30ft Trailer Stop in Tahoe

Hey all,

Making a big Airstreaming through California trip this summer. Vegas, Disneyland, Malibu, and Pismo have all been pinned down and reserved.

We need two nights on/near Tahoe on the last leg in July.

We are thinking to travel to South Lake Tahoe from Pismo Beach (one night at an Harvest Host in the Central Valley in between) and then from there up to Bend OR probably on 395 through Reno (probably all the way up to hwy 20 even though longer because we know where to camp through that stretch and the towing is easy)

Camping reservations are a bear to pin down. Any recommendations on where to land? Perhaps we should skip the south lake and plan to go though Truckee? Open to any suggestions from RV resorts, public parks, to dispersed boondocking. Wanting low key since we will have been busy areas much of the trip if possible; I am sure Tahoe is damn popular. Open to other places in the general area too.

I have never been near Tahoe so any recommendations are helpful.

Thanks!
    "Let's be careful out there."

Late July can be pretty hot around Tahoe. Campgrounds near the lake probably book out fast and early, and some of them are really cramped looking.

There's a USFS campground at the very top of Mt Rose highway, at the summit, at around 9000' elevation. I haven't stayed there, but friends have, and it's pretty nice.
    https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/htnf...a/?recid=65204
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Did you end up deciding on a route / spot to stay in Tahoe?

It's not just near the lake that books out fast, everything in the area seems to between Memorial Day and Labor day.

I've stayed at this dispersed spot a few times just south of South Lake, it has always been open. It's a decent size spot but on a narrow-ish side road off the main dirt road. Not sure how easy a 30ft trailer would be to get in/out. https://www.google.com/maps/@38.7666...!1e3?entry=ttu

There are plenty of campgrounds along both Hwys 4 and 88. Maybe look at Hope Valley or down by Blue Lakes. Off Hwy 4 there is a campground at an OHV trailhead that should accommodate larger trailers (Hermit Valley https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Pism...!3e0?entry=ttu) and another Centerville Flat https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Pism...!3e0?entry=ttu that looks pretty open. Lots of other campgrounds near Lake Alpine as well.

Thanks for the help all.

We scored a couple nights at William Kent Campground. Looks nice from the pictures.

I downloaded Campflare from the App Store. It will monitor selected campgrounds for dates and reach out if there have been cancellations. It is pretty sweet in a world where bots snag all the campgrounds.

We are in Truckee now. Cool town!

We are going to William Kent just outside of Tahoe City tomorrow.

What’s the flatter and easier way 89 or 267?

Quote Originally Posted by Hood26 View Post
    We are in Truckee now. Cool town!

We are going to William Kent just outside of Tahoe City tomorrow.

What’s the flatter and easier way 89 or 267?
    89 is flatter for sure. Possibly more traffic circles.

Expect black bears at William Kent. Just don't be the weak link, there's almost certain to be a family leaving out an entire dinner spread overnight.

100% take 89.

Thanks folks. I was about to go the other way.

For sure we keep a tight camp. If only everywhere was still bear country; think how tidy.