Check Out Our Shop
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Garden 2023

Quote Originally Posted by PowderAlltheTime View Post
    if you don't want to spend the money on the rebar/cages stuff; checkout the Florida Weave method. It cheap and effective. Fall cleanup is easier, if you sisal twine. I use T-posts fence posts. Attachment 471575
    Whoa - that is a SHITLOAD of tomatoes. I usually only have 8-10 plants. I'm thinking I'm going to try something like this next season if I can get my lazy ass off the couch before planting:

Final pull of the cukes, zuccs, peppers, tomatoes and beans. A few raspberries are still providing a treat. Expecting the temps to go below freezing by tomorrow night, so it was time. About 2wks extra on the back end this year, which was perfect for the peppers.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1697922881.500265.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	218.9 KB 
ID:	473624

Carrots will take a bit of frost and get nice and sweet. Maybe another couple weeks then they’ll get processed.

Name:	Image1697923053.786280.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	245.8 KB 
ID:	473625

All in all, not a bad year.

35" of rain since 9/1 hasn't helped my late season stuff at all. I'm still getting a cup of raspberries a day but nothing else, the cauliflower and broccoli didn't grow, lettuce tried but rotted and garlic was a total loss. I really hope for onions and garlic that it dries out before the ground freezes.

Ouch, vibes. We are still on moderate drought codes here, but lucky as we are high up on the big river watersheds, so no big restrictions in our community (served by 3 wells, and 2 smaller creek watersheds). Folks lower on the rivers had a tough summer this year. Govt restricted a few rural areas towards the Okanagan this past summer (not far from the bad fires). Those property/farm owners were near taking up arms and defying the orders.

Hope your alums make it through.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Whoa - that is a SHITLOAD of tomatoes. I usually only have 8-10 plants. I'm thinking I'm going to try something like this next season if I can get my lazy ass off the couch before planting:

Been saying it for years - tomatos are a vine. I only use tomato cages on my peppers.

I did something similar to this but instead of one cross beam in the bottom middle I used two at the bottom edges of the A. Tomatoes along one side, cuces along the back. Looks kinda hideous with the wrong light angle but I used chicken wire instead of string.

BCMH I'm in the Toronto area and it's wild how close our season's are starting to end - tonight is our first frost as well.

Harvested about 20 lbs of onions, the last of the peppers and ~10 lbs of green tomatos. Forgot to get the beans.

gravitylover - jealous of your raspberries. Our patch is usually really abundant but this summer they stopped producing super early. Need to look into that more when I get a chance, I suspect some sort of disease is involved.

Super beet season!

Name:	IMG_0094.JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	209.5 KB 
ID:	473792

Look at Aldo pulling out the sweet garden pic. Nice hearty root veggies.

@Thaleia - I think the trick was cutting everything to the ground over the winter so it was all fresh growth made the difference. It started late though because it had to grow back in rather than just leaf out, I think first berries were in July rather than early June.

With our little everbearing raspberry patch, I’ve done pruning for late season - like you describe gravitylover - and a fall/winter selective prune and again during spring/earlysummer as the fruit moves down the 2nd year canes. The selective cutting gives us early and late season crops, but the overall yield seems smaller. Cutting all the canes back for the winter and relying only on a single year’s canes yields a nice heavy summer/fall crop. But of course weather impacting pollination also plays into our success, or lack thereof, especially with the spring crop.
    Took me awhile to figure out everbearing canes as I was raised with the June-bearing variety, which gets a selective late fall prune only.

Last of the pears are coming down. 5 batches of Perry and we processed a bunch of baked pears plus froze 6 gal bags of shredded pears to be used in various dishes later.

In spite of a severe drought this year the tree had a bumper crop, i watered it a bit. Garlic did well but it was a rough year for everything else. I hooked up the rain barrels and have been watering grass seed and flowers from that for the last month to keep things going and to repair the yard that was burnt to bare dirt.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    Ouch,

Hope your alums make it through.
    A dry week should let the soil drain so I can get stuff in the ground, forecast says that's gonna happen. I don't believe it :shrug:

I’m getting the itch to grow things

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzworthy View Post
    #bonerpillsFTW
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    #bonerpillsFTW
    Are those beneficial for peppers, tomatoes and cannabis?

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzworthy View Post
    Let’s go!! Anyone down to trade seeds? I’ve got a pretty substantial collection of vegetable and northeast native seeds, and always looking for more.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Rhubarb is poking up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Garlic too

Yeah garlic starting to poke thru here too...

I love this thread. Garden is under 3 feet of snow, anybody else zone 3a?
    Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.
    Henry David Thoreau

By the end of the day tomorrow my backyard will be just under 80" of rain in 10 months. It's a soggy, moldy, mildewy mess, the garlic rotted in the ground over the winter and the only perennial that's greening up is my raspberries and strawberries in hanging baskets.

edit: I just added it up, I had 10.4" in March.
    Last edited by gravitylover; 04-03-2024 at 07:53 PM.

Our lower garden has a been a mud puddle most of the last ten months

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    By the end of the day tomorrow my backyard will be just under 80" of rain in 10 months. It's a soggy, moldy, mildewy mess, the garlic rotted in the ground over the winter and the only perennial that's greening up is my raspberries and strawberries in hanging baskets.

edit: I just added it up, I had 10.4" in March.
    So did you get rain or snow out of the storm?

23 and snowing.
    rhubarb and garlic are up here too - looking happy.

tomatoes, squash, cucumbers, brussels started inside yesterday ..
    north bound horse.

Tomato and pepper plant was a nice gift from next door. Game on.
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy

Going with pots this year.

Name:	Image1715449303.467706.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	227.5 KB 
ID:	493417Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1715449319.821461.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	235.7 KB 
ID:	493418

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

So last night when I got home, the neighbors contractors were dumping paint into my garden. Right on top of my mint and right next to my oregano. If it’s just latex acrylic, it’s water soluble and not really all that bad. Not preferred of course but maybe not damaging. So I went out tonight and it is still making my eyes water with the fumes. So I rang the neighbors bell and he said that they were staining his mantle. He doesn’t know if they would be using oil or not, but I bet they were. I’m gonna have to get his GC involved. Might have to remove some soil. Just like I need another problem at the moment.