  BANTRY.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  467.0 KB

Barleycove

Name:  BARLEYCOVE.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  343.4 KB

The Folds at Mizen Head

Name:  MIZEN HEAD.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  444.9 KB

The harbor at Roundstone

Name:  ROUNDSTONE.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  478.2 KB

Abbey Bar at Timoleague

Name:  TIMOLEAGUE.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  400.1 KB

What if you think Guinness is overrated and want to drink other Irish Stouts?

With that amount of time I'd go straight to Galway, spend a day there, go to Connemara staying in Clifden or thereabouts, and circle up to Belfast through Sligo and Donegal, sticking to the coast roads mainly. It's a small paiece of the country but a beautiful one and you don't have much time. I like the West but my roots are there so I may be prejudiced.

Quote Originally Posted by riser4 View Post
    tell the bartender (I think I'm falling in love)

Move upside and let the man go through...

Draw a line from Dublin to Galway. South of there, you drink Murphys.

I'd heard that Guinness tasted better in Ireland. That is the truth. Murphy's was also very good.

There's gotta be something other than those two?

drink 3 Guinness in Ireland and after that you’ll be craving it - and a non stout beer will taste off

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    drink 3 Guinness in Ireland and after that you’ll be craving it - and a non stout beer will taste off
    Blasphemy!

Lough gill makes excellent ipas!

https://loughgillbrewery.com/

The cutback is one of my all time Favoriten...and it's surf Themed.

Edit: and I see that they're making barrel aged stout as well now.

Oh I wasn’t implying other Irish beers aren’t good - just reporting my anecdotal story of how I rarely if ever drink Guinness before or after trips to Ireland - but when I’m there it ends up being what I drink almost exclusively because I quickly acquire a taste for it and the start craving it - and drink it so much that everything else tastes wrong to me

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    I was asking about other stouts, not non stouts. I've had Murphys in the US. There's got to more to Ireland than Guinness and Murphy's.

I was asking about other stouts, not non stouts. I've had Murphys in the US. There's got to more to Ireland than Guinness and Murphy's.
    Whiskey

I visited two local breweries with good beer. Franciscan Well in Cork and Killarney Brewing. Both had good local stouts and ales.

I'll add that a whiskey tour for a smaller distiller was pretty cool. We arrived late in the day and got a private tour (not on purpose, they just weren't busy).

Galway: great music at Taafes Bar and Tigh Choili. Bonus is that they are maybe 30 yards apart.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by boltonoutlaw View Post
    Whiskey
    Right. So, again, what else is there beside Bushmills and Jameson?

Here at home I buy Murphy's because it isn't Guinness. I like it. However, I've also had good nitrogen stouts that are from closer to home. Pre Moosehead, pre new factory, St Ambroise McAuslan was damn good.

Right. So, again, what else is there beside Bushmills and Jameson?
    Are ya new hear lad??!?
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...s+irish+whisky

I was talking to a friend of mine who is a farmer after he took a trip to Ireland and he said, "After three days of Guinness I was farting blue smoke like an old Ford tractor.".

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    I was talking to a friend of mine who is a farmer after he took a trip to Ireland and he said, "After three days of Guinness I was farting blue smoke like an old Ford tractor.".
    I don't doubt it.

My girlfriend is from Galway, I'll ask her what she'd recommend for your situation.

I was last there in 2021, and can recommend a couple quick stops that I really enjoyed on the drive drive east from Galway:
    Kilbeggan Distillery, and Clonmacnoise Monastery.

Kilbeggan Distillery is irelands oldest in operation... going since 1757, and is still powered by a water wheel. There's a fascinating mix of ancient machinery and modern technology and the tour guide was awesome. I paid extra to draw my own bottle of single malt from a cask in the distillers office. I highly recommend it if you're into whiskey and the history thereof. Maybe a hard sell for the rest of your family.

Clonmacnoise Monastery is about an hour east of Galway. You can freely wander through an ancient graveyard, well preserved ruins of numerous churches, extant stone towers and high crosses from the 10th century... postcard scenic right on the River Shannon. A surprisingly thought provoking experience even for a simpleton like me who expected to burst into flames upon entry.

Inishmore in the Aran islands is a good day trip from Galway. Hire an old man with a horse and buggy to tour you around the rugged, rocky windswept island. Or rent a bike (probably faster) Either way, it feels like going back in time, and the scenery and cliffs are surreal.

Also, drive some rural routes for the scenery and sheep. It's fucking terrifying till you get used to the narrow roads with no shoulder, and a rock wall where the line would be. All while driving on the wrong side.
    ::.:..::::.::.:.::..::.