PSA Salomon MTN summit binding

Looks like the new MTN summit bindings have started landing if anyone is curious and wants to be an early adopter:

https://alpineoptions.com/sa2435100/...RoC5DMQAvD_BwE

Looks like it has some great improvements over the MTN Pure. If anyone gets some time on em, we'd love to hear your thoughts!

salomon naming everything from skis, boots, and bindings the same MTN summit is dumb

I pro actively replaced my mtns from 5 yrs ago with a new set at the end of April.

Went to an icefield in May and both toe pieces failed at the spring insert interface.

This happened over two seperate events ( stepping out) across 5 days. I did have spare skis. Lucky me.

Seems like they have a weak alloy this year (22/23) and a production / tempering process error.

Could have been catastrophic as I was amongst no fall zone terrain.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Gravity always wins...

Holy cow that's scary!

Slightly tangential to your failure but the Dynafit Speed Radical steel toes are (not the lightest but) the most reliable tech toe ever IMO. I've switched to using them on all my fat skis after cracking light aluminum based toes. Worth the ~60g penalty over a light weight toe.

I saw this exact same failure on a MTN I mounted this season for a friend. Same silver color with Salomon branding, probably same production run.

It failed for him while transitioning before booting for a big descent. We were really happy it failed then rather than during some no-fall zone skiing.

Salomon warrantied the binding no question and had him send it back for inspection. If this is a trend with a production run I would not be surprised to see a recall soon.

This all should probably be posted in the full MTN thread, here : https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...binding/page13

Damn. I just mounted a pair of atomic bindings a month ago. Now I’m terrified to ski them. Salomon has a terrible track record of recalls. As In they don’t recall what is obviously a defective binding.

I had pins shear off on two of my Salomon MTN pure bindings. Both times it happened while transitioning and I was able to find the pin that sheared off. I got a refund after it happened the second time.

Mine are 3 years old and I've jumped off some XL features and skied them a lot w/o issues

Quote Originally Posted by dangerdad View Post
    Mine are 3 years old and I've jumped off some XL features and skied them a lot w/o issues
    I've got two pairs I've done some stupid stuff to for the last 5+ seasons, no issues either. But this looks to me like an isolated issue to a new manufacturing run. Hopefully Salomon jumps on a recall before someone has a catastrophic issue.

Quote Originally Posted by skis_the_trees View Post
    Holy cow that's scary!

Slightly tangential to your failure but the Dynafit Speed Radical steel toes are (not the lightest but) the most reliable tech toe ever IMO. I've switched to using them on all my fat skis after cracking light aluminum based toes. Worth the ~60g penalty over a light weight toe.
    Well I have a spare set lying around. Maybe I'll dabble.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk