Views:	65 
Size:	274.9 KB 
ID:	461267

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chehalis river fire 6-8-23.JPG 
Views:	57 
Size:	302.4 KB 
ID:	461268

https://jasminedevv.github.io/AQI2cigarettes/ For you guys in the North East. You can now see how many cigarettes you've smoked by being outside.

East is the new West, I guess. Have fun. It sucks and we know it.

Surprised to see the ballgame occurring. Curious what the team docs were saying and debating. NYC is in the midst of another covid surge. There’s strong science about the cumulative health hazard of smoke and covid. Y’all, take care!

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Is it too much to hope that this wakes more and more people up about the need for serious climate change action?
    The smoke in the Bay Area from the burning of Paradise resulted in the Bay Area Council to take action. More groups with their influence pushing on national and international level policy makers to make long term changes could start to move the needle in a big way.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Surprised to see the ballgame occurring. Curious what the team docs were saying and debating. NYC is in the midst of another covid surge. There’s strong science about the cumulative health hazard of smoke and covid. Y’all, take care!

The smoke in the Bay Area from the burning of Paradise resulted in the Bay Area Council to take action. More groups with their influence pushing on national and international level policy makers to make long term changes could start to move the needle in a big way.
    It seems that people en masse have to experience things like this before they really take it seriously. One can hope but I’m very pessimistic.

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    It seems that people en masse have to experience things like this before they really take it seriously. One can hope but I’m very pessimistic.
    IME it only lasts for about two years after the last event. That’s a narrow window for getting things fixed. After that people think things are back to normal, or they’re focused on some new issue.

This smoke is annoying. I think it's time to move west so I can get away from it.

It took several consecutive smoky summers for Bay Area Council to start to take “real” action.

California and the R5 USFS have created a task force with a 1M of new tx per year (plus maintenance tx’s). They’re acknowledging that they’re loosing momentum….

Went out to collect the garbage can this morning and it smelled like a campground outside. We were hit with a fire ban at Killbear over the weekend and of course the skitters were nasty. Thermacell repeller worked quite well. Looking forward to rain next week. Tired of watering the garden.

Made the mistake of turning on CNN. Holy shit, this smoke is all they are talking about. Got like 10 reporters stationed throughout the area reporting how far they can see and just rambling the same nonsense over and over.

Slow news I guess.

Nothing will change as long as the narrative is that’s it’s from a foreign country. Would be even better if it were from Mexico or Venezuela or China.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    NYC is mostly around 400 now with high 400s and even a 508 on the beach on Long Island.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnF View Post
    AQI peaked at 460 in CNY yesterday.
    Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    It's better this morning, local numbers are around 160-170 but the damage is done.
    Quote Originally Posted by From_the_NEK View Post
    DC area in the 400's this morning. Baltimore and Philly 300's.

Attachment 461263

You right coasters act all tough until it's your turn. It has been one day of numbers lower than CA. It's not even snowing ash out there.
    Wait, how can we trust this guy^^^ He's clearly not DJSapp

Wife just had a client cancel a big NYC gig due to the smoke. For which we got a bit of a chuckle out of that they would cancel indoor meetings having lived where we did. Not like WE ever got to cancel work due to wildfire smoke.

Montanans, Californians, (and Albertans) be like:

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    Nothing will change as long as the narrative is that’s it’s from a foreign country. Would be even better if it were from Mexico or Venezuela or China.
    Chinese spy balloons be fulla super concentrated smoke/Beijing air.

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    Has Canada apologized yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I'm reading that the policy for big remote Canada fires is to let them burn like they do in AK. So east coasters should expect a chance smoke for months until winter puts them out. Sure, as that article says winds are fickle, and the weather may take a drastic change and tamp down the smoke, but damn things could get bleak out there.

Basically just another summer out West these days.

Well if they don't want to do anything about it, I don't want to hear Canadians bitching about air pollution and starving polar bears.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post
    I'm reading that the policy for big remote Canada fires is to let them burn like they do in AK. So east coasters should expect a chance smoke for months until winter puts them out. Sure, as that article says winds are fickle, and the weather may take a drastic change and tamp down the smoke, but damn things could get bleak out there.

Basically just another summer out West these days.
    Wind coming straight out of the north is kind of unusual here. Normal wind out of NW would send it more to New England

Quote Originally Posted by half-fast View Post
    Wind coming straight out of the north is kind of unusual here. Normal wind out of NW would send it more to New England
    Same shit as is giving us rain day after day after day.

Bangoralifax?

Quote Originally Posted by heckacali View Post
    Bangoralifax?
    Sounds about right.

maybe if that east-west highway gets built the cities can slowly merge

Quote Originally Posted by petey_ View Post
    Went out to collect the garbage can this morning and it smelled like a campground outside. We were hit with a fire ban at Killbear over the weekend and of course the skitters were nasty. Thermacell repeller worked quite well. Looking forward to rain next week. Tired of watering the garden.
    Jealous, love me some Killbear.

Keep hearing good things about the Thermocell - you're saying it's not just hype?

Vibes east coasters. Smoke is awful. One side effect too is that you may never appreciate the smell of a campfire again too. I used to love the smell until I went through months of smelling and avoiding smoke. Now I have a visceral negative feeling towards smoke.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by heckacali View Post
    Bangoralifax?
    Bangher? I hardly knew her

More about “get used to it.”
    ‘The fire equivalent of an ice age’: Humanity enters a new era of fire

I’ll be interested to see if ‘Pyrocene’ catches on as a name for this era.