Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ISSW 2023?

ISSW 2023?

Who's going to ISSW 2023?
    "True love is much easier to find with a helicopter"

Submitted an abstract, so probably yeah.

It’s really an excuse to drink beer with friends and check out smith rock though

possibly
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

I plan to go but haven't actually made any arrangements yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason4 View Post
    I plan to go but haven't actually made any arrangements yet.
    June 15th the price goes up. Better do it soon.

10 of them was enough. Have fun, drink beer, network and make contacts and friends.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Ya sure you know I will be there.

Anyone want to do a report "from the maggot perspective?"

Yes, need to remember early registration this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    10 of them was enough. Have fun, drink beer, network and make contacts and friends.
    Oh come on Randy!! You'll be missed...

I'm in

I registered, I guess I’m committed. It’s my first time, anything I should know ahead of time?

All the eggheads and rockstars making presentations are really good people. Approach them and talk to them.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by Jason4 View Post
    I registered, I guess I’m committed. It’s my first time, anything I should know ahead of time?
    Jason can I give you some homework for The Avalanche Review?

A Newbies view of ISSW: what stood out?

Sent from my SM-A536U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by homemadesalsa View Post
    Jason can I give you some homework for The Avalanche Review?

A Newbies view of ISSW: what stood out?

Sent from my SM-A536U using Tapatalk
    I'll start taking notes.
    Last edited by Jason4; 06-19-2023 at 09:41 AM.

All the eggheads and rockstars making presentations are really good people. Approach them and talk to them.
    I'm not shy about meeting people and asking questions, that part is easy. I'm more curious about some of the add-on events and whether they are worthwhile. I signed up for the Diva Night event and afterparty, I skipped buying a box lunch because it seems like I can bring my own food and get more for $35/day. What do people typically do on the day off in the middle?

I'm probably going to work remotely and ride bikes on Wed. I think the mid week off day is because sometimes these are in spectacular places. When it was in Breck there were tours of some RAC sites on Loveland Pass offered.

$35 for lunch is redonkulous for a sandwich chips and a drink. Is the sandwhich seared sushi grade Ahi or is it a Waygu steak sandwhich? Is there bottled water from Lake Vostok in Antartica?

I can, and will, get grocery store sushi, fancy potato chips, and a demi bottle of wine for less than $35.

I assumed Diva night was for the ladies not the dudes, didn't sign up.

Is that $100 dinner gonna be worth it or do I get a burger and fries for that, a la lunch?

When the company was paying the freight I was all about the box lunches and the banquet. Some of the presentation for the banquet were really good. If it was my dime, I would be filling the cooler and saving the $$$.

I always thought the Diva things was kind of silly myself. HMS, you a Diva?

When the company was paying the freight I was all about the box lunches and the banquet. Some of the presentation for the banquet were really good. If it was my dime, I would be filling the cooler and saving the $$$.

I always thought the Diva things was kind of silly myself. HMS, you a Diva?
    Yes, I got inducted as a Diva at the Whistler ISSW in 2008. The Divas program is pretty incredible, actually. There are not that many women in our field, and so it's nice to get us together and celebrate some of our stars. Many of the admirers of the current inductee class of Divas are their male co-workers, who want to honor their buddies as well, so we opened it up to guys after the initial few hours a number of years ago. Turns into a good party (as if we need an excuse at ISSW).

October 14 there is annular solar eclipse with good partial viewing in Bend starting at 8 and peaking at around 920. But if you drive 1 hour south on US97 you'll be under the "annular totality"

https://eclipse2024.org/graphics/ani...tml?map=Oregon

I hadn't been thinking about it, but now that I think about it, I think I am tempted to attend ... especially since this reminds me how much I miss our previously in-person ESAW.
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

Jonathan I never did any of the remote ESAW. Any chance going back to in person this year?

Quote Originally Posted by cat in january View Post
    Jonathan I never did any of the remote ESAW. Any chance going back to in person this year?
    I probably spent over an hour talking with the MWAC director on a couple occasions this spring in person, but I totally spaced out on asking him about ESAW...
    The on-line ESAW still provides valuable education. Yet it's definitely not a complete substitute for in-person ESAW.

My understanding from A3 discussions (although this might have changed) is that Utah decided to stick with an on-line format for the public general interest sessions because of the relatively easy logistics.
    I sure hope that isn't what happens with ESAW!

Perhaps with more time now since the merger of our two somewhat competing Friends groups (long after another rival Friends group exited the scene entirely), the MWAC will have more volunteer support to revive the in-person ESAW.

I sure hope so. The online events don’t generate much excitement for me.

Went looking to see if esaw was planned for this year and nothing looks in the works.

^ Listed as December 2:
    https://www.americanavalancheassociation.org/events

I wonder who will organize it. Last fall, after many years of rival Friends groups, up to three total, an consolidated entity of the Mount Washington Avalanche Center Foundation finally emerged.
    However, this resulted merely in a placeholder website, which is no longer even linked to by the MWAC website. The Foundation supposedly receives the net proceeds from the Inferno race, yet no longer organizes it. I suspect that the MWAC is on its own for organizing ESAW, with no assistance from the Foundation given its apparent capabilities. (If anyone knows otherwise, I'd certainly be interested in the details.)