Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Moab First Timer Thread

There are a lot of old threads about Moab conditions, camping questions, trip reports, etc. but not too much of conglomerated info on trails/trail systems to ride for a first timer.

We'll be heading down late next week for a quick in and out. Normally I wouldn't feel the need to make this thread but will have my GF tagging along who is fairly new to mtb and definitely not down for any super chunky or exposed riding at this time.

Camping seems to be a hot topic, but for this trip since we're only staying 1 night decided to go the semi pampered route of staying in someone's shed in town. Definitely planning to do some driving around to scope out campgrounds for future reference. But, there does seem to be a lot of great info on here for that already.

As far as trails go, it seems like the Navajo Rocks and Horsethief areas are what we should be focusing on. We're only there for a Thursday and Friday, and with this being both of our first outings of the season. Probably not looking to ride over 15 miles a day, which by the looks of things on TF shouldn't be a problem.

Mainly what I'm looking for:
    - Good introduction to slick rock riding for the lady
    - Try to minimize or completely avoid multiuse trails (dirt bikes, ORV, jeeps, etc)
    - If there are any trails with a high density of side features/ride arounds that'd be perfect
    - Good scenery/views
    - Overall, making this an experience that we'd like to repeat

Thanks to the collective in advance

Navajo Rocks and Horsethief areas are good suggestions.

Navajo might be a bit longer than you want. Every time I've ridden the full loop it just seems longer than the mileage states and I'm kinda over it about 3/4 of the way through. I usually start at the east end and ride counter clockwise. Trailforks shows the other direction preferred, so maybe that is the problem?

In the Horsethief area I really like to make a loop out of a couple options for the Mag7 route. This loop is pretty good - https://www.trailforks.com/route/alw...wn-hilllonger/. There might be a few moves for GF to walk but otherwise the tech level isn't bad, the views are awesome and the ride flows well both directions. Lots of slickrock. It's a bit longer than Navajo rocks loop but feels easier. Being a figure 8 there is a bailout at the 12 mile mark if getting tired. A short detour to Gemini Bridges (big arches) is worthwhile.

The other trail system that might be worth riding is Moab Brand trails. Views aren't as great as the other two but there is a bit of everything ride-wise. The network is a web of trails so it's easy to ride as much or as little as you want.

This loop doesn't meet the no ohv standard if you ride up the road, but would be a cool loop. https://www.trailforks.com/route/eag...con-flow-loop/ The Eagle Eye section might still have snow, if so you can loop hawk's glide and Falcon flow. They're pretty fun trails and scenery is good. If you go up there, a stop in to ride the Slick rock practice loop would be cool. Heading up there requires a day use fee at Sand Flats. Might be possible to get a shuttle lift to the top at Eagle eye.

Agreed with evdog's recommendations, although I like the Klondike trails better than the moab brand trails.

But for 2 days of riding that more or less meets your criteria, I'd do day 1 at Navajo rocks, then on day 2 I'd pay for a shuttle to get me as high up sand flats as they'd take me, which is probably eagle eye. Eagle eye -> hawks glide -> falcon flow, then do the ~10 minute pedal on sand flats road (which will be mildly unpleasant, but it's short), duck into the slick rock practice loop, then ride back down into town.

Or if you're OK with more tech, just do porcupine on that second day. It's the definitive moab classic.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Agreed with evdog's recommendations, although I like the Klondike trails better than the moab brand trails.

But for 2 days of riding that more or less meets your criteria, I'd do day 1 at Navajo rocks, then on day 2 I'd pay for a shuttle to get me as high up sand flats as they'd take me, which is probably eagle eye. Eagle eye -> hawks glide -> falcon flow, then do the ~10 minute pedal on sand flats road (which will be mildly unpleasant, but it's short), duck into the slick rock practice loop, then ride back down into town.

Or if you're OK with more tech, just do porcupine on that second day. It's the definitive moab classic.
    Yeah, I was gonna suggest Klondike, just stay away from EKG unless you really want to test how much the girlfriend really likes you. Motos are allowed but rare. Good slick rock riding.

Never done Bartlett but I think it is easy slick rock? someone else might chime in.

We are headed down tomorrow for a few days. I hope to check out the Eagle Eye and Falcon flow route. (Raptor routes?). Mainly because some people in our group are recovering from injuries and I haven't ridden those. That's a good suggestion. Practice loop is fun.

Navajo, Horsetheif, and some of the other rides around that area like Rodeo are all pretty fun. Rodeo get little traffic, and is a good shorter ride with little climbing.

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post

Never done Bartlett but I think it is easy slick rock? someone else might chime in.
    Bartlett's a fun little area to screw around in, but there's not really a trail to speak of. It's just kind of a free for all area where you can find little (or big) drops and slickrock rolls to play around on. And it's not a huge area - it takes maybe 10-15 minutes to ride from one end to the other.

Trails up at Deadhorse State Park would also be decent for a beginner, and the views are really nice.

I’d do the Northern side of the Navajo rocks loop and spin the road. This is about 14 miles I believe and makes it a lot easier than the singletrack climb.

If you want something a tiny bit more technical than this, ride down Bull Run and up Get Away.

If you want something a bit more chill then go to Deathhorse state park and do the loop.

Go to canyonlands while you’re up there. Regarding making it a good experience, I think good food and drinks goes a long way.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Mega Steps to Baby Steps North is one of my favorite loops in Moab.

For a novice rider I'd recommend Klonzo trails for mellow traffic and nice views. It has lots of options on both sides of the road and is a quick trip from town. We took a novice friend last spring for her first time and it was great. https://www.trailforks.com/poi/422/

Navajo is a good follow-up to that and provides more of a "real" Moab experience with the cliffs and terrain you're riding through. Deadhorse loop is good too, just a bit more driving.

never been to southern utah, but we'll be through Moab in the hottest part of the year
    where to cool off in August?
    go sit in the colorado?

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    never been to southern utah, but we'll be through Moab in the hottest part of the year
    go sit in the colorado?
    That works.

Also: The La Sals

Go up high in the la Sals. There is a couple days of riding up there. Or just drive 3 hrs to Durango. Or 1 hr south to the Abajos.

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    go sit in the colorado?
    Go high. You can camp at ~10,000 feet up towards the la salles and have good riding in the Burro Pass vicinity.

But yeah, there's plenty of water to dip into down lower. Stick to smaller creeks to minimize superfund site exposure.

We poach one of the pools at a hotel. BYOB and just basically see how far you can push it before they kick you out.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Trails up at Deadhorse State Park would also be decent for a beginner, and the views are really nice.
    Was going to recommend this as well. Mellow riding and tons of epic views into canyonlands (see below). I have been there with a few newer riders and they loved it - usually do the full loop counter clockwise

I think between that and Navajo Rocks you’ll have a great time, but do heed others’ warnings that the full Navajo loop can feel long especially if you’re not used to desert riding. Miles are slow out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by other grskier View Post
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

Last week I did a hotel for the first time in years. Went down and had breakfast and then went out to set up bikes. Three different families had spent the night in vans in the lot, and were coming out from having the hotel breakfast. Made me laugh in context to the above.

What others said.
    -Deadhorse is easy riding with great views
    -Navajo Rocks is a blast, not too difficult but still fun for better riders. I second the spin the road up, ride down the northern half of the loop.
    -All of the upper half of Mag 7 is great. Down Bull Run -> Great Escape, up Little Canyon -> Arth's -> Getaway. It's a touch more technical than Navajo Rocks but still very accessible for intermediate riders (might walk a couple short spots). Easy to make this shorter if desired.
    -Klondike is just meh IMO compared to the others above but better than Klonzo and Moab Brand

Great information so far, much appreciated!

Didn't realize how close Canyonlands was, we'll definitely be incorporating that into a morning or evening.

How's cell coverage for Verizon and AT&T? Is brining an inReach overkill?

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post

Didn't realize how close Canyonlands was, we'll definitely be incorporating that into a morning or evening.

How's cell coverage for Verizon and AT&T? Is brining an inReach overkill?
    Arches is a little easier for a quick half day trip. Canyonlands is big. Afternoons might work better too; go in when everyone else is starting to come out.

Cell coverage is mostly pretty good, but you can certainly get into areas without coverage. An inreach is small and it never hurts to have it along.

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post

Canyonlands isn't the type of park where you can see a lot in an afternoon since it's massive. There are a few attractions off Island in the Sky but it's mostly vistas down over the park (which don't get me wrong are still epic) but best to see those as part of the Dead Horse bike ride or if you don't want to do that ride just drive out to Dead Horse point state park after you do Navajo Rocks and sit on the viewpoint with some beers for sunset. If you want to experience Canyonlands you kinda have to devote a few days to going down in there.

As Toast said if you want to see a ton of wild rock features in an afternoon Arches is better bang for your buck, especially if you're already staying in town. Just drive the park and stop at the main attractions and it won't disappoint as long as it's not like a 2 hour wait to get in (you should check if reservations are required)
    Quote Originally Posted by other grskier View Post
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

Arches you need a reservation unless it's after 4pm. Longs canyon is a fun way to go up to Dead Horse, you need a truck or SUV but it's not a burly road. There's roadside petroglyphs on Potash road you will be going by before/after Longs that are worth stopping for near the climbing walls, should be on Google Maps.

If you go up to Navajo Rocks/Canyonlands/Dead Horse on Highway 313, there's some cool petroglyphs on the north side, also right off the highway about at mile marker three, Intestine Man and other animals. Also some before that, near an alcove.

Is the back way into Arches illegal now? I used to sneak in on my Moto then go out to some lesser known arches and stuff. Totally avoided paying or talking to rangers at the main entrance. You'd need a high clearance vehicle though.

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Mantooth View Post
    Was going to recommend this as well. Mellow riding and tons of epic views into canyonlands (see below). I have been there with a few newer riders and they loved it - usually do the full loop counter clockwise

I think between that and Navajo Rocks you’ll have a great time, but do heed others’ warnings that the full Navajo loop can feel long especially if you’re not used to desert riding. Miles are slow out there.
    Great stuff here and I don't have much to add except to highlight the miles are slow quote. Definitely don't expect too fast of a pace, or overlook a section of trail because it's 'only' a few miles.

I like to start people at bar M, shake down the rigs and get used to desert tech riding, and Never have to venture too far from the lot. Ez/lazy to north 40 is a great one to start, loop in sidewinder and deadmans for longer and more difficult options, the circle O trail out there sux.. avoid that one imo..

If that ride goes well, head up to Navajo, a shuttle involving Chisholm trail is also a great ride for intermediate riders. Or a ramblin/rocky top loop. Neither have big climbs but they all have very punchy climbs. Could be a bit of walking for rider not used to super steep high output grunts.

Klonzo trails are a great alternate option if north 40 was found to be very challenging. Much mellower less techy high desert trails out here. Or hit the deadhorse state park trails.

Eagle eye to falcon flow is also a cool intermediate level shuttle up on sand flats. The connection to falcon flow back down the porcupine climb road(fat man's) absolutely rips, but can be intimidating for a newer rider. Edit-- I forgot they completed a blue connection here, hawks glide, That bypasses this road section.

Also be sure to highlight that in Moab any shuttle ride will involve way more climbing that you may be expecting.
    ...tricks deserve applause, style deserves respect

As dad coach for trips out that way, I like Rockin' A and that area of moab brand for an intro to slick rock for the kids we have with us. But that spans from 7 to 12 so..... a bit of a different context.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    Is the back way into Arches illegal now? I used to sneak in on my Moto then go out to some lesser known arches and stuff. Totally avoided paying or talking to rangers at the main entrance. You'd need a high clearance vehicle though.
    That entrance is still on the map so AFAIK it's still open.