Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    If you like to skin up in bounds for the exercise and to kill time, i would suggest a tyrolia adrenalin 13. You will get more exercise and have a much safer binding to learn to ski on.
    Or the beloved Shift which, honestly, would work great here.

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    Tech toe non releasable. You're wearing a lever on your foot. Twisting fall is no bueno w/ no release @ the toe.
    I tele'd for yrs and always knew it was a roll of the dice
    But doesn't the heel release on twisting falls? When the heel is free the toe props out. I'm genuinely curious I'm not being an argumentative prick.

The tecton functions like an alpine binding. Toe release with lots of electricity and heel release with lots of elasticity. It's got full DIN certification. A shift, fks or sth shouldn't have any substantial advantage. Here I am being argumentative.

Edit. Now that I think about it, the tecton might have a unique risk where the skier popped out of the heel and somehow twisted before the boot reached the toe release nub. That would have to be a hell of a tomahawk scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by Cocximus View Post
    But doesn't the heel release on twisting falls? When the heel is free the toe props out. I'm genuinely curious I'm not being an argumentative prick.

The tecton functions like an alpine binding. Toe release with lots of electricity and heel release with lots of elasticity. It's got full DIN certification. A shift, fks or sth shouldn't have any substantial advantage. Here I am being argumentative.

Edit. Now that I think about it, the tecton might have a unique risk where the skier popped out of the heel and somehow twisted before the boot reached the toe release nub. That would have to be a hell of a tomahawk scenario.
    Heel and toe release are two different functions.
    Tecton looks like a cool binding, but there is no way the toe release functions the same as an alpine binding.
    http://https://skimo.co/tech-binding-release-testing
    I'd prefer the shift for OP's usage. Haven't had any issues on mine yet(knocking on wood)

Perhaps this states it better than I

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    I’ve done an informal survey of all the tub/fib and tibial plateau injuries I take care of at the U. Every single one has been skiing pins and touring boots. Usually because the guy at REI told them it would be a quiver of one.

Shifts would be ideal for the OP.

I get a little nauseous every time I see someone skiing a tech binding inbounds. So sketchy. The industry sucks ass at steering people to the right tool for the job.
    Heal up fast OP! Being broken sucks!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by half-fast View Post
    Just get some skis with alpine bindings you can switch to when the lifts start spinning. Stay out of the bumps til then
    I’m leaning towards this right now

We all know someone who insists on skiing pin bindings inbounds as their quiver of one. IMHO it's just a matter of time before they blow up something, whether it's bindings or boots, or something in their knee or leg.

Heal up OP. And while you're recovering, buy some alpine boots, bindings, and skis. You could be all-in for $500-700, especially during summer.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    If OP just gets some skis with alpine bindings

will his AT boots with the Tech fittings work in those bindings ??
    I have Salomon shift pro boots so they should work with all alpine bindings as far as I know

Quote Originally Posted by mf12d0 View Post
    I’m leaning towards this right now
    Don't lean. Do this.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    We all know someone who insists on skiing pin bindings inbounds as their quiver of one. IMHO it's just a matter of time before they blow up something, whether it's bindings or boots, or something in their knee or leg.

Heal up OP. And while you're recovering, buy some alpine boots, bindings, and skis. You could be all-in for $500-700, especially during summer.
    if my boots are in fact compatible with alpine bindings any reason to get dedicated alpine boots?

No, where you are progressing keep it simple with the boots.

Quote Originally Posted by mf12d0 View Post
    if my boots are in fact compatible with alpine bindings any reason to get dedicated alpine boots?
    As long as any binding you use is Gripwalk compatible (based on your response above about the Salomon Shift boot), you can certainly use that boot in the GW binding. DIN only bindings are not compatible with GW boots, officially.

A dedicated alpine boot, not a crossover type boot, may hold up better over time. Inbounds usage puts a lot of wear on lightweight boots designed for backcountry use (where light weight was a priority in design). Personally, I think any boot with a walk mode makes for a sloppy inbounds boot, as the pivot will wear out.
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by cat in january View Post
    No, where you are progressing keep it simple with the boots.
    Agreed. For now.

As long as any binding you use is Gripwalk compatible (based on your response above about the Salomon Shift boot), you can certainly use that boot in the GW binding. DIN only bindings are not compatible with GW boots, officially.

A dedicated alpine boot, not a crossover type boot, may hold up better over time. Inbounds usage puts a lot of wear on lightweight boots designed for backcountry use (where light weight was a priority in design). Personally, I think any boot with a walk mode makes for a sloppy inbounds boot, as the pivot will wear out.
    Not only this, but you'll ski a lot better with a real alpine boot.

Sent from my moto g 5G using Tapatalk

All of these people know better than me about the bindings, because my bindings are permanently broken. And they may very well be right about your poor binding choice. Still, injuries happen, people do the tib/fib all the freaking time, in all sorts of binding choices, so it might have just been a freak thing. As for your DIN setting, nothing about a higher setting makes you cooler or a better skier. Go with the lowest setting that doesn't lead to pre-releases. So if you decide to claim "type I" for the DIN setting and find yourself releasing when you ski bumps (ie you didn't fall but the binding released) then go to "type II". But if you choose type I and only release after a big fall, then you're all set.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    All of these people know better than me about the bindings, because my bindings are permanently broken. And they may very well be right about your poor binding choice. Still, injuries happen, people do the tib/fib all the freaking time, in all sorts of binding choices, so it might have just been a freak thing.
    I think we all should strongly point out how dangerous pin bindings are in bounds and not say "coulda been bad luck!" in hopes of helping others know pin bindings can be a bad idea. Because obviously not enough people know this.

I don't know one person who broke their tib-fib randomly in moguls and I come from many many years of skiing moguls and used to go to comps and ski with top ranked mogul skiers daily. It could and has happened of course, but it doesn't help pointing that out IMO. All tib-fib breakage I know is hitting buried logs or from tomahawks thru rocks.

As per the link I posted they pointed out tib/fib injuries reported(from whatever yrs they compiled stats)accounted for 1.3% of alpine binding ski related injuries.
    The 1 person I know that broke at least the tibia(not sure if he fib'd too), broke it clipping a rock as mr pointed out

Seems like the trend is to put walk mode on boots that were previously standard resort alpine boots. Dalbello did this with the Krypton 120, which I skied for years as a resort boot. Newest version (which I also own) has walk mode, gripwalk sole, tongue liner, AND tech inserts. Yet it is the same boot otherwise, same forward lean (crucial to me), weighs the same as the old one too. In any case I still like the boot and it doesn't feel sloppy to me. Just had to swap out the liner.

But I also noticed when buying obvious resort boots for my kids that they were coming with gripwalk soles and walk mode. Same with the Panterra. But no tech inserts.

Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post
    I think we all should strongly point out how dangerous pin bindings are in bounds and not say "coulda been bad luck!" in hopes of helping others know pin bindings can be a bad idea. Because obviously not enough people know this.

I don't know one person who broke their tib-fib randomly in moguls and I come from many many years of skiing moguls and used to go to comps and ski with top ranked mogul skiers daily. It could and has happened of course, but it doesn't help pointing that out IMO. All tib-fib breakage I know is hitting buried logs or from tomahawks thru rocks.
    I never said that he shouldn't listen to y'all. But since you insist that I am wrong for even saying it sometimes just happens... I broke my tib fib and not while hitting a buried log or tomahawking through rocks. I broke it coming to a stop, on a flattish area, but had a slow twisting fall in just the wrong way. And "slow twisting fall" was repeated to me by a number of medical professionals as a common description of tib-fib incidents (and not for pin binding people, because this was 20 years ago, when there were very few of those on the mountain). It does happen randomly. Again, I never said y'all are wrong, it was an off-hand comment that even recognized that the other people posting had way more knowledge about alpine bindings than me, so my apologies that even after including that disclaimer, that saying that it could have been a freak thing seems so wrong to you. But I broke mine from a freak thing that would be very hard to predict or blame on equipment, so I am speaking from my own experience. And beginners also break their legs skiing, how do you explain that? They're not hitting buried logs or tomahawking through rocks. But again, to make clear: I assume that the advice to ditch the pin bindings is sound. The main point of my post was to point out the issue of DIN settings.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

^^^were you on tele bindings when you tib/fib'd?

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    ^^^were you on tele bindings when you tib/fib'd?
    I was. But the "slow twisting fall" is a common thing, certainly not limited to tele. In fact, the tele part made it much more of a freak accident, not less.

I did in a tib/fib with a twisting fall with some speed i had fallen like that many times on alpine gear and just released but not so with Tele I was suprised really

I got rid of those Targas with race springs for the 7TM, most people didn't like how 7TM skied but I thot they were ok (only165) they did release and i still have them but I pretty much gave up tele
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

That's a lotta words there Danno without adding much to the conversation.

Skiing pin bindings inbounds is a bad idea for about a hundred reasons, safety in a fall being just one of those reasons.