New ski area, Valdez Ak.

It doesn't look like there would be any tree skiing for storm days but it sure would be cool when it's clear.

http://www.rydor.com/home.html
    dirtbag, not a dentist

I hope this happens. Any backup options would make valdez a way more attractive trip option. I started researching AK this season and am pretty turned off by the gambling aspect- go to girdwood so i can ride at least something no matter the weather but risk g betting stuck in a bird with beaters, or go to valdez/haines and have the most expensive motel trip of my life if the weather sucks?

looks like last update was 2014/2015

Quote Originally Posted by NBABUCKS1 View Post
    looks like last update was 2014/2015
    More recent- https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/2023...resort-effort/
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by crankplank View Post
    I hope this happens. Any backup options would make valdez a way more attractive trip option. I started researching AK this season and am pretty turned off by the gambling aspect- go to girdwood so i can ride at least something no matter the weather but risk g betting stuck in a bird with beaters, or go to valdez/haines and have the most expensive motel trip of my life if the weather sucks?
    I vaguely remember skiing that ski area terrain once and in flat light you won't see shit, like anywhere up there. And it's all quite boring terrain, it looks cooler on a map. If it's blue out you will be heli skiing anyways.

But for a small community who wants to ski - very cool.

They should just pop a lift in the Thompson pass.

In 2016 the value of the trans-alaska pipeline was set at 8 billion dollars. From 2016 to 2020 valdez received 38 million a year in property taxes. I have no idea why there is not a local ski hill. These guys are not going to get it done selling real estate in Valdez. The state of Alaska has a lending agency, AIDEA. They are looking to support any project involving resource extraction. This project is a great use of a natural resource. These guys should put together a solid business plan and be pitching them. If you want to go heli skiing with chair backup Cordova has you covered.
    off your knees Louie

New ski area, Valdez Ak.

Quote Originally Posted by sirbumpsalot View Post
    They should just pop a lift in the Thompson pass.
    This was my thought when I saw the news feed. But muted’s comment above about flat light still applies… On a str8line trip years ago, we were chasing sucker holes when the clouds rolled in shortly after the heli dropped us off. We had to wait out the clouds cause we couldn’t determine which way was up. When we finally had a break, we had to do a road run since the heli returned to base.

My other thought about a resort in Valdez is ease (or lack thereof) of access. It’s either a 5 hr drive or puddle jumper flight from Anchorage. It is easy to get stranded in Valdez if a weather system rolls in and they cancel flights for several days in a row (it happened to me). Not fun being stuck there and not being able to ski either.
    Because rich has nothing to do with money.

Gets a little windy in the pass. Not to many all time days in Dec. Jan. Feb in that zone. Also for summer tourism needs to be in town.
    off your knees Louie

I backcountry skied on Thompson Pass 15 years ago in flat light, very interesting experience.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Just as soon as the heli took off, we got whited out on a peak off Thompson pass. Getting down off that and low enough to see anything was definitely not type A fun

Wouldn't a tram make more sense?
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    I think it has tow or three midway terminals so probably not.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    I think it has tow or three midway terminals so probably not.
    A gondola on the other hand, could work great there

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I backcountry skied on Thompson Pass 15 years ago in flat light, very interesting experience.
    I have lifetime shoulder injury from doing the same. Could not see a hole I dropped 10-15 feet into. Could not see the landing until my face was in the landing. Then I saw it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brownski View Post
    A gondola on the other hand, could work great there
    On their web page and every other article about them I've read it's said to be a chondola. I think a gondola might make more sense since I bet there's a lot of very wet days in the lower elevations. I think an enclosed maze at the base might be a good idea too.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

I think this is a good thing.

I posted extensive comments on the project on my FB post today. Too long to post here. Submitted to AK DNR last week. Sorry for minor format issues but it's a pdf copy and paste.

https://www.facebook.com/matt.kinney.16100

fuck yer facebooks…