Are there any elbow pads that don't suck?

So yeah, once every few years I have a good slam and tear a big hole in my elbows, and think to myself, "You wear knee pads every ride, maybe you should get some elbow pads at least for the healing process and really spicy rides." Then I go and look at all the options and I'm like, those all suck.

My main gripes with every elbow pad I've ever tried is that:
    * if they fit snug enough not to move, they give me arm pump
    * if they fit loose enough to not give me arm pump, they slide down
    * they're hot and sweaty
    * they're either so short that half my old scars stick out from the bottom, or they go from my armpit to my wrist

I'm not oddly proportioned (size medium for almost everything, 5'8", 165 lbs), so this shouldn't be that difficult. I mean, when I chatted with a 7iDP CS guy trying to figure out sizing, even he said "Yeah, I've never found an elbow pad that fits me well."

Is there a unicorn out there that I'm missing, or should I just suck it up like everyone else and pick sand out of a gaping hole in my elbow once every few years?

With either knee or elbow padz if you want padz that stay put especialy when ( not if ) you go down, they gotta have the lycra sleeve and they are gona be hotter than barebacking it for sure

Sizing is so all-over the map that you gotta shop in person for knee or elbow padz

I'm rocking a set of 661 2x4's so they have a lycra sleeve, also they run wrist to above elbow with a strap at either end so they don't move, I think the part above the elbow with strap and is what really holds them in place , unfortunatley I don't think 661 is around anymore but their design parameters worked IME
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Hrm, fair enough. I've been trying sleeve ones. My most recent try were TLD Stage, in M/L. I can barely get them on, needless to say I took them off by the time I got them to the top of the first climb. They're now knee pads for my kid. The M/L is already literally from my armpit to my wrist, so if I sized up for girth, they'd be too long.

These have worked really well for me. However, I do ride with a pack, so they go in the pack on the way up.

https://www.backcountry.com/b/pearl-...iABEgJuvvD_BwE

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    These have worked really well for me. However, I do ride with a pack, so they go in the pack on the way up.

https://www.backcountry.com/b/pearl-...iABEgJuvvD_BwE
    I have the same and fucking hate them haha

Hah! What are your gripes?

For me, they stay up, aren't very restrictive, and have saved me from elbow burger a couple of times now, can't ask for much more.

Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    Hrm, fair enough. I've been trying sleeve ones. My most recent try were TLD Stage, in M/L. I can barely get them on, needless to say I took them off by the time I got them to the top of the first climb. They're now knee pads for my kid. The M/L is already literally from my armpit to my wrist, so if I sized up for girth, they'd be too long.
    lol, all over the map eh ! So you gota try them on, I tend to stick with what I know works so I bought another set of race face sleeve type knee padz and I have another set of 661 2x4's
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

For me, they squeeze my arms so tight I get arm pump, but still somehow also slide down my forearms until they’re at my wrists. I love the same model knee pads though, no gripes there.

No. They all suck.

Tuck, roll, and deal with some scrapes. If it's much more than a scrape, shitty little sleeve elbow pads weren't going to help much anyways.

I'm going to try a pair of the new Fox Launch Elite sleeves. Apparently I'm a fucking dwarf (short with thick arms & legs) because I'm size XL according to their chart. 12" forearm (from my climbing days) but only 13" bicep. They must have used skinny XC racers as models for their size chart lol...

Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    I'm going to try a pair of the new Fox Launch Elite sleeves. Apparently I'm a fucking dwarf (short with thick arms & legs) because I'm size XL according to their chart. 12" forearm (from my climbing days) but only 13" bicep. They must have used skinny XC racers as models for their size chart lol...
    Never tried their elbow pads, but with a few other pieces of gear I've tried from fox, their sizing charts are wildly off base. Like, multiple sizes off from what actually fits me. And I'm an utterly average size person who doesn't usually struggle to find things that fit.

Specifically, Fox helmets and shoes. Like, waaaay off from normal sizing.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Never tried their elbow pads, but with a few other pieces of gear I've tried from fox, their sizing charts are wildly off base. Like, multiple sizes off from what actually fits me. And I'm an utterly average size person who doesn't usually struggle to find things that fit.

Specifically, Fox helmets and shoes. Like, waaaay off from normal sizing.
    Yeah, worst case I'll return them. I wear a size XL helmet from both Fox and TLD too, so maybe I really am a dwarf.

I recently wore out a pair of 7iDP elbow pads. Got several bike seasons out of them including dozens of snowboarding days. Upper band goes above the biceps, so basically armpit. Zero arm pump and they never slid down. Not noticeable while getting sweaty. I do wish they had a little more forearm pad coverage, but for protecting the pointy part of the elbow they worked well. Foam pad eventually cracked and split. Some holes in the sleeve too.

Had a pair of POC VPD elbows previous. Worst arm pump, would not recommend.

Considering newer POC Oseus elbows. Beefier than 7idp. Length looks similar with more forearm padding.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaStoke View Post
    For me, they squeeze my arms so tight I get arm pump, but still somehow also slide down my forearms until they’re at my wrists. I love the same model knee pads though, no gripes there.
    Do you have the *exact* one I linked to with the patch of slick material over the fabric? PI makes two versions of that pad with the same name, but they are not the same. The other one just has fabric over the foam and the sleeve construction is different. I had slippage issues with the fabric-only version but the one with the slick patch stays up great.

So a little bit of feedback on the Fox Launch Elites. I did get the elbows and knees in XL based on their size chart, even though I normally wear a medium in everything (5'8", 165 lbs +/- 3 depending on how much beer/pizza I've been consuming). For the knees, the upper band is really wide with lots of grippers and as snug as a normal medium, the sock is maybe a smidge looser than a normal medium, especially at the back of the knee. I wore them for a 4 hour, 9000 ft ebike epic and never had to adjust them or had any issues with chafing. For the elbows, a similar story: upper band was snug, lower sleeve a bit looser, especially the lower cuff. First ride unwashed I was a bit concerned that the sleeve was a bit too loose but it didn't move, and I didn't notice any arm pump. I washed them before my second ride, and the sleeve tightened up a bit to roughly that of a compression shirt, but again no arm pump. The lower cuff remains a little loose but feels like if I had an OTB, it would help stop the pad from sliding up too far.

Anyways, I'm pleasantly surprised at this find. Not cheap, but it's nice to have an option for an elbow pad that I won't hate if I'm riding something that warrants wearing them.

Leatt Airflex, or Fox Launch Pro D30 are the 2 best I've found.

Goddammit, got lazy yesterday, didn't put mine on and of course went down and tore up my left forearm. Nothing too bad, but super annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by BigHerm View Post

Had a pair of POC VPD elbows previous. Worst arm pump, would not recommend.

Considering newer POC Oseus elbows. Beefier than 7idp. Length looks similar with more forearm padding.
    I have some Oseus, and I don’t mind wearing them. For me, they’re basically a forearm sleeve. Upper band sits below the bicep and the lower band is just above the wrist. I previously had VPD and never wore them because they were uncomfortable.
    focus.

Dainese makes a really nice elbow forearm.

I have a med pair for sale, 20 plus shipping

I use the same one in large

Sent from my moto g 5G using Tapatalk

I could prob pick those mediums up from you in Tahoe next week?

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    I could prob pick those mediums up from you in Tahoe next week?
    Ok

Sent from my moto g 5G using Tapatalk

I’ll send a pm

One ride so far on POC Oseus elbows. Crazy tight first time trying them on, medium with 13" Biceps, 11" forearm. Large 7idp fit well, but those tickle your pit hairs. Wore them on the long drive to the trailhead, no problems.

ROM was good, no arm pump. Pretty much forgot about them on the ride. Washed the front in some pine needles and got to test them out. I am satisfied. More forearm coverage than 7idp, burlier material, equally comfortable.

I wear the POC VPD (no sleeve versions) in the bike park. Never wear outside of lift service. If it's sweaty out, they stay up better. If it's dry they end up as forearm pads. It's not ideal, but I'm not convinced anything else would be better.
    However many are in a shit ton.

I switched to sweet protection pads a couple of years ago and have had no complaints

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk