Grand Canyon Questions

So my kid is starting junior high next year and we are trying to plan something nice just before school starts this fall. I am thinking floating the Grand Canyon fits the bill. Has anyone here ever done this with a 12 year old? He's an athletic kid and a decent swimmer, but he has never done any rafting at all. I've always wanted to do a full canyon float in a dory, but schedule and funds will limit us to either a half canyon oar trip or a full canyon motorized. Any idea what would be a better option of these?

I am by no means a rafting expert but I'd never recommend a GC trip for a first time rafter, regardless of age. How about Westwater, Ruby Horsethief or something more moderate but still awesome?

That said, I have never done the GC. I could be mistaken in perceiving it as much bigger/committing than something like 7-8 days at Desolation/San Juan which I am familiar with.

I have a 12 year old and am very interested in this thread as this is at #1 on my bucket list
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

If you are doing a guided trip a 12 year old will enjoy the hell out of it. If it were me I would opt for the 1/2 oar trip VS a motor trip. Phantom to Diamond?
    @Danno, ever read the Emerald Mile? Good book about the Ditch.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Yeah, I have read that, great book.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

No problem for a 12 YO on a guided trip, it’s great that they can swim and all, it the reality is camping in the desert for that many days.

Does he love camping?
    How will he do with the constant heat of summer in the Grand, how about being in sand all the time at camp, and will he be ok with peeing in the River and pooping in the groover for that many days.

It’s an amazing place so I recommend going but make sure it’s a good fit.

Deciding between a full motor trip or half rowing, I’d say it depends on what experience you want.

Motor trips can obviously cover more miles so you get to see the whole canyon and plenty of hikes, but it is a bigger crowd on your trip with maybe less adventurous people.

Rowing is quieter and smaller group, if you can on,y swing half, the bottom is the way to go, you se the biggest water in the inner gorge, plus you will most likely get helicoptered put at whitmore as part of the shuttle which is an experience on its own.

Hope that helps

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Grand Canyon Questions

Agree with Wannabe. Friends did a trip and a kid from another family “couldn’t” poop in the groover, so the family helicoptered out.
    Does he like to hike?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1682270948.989383.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	432.6 KB 
ID:	456711
    Last edited by plugboots; 04-23-2023 at 11:29 AM.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Friends did a trip and a kid from another family “couldn’t” poop in the groover, so the family helicoptered out.
    Seriously? How much did that little bit of pampered parenting cost?

I've floated the Grand a handful of time and most of the other desert canyons. It really is substantially more amazing that the others. That said, the desert is an inhospitable place and a guided trip is a bit of a unique experience.

I would say that rafting is about the least important skill. You need to be used to and enjoy structure and routine more than anything. Breakfast will be at a certain time and have few choices. When it's time to hike, you will be hiking. The guides will bust their ass but for lazy people it will feel like a working vacation.

Thanks for the info guys. Unfortunately the trip planning is on hold for a bit. My wife’s sister was just diagnosed with late stage mouth cancer and she has basically no support system in place. Which means my wife will probably be shuttling between KY and Utah for the foreseeable future to help out. Fuck cancer.

Fuck cancer.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

So yeah Fuck Cancer

In hard times trip research as such can provide therapy. Plus, I'm not sure about trip availability for Summer '23. Maybe spin it as a, if you kick ass Freshman Year type of thing.

The bottom half is better, you'll be into the Super Bowl of Rafting AKA The Shit starting with Horn about 5 min. after you get your feet wet. I don't know how commercial's do it but joining the middle of a trip can be weird. Something to think about.