New Avy tech - drones monitoring slide paths

Drone can fly avalanche paths automatically and autonomously, collecting photos. Photogrammetry can then measure snow depths. This article describes monitoring of a Juneau highway.
    https://www.ktoo.org/2023/05/05/dron...gement-juneau/

Perhaps coming soon near you. Maybe drone dropped explosives are next.
    10/01/2012 Site was upgraded to 300 baud.

Maybe drone dropped explosives are next.
    Doubtful.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

I was riding the chair with the woods manager at Canfor, he tells me the RPF's are licensed drone pilots and they use them to do forestry

what happened to the time honored life of an RPF walking forever up hill (both ways) and getting chased by a grizzle bar ?
    Last edited by XXX-er; 05-09-2023 at 12:34 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Problem in the Canadian rockies is getting parks canada permission to fly the drones. They have a very strict rule of no drones in any national parks.

That said, my company is currently deploying drones for forestry reseeding, fire watch and various other stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    Doubtful.
    Bunion!! You must have missed the article in the Avalanche Review (40.1 page 54) by David Sly of the Maple Leaf Powder Company; about their Sentinel 6000 drone. It can carry and deliver 6kg explosives to starting zones. Check your old TAR's.
    "True love is much easier to find with a helicopter"

There's also an Italian system - SNIPER, as well as Mountain Drones out of CO. The licensing to do this could be fairly onerous. I'm also unsure of the utility as the prime a/c weather is often not compatible with flying drones

Quote Originally Posted by Hacksaw View Post
    Bunion!! You must have missed the article in the Avalanche Review (40.1 page 54) by David Sly of the Maple Leaf Powder Company; about their Sentinel 6000 drone. It can carry and deliver 6kg explosives to starting zones. Check your old TAR's.
    Just cause Maple Leaf builds one doesn't mean its a good idea.
    The licensing to do this could be fairly onerous. I'm also unsure of the utility as the prime a/c weather is often not compatible with flying drones
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by snoboy View Post
    There's also an Italian system - SNIPER, as well as Mountain Drones out of CO. The licensing to do this could be fairly onerous. I'm also unsure of the utility as the prime a/c weather is often not compatible with flying drones
    I doubt it'd replace in situ systems like gasex or oblex for mid-winter storm events. Could have a place for highway operations reliant on heli bombing in clear weather windows. Limitation is range and capacity -- pain to run a route where you need a stack of 20# shots. Technology certainly exists in the military world....

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Technology certainly exists in the military world....
    Yeah, like a 105 howitzer (he says sarcastically......).
    "True love is much easier to find with a helicopter"

drones always annoy me when they are flying in the air while I'm recreating in the mountains. But getting caught in an avalanche is never a good time.