Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Jax View Post
    ...usually pinion burning in the outdoor kivas,..
    Isn't that smell just the BEST?! I used to visit my aunts who lived in NM when I was growing up so it's very nostalgic to me. Burning piñon tells you EXACTLY where you are. Nothing beats when you're there in the dead of winter, the crisp, cold mountain air, and smelling that as you walk the streets late at night or sit in front of one of those kivas at a nice B&B. Pure bliss.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Here, you’ll fit in with the visitors. Typical Texan outfit.
    OK sick, so same outfit as I wear in the summer at home, although I run the shorts quite a bit shorter and the neckline lower

You know you're a tourist when you recommend tomasitaa instead of La Choza.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

As usual y'all killed it with the suggestions, especially Tech Tonics and Meadow Skipper. Thanks dudes.

Marias - definitely a must for margs. Over 200 on the menu apparently? Unfortunately I was unable to try all of them but the couple I did have were fucking awesome. This was our first stop and only issue was it made margs everywhere else seem substandard by comparison. Followed the advice to not eat there and based on the salsa that came with the chips they gave us I don't think we missed much.

La Choza was definitely the best New Mexican dinner we had. They're not taking reservations and it's a bit of a shit show so early or late is the play. Worth it though. Tomasita's as an alternate was good advice - not quite as good, but a lot easier to get a table and still delicious.

2nd Street Brewery - alien burger is baller and the beer acceptable

Dolina - holy shit, one of the best breakfasts I've had anywhere with exceptional service to boot. I owe Tech Tonics a beer for the heads up on this place.

Counter Culture - solid breakfast and coffee

Tia Sophia's - good breakfast, but I wouldn't wait over an hour to get a table like some people were. Also would advise arriving pre-caffeinated, coffee was pretty meh.

Kawaka Chocolate - awesome

Adding to the list for anyone that searches - La Lecheria in Railyard for ice cream. Super good.

Glorietta trails - absolutely top notch. I know they hired an excellent trail building company and man it shows. Need to go back and ride more there.
    We also rode Dale's Hot and Sweaty Balls and while it was fine as an in-town trail system next time I would just go ride Glorietta again or put the logistics together for Winsor.

Georgia O'Keefe museum - we enjoyed it

I had already forgotten how much driving and parking in a city (even a small one like Santa Fe) sucks ass.

We detoured up to Ojo Caliente on the way back and Fred is right, not recommended if you're into boiled sperm but I'm content with mildly toasted. Nice place. Wouldn't be worth what they charge on weekends but midweek it was worth the stop.

Meow Wolf?

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    As usual y'all killed it with the suggestions, especially Tech Tonics and Meadow Skipper. Thanks dudes.

Marias - definitely a must for margs. Over 200 on the menu apparently? Unfortunately I was unable to try all of them but the couple I did have were fucking awesome. This was our first stop and only issue was it made margs everywhere else seem substandard by comparison. Followed the advice to not eat there and based on the salsa that came with the chips they gave us I don't think we missed much.

La Choza was definitely the best New Mexican dinner we had. They're not taking reservations and it's a bit of a shit show so early or late is the play. Worth it though. Tomasita's as an alternate was good advice - not quite as good, but a lot easier to get a table and still delicious.

2nd Street Brewery - alien burger is baller and the beer acceptable

Dolina - holy shit, one of the best breakfasts I've had anywhere with exceptional service to boot. I owe Tech Tonics a beer for the heads up on this place.

Counter Culture - solid breakfast and coffee

Tia Sophia's - good breakfast, but I wouldn't wait over an hour to get a table like some people were. Also would advise arriving pre-caffeinated, coffee was pretty meh.

Kawaka Chocolate - awesome

Adding to the list for anyone that searches - La Lecheria in Railyard for ice cream. Super good.

Glorietta trails - absolutely top notch. I know they hired an excellent trail building company and man it shows. Need to go back and ride more there.
    We also rode Dale's Hot and Sweaty Balls and while it was fine as an in-town trail system next time I would just go ride Glorietta again or put the logistics together for Winsor.

Georgia O'Keefe museum - we enjoyed it

I had already forgotten how much driving and parking in a city (even a small one like Santa Fe) sucks ass.

We detoured up to Ojo Caliente on the way back and Fred is right, not recommended if you're into boiled sperm but I'm content with mildly toasted. Nice place. Wouldn't be worth what they charge on weekends but midweek it was worth the stop.
    Thanks for the TR!!! Glad to hear the good report. Neat place to visit, huh? And yeah, I definitely owe our locals a beer next time I'm there for all the solid advice.

What to do in Santa Fe when you're dead.

Fifu

Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post
    Do you want to blend in with the local shamans, art dealers, or cowboys?
    I think you need the triple combo to really knock the ball out of the park. Sedona has that going on too but it's much more simple hiker look with a Columbia fishing guide/hiking shirt, a brimmed hat, a walking stick and maybe a feather or two on the stick. There's gotta be a website where tourists figure out what to wear before they get to these places or maybe they just put it all together right when they get there? I don't know.

I had a vision for something I might wear my next time to Santa Fe that was basically what muted listed but with a heavy dose of Loyd and Harry dressing for Aspen in the motion picture Dumb And Dumber.

Whatever, I love Santa Fe and all of New Mexico. The weirdness of the state really attracts me.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

If it's winter the skiing is really good. The tree skiing is spectacular.

Attachment 460499
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Here, you’ll fit in with the visitors. Typical Texan outfit.
    Well Santa Fe used to be part of Texas, so seems appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post
    Well Santa Fe used to be part of Texas, so seems appropriate.
    Texas thinks that. Santa Fe never did. Not the only time, by a long shot, Texas has had its own (unshared) version of reality.

Edit: Texans didn’t do so well on securing Santa Fe, their ambitious map notwithstanding.
    https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/...-fe-expedition
    Last edited by Meadow Skipper; 06-01-2023 at 10:19 PM.

Texas? It's not even in the US!

Shameful treatment of a peaceful trade envoy.

Here, let me fix that for you.

Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post
    Shameful annexation of a peaceful territory with no interest in being subjugated.
    “Poor New Mexico! So far from heaven, so close to Texas.”
    - Manuel Armijo, governor of New Mexico, ca. 1841

Hahaha! That quote is gold!

Santa Anna signed the treaties of Velasco which established the Rio Grande as the boundary between Mexico and Texas, and of course Santa Fe is on the Texas side of that river.

Almost immediately, Mexico tried to reneg on that treaty, claiming it was signed under duress. Well, how many treaties to end wars aren’t signed under duress by the losing party?

But it is probably understandable that Mexico would refuse to honor their obligations under the treaty. After all, this is the same country that perpetrated the atrocities at the Alamo and Goliad.

But consider what might have happened if Mexico had honored the treaty. Perhaps the Mexican-American war would have been avoided. And Mexico would have avoided losing not only Santa Fe, but also all the rest of New Mexico, plus Arizona, California, Nevada, Utah, Colorado and more. About 55% of its land.
    Last edited by billyk; 06-03-2023 at 06:32 PM.

^ A lot of people would say that’s a particularly Tejano point of view. I’ll look into it the reneging thing.

But it would seem maybe Santa Fe didn’t give a shit what happened thousands of miles away in Texas and Mexico. Mexico and Texas didn’t give much of a shit about northern New Mexico in those days.

Santa Fe, and northern New Mexico was very, very remote from Mexico - the people with long family history there consider themselves Spanish, not Mexican. In the 400 year history of northern NM, it was ‘Mexico’ only for about 25+ years. It was ‘New Spain’ until Mexican independence. That’s the way locals look at it anyway.

And again, the northern New Mexicans never considered themselves part of Texas, no matter what Texans thought.

^ A lot of people would say that’s a particularly Tejano point of view.
    This - I've seen some recent historical reports that the reality at the Alamo may not have been anything like the tale we learned in school...

ETA: Here is the article I was thinking about: https://www.npr.org/2021/06/16/10069...bryan-burrough

I’d seen that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_Revolution

The revolution began in October 1835, after a decade of political and cultural clashes between the Mexican government and the increasingly large population of Anglo-American settlers in Texas. The Mexican government had become increasingly centralized and the rights of its citizens had become increasingly curtailed, particularly regarding immigration from the United States. Mexico had officially abolished slavery in Texas in 1829, and the desire of Anglo Texans to maintain the institution of chattel slavery in Texas was also a major cause of secession.[1][2][3][4][5] Colonists and Tejanos disagreed on whether the ultimate goal was independence or a return to the Mexican Constitution of 1824. While delegates at the Consultation (provisional government) debated the war's motives, Texians and a flood of volunteers from the United States defeated the small garrisons of Mexican soldiers by mid-December 1835. The Consultation declined to declare independence and installed an interim government, whose infighting led to political paralysis and a dearth of effective governance in Texas. An ill-conceived proposal to invade Matamoros siphoned much-needed volunteers and provisions from the fledgling Texian Army. In March 1836, a second political convention declared independence and appointed leadership for the new Republic of Texas.