Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    Well... this is why those YTs were cheaper last few weeks:

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/first-...65cm-4555.html
    If this ever goes on sale, I'd be interested. For my wife mostly rather than for my son. It does have some odd choices spec wise though. 150mm of travel seems a lot for a 66 hta bike these days, though I guess kids like to jump. And as it's 150, it then gets a Lyric, which seems overkill for most riders of this size. Had I been designing it for small riders with a "gravity bias" as the pinkbike article says YT aimed for, I'd have gone for 140mm of travel, 65 degree HTA, and a Pike to save weight.

Edit: Found the weight: 33.7 lbs. That's a good bit for a kids bike (though I acknowledge this is basically a lower tier adults size xs bike).

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    Well... this is why those YTs were cheaper last few weeks:

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/first-...65cm-4555.html
    That's an addition to the current lineup, not a replacement for the ones that have been on sale.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusBrody View Post
    (though I acknowledge this is basically a lower tier adults size xs bike).
    Not "basically," it *is* a XS adult bike. There are no separate CPSC standards for kids MTBs. Even 20-inch frames and parts have to meet adult strength specs. So, in the "light/strong/cheap, pick two" equation the strong part is non-negotiable. It's pretty much the sole reason why kids MTBs are either stupid heavy or stupid expensive.

For amusement you should venture into MTBR forums in the family riding section. There's a thread where the weight weenies go nuts with parts I would be skeptical holding and then putting them on their kids bike. In some cases it's the crazy high end Tune german and other fancy WW stuff, others ebay/alibaba knock-off specials.

Riskiest I've gone is recycled and cut older carbon bars for my not crazy aggressive and very lightweight kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    That's an addition to the current lineup, not a replacement for the ones that have been on sale.

Not "basically," it *is* a XS adult bike. There are no separate CPSC standards for kids MTBs. Even 20-inch frames and parts have to meet adult strength specs. So, in the "light/strong/cheap, pick two" equation the strong part is non-negotiable. It's pretty much the sole reason why kids MTBs are either stupid heavy or stupid expensive.
    I don't think it's the frame strength requirements that is driving the weight. Plenty of similar bikes are larger, cheaper, and the same weight or lighter. Polygon's D7 is an example. It weighs basically same, has 29 in wheels, and all the places I could find weighing it were on larger frame sizes. It's also $7-900 cheaper. The Jeffsy is I believe heavier than Giant's adult sized Stances and the same weight as the lower tier (and similarly priced) Trance X with 29 in wheels.

I'm not being that critical. It looks like a good bike. I just think they just made either some misjudgments in component spec for the age group (lighter 10-11 speed would be better than heavier 12, and few 11 year olds need a Lyric) or geometry (the ones that do need a Lyric would probably benefit from a head tube angle slacker than 66 degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusBrody View Post
    I just think they just made either some misjudgments in component spec for the age group (lighter 10-11 speed would be better than heavier 12, and few 11 year olds need a Lyric) or geometry (the ones that do need a Lyric would probably benefit from a head tube angle slacker than 66 degrees.
    Agreed.

Won't fox stretch a 34 to 150mm for OEM applications? Seems like that would have been a reasonable choice. Not like YT is stuck with only what is available to consumers--they can say "build me a fork that is soft and flexy because it is not going to be ridden by anyone over 120lbs"

My boy is riding one of those 24" Cannondale cujo. We got it used for $300 and it only had one scratch on it. Still had all the tire nubs on it. It works fine for him. His biggest complaint is it is heavy. We had a bottom bracket issue where the outer threaded ring of the bottom bracket came loose. Luckily the shop in ketchum found one in the back. Other than that, it's been trouble free. He was pretty stoked on it yesterday so i actually talked him into installing an old Easton carbon bar i had laying around. Saved a little weight, he says the bike is now more responsive, lol.
    I am keeping my eyes peeled for a cheap hydraulic brake solution. Gonna look at the Shimano 201.
    Seems like a decent bike, same as the others on that price range...
    sigless.

Quote Originally Posted by basinbeater View Post
    I am keeping my eyes peeled for a cheap hydraulic brake solution. Gonna look at the Shimano 201.
    Seems like a decent bike, same as the others on that price range...
    I found an older set of XT single pots for my kiddo…his hands were toast on longer downhills when he had cable discs. Not a “cheap” option, but they work so well and I can dial the levers close to the bars to suit wee hands.

Mt-201 are pretty good as mentioned a few times. They’re hard to find non-oem, but tektro makes HD276 that have shorter lever throw for kids bikes. The HD275s are more common and my other kid hasn’t had trouble reaching, but would be nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone have a Woom 4 Off they’re looking to get rid of?

I’m going to have 2 Santa Cruz Superlight XS size 26” wheel bikes come available at some point this summer. Very very high component specs (I9 wheels kind of spec).

Let me know if anyone is interest in buying for their kid.

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    I’m going to have 2 Santa Cruz Superlight XS size 26” wheel bikes come available at some point this summer. Very very high component specs (I9 wheels kind of spec).

Let me know if anyone is interest in buying for their kid.
    I may be but likely won’t need this wheel size until 1 year from now. Happy to step aside for immediate need but I am on the potential buyer list for sure.
    Uno mas

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    Anyone have a Woom 4 Off they’re looking to get rid of?
    I have a lil shredder I’m looking to pass off soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Doremite View Post
    I may be but likely won’t need this wheel size until 1 year from now. Happy to step aside for immediate need but I am on the potential buyer list for sure.

Well, they are available. 26" wheels. Both are super cool looking (important for kids).

One is an older Santa Cruz Juliana XS Superlight metallic red frame with Marzocchi Marathon SL fork (branded Santa Cruz), Chris King headset, XTR components, American Classic MTB 26 wheels (some of the lightest mtb wheels ever made), carbon crank, carbon bars, PNW dropper post, Avid Elixer CR brakes, 2.35/2.4 tires. XTR front triple set up as a 2x with bashguard. Bike is stupidly light.

The other is a newer Santa Cruz Juliana XS white frame with no stickers with a white matching Reba U turn shock. Purple Cane Creek headset. SRAM XX groupset, 2x. I9 wheels - purple spokes and hubs with white rims, tubeless. 2.4 tires. Carbon bars. Reverb dropper. Avid Elixer brakes. Also very light.

Two of the nicest 26" kids bikes you will ever find.

If anyone needs one of these let me know and I'll send pictures, but it'll probably take me a week or more to get em listed on local craigslist/facebook and posted in a real thread here, so I figured I'd describe them here in case someone is looking (summer starting up, after all.) Have not yet figured out pricing.

Anyone have any experience with Forth bikes (previously Park)? The X2 looks like decent hydro brakes, shifters, and fork for $615. On the heavy side but the price is right. I could put some lighter bars/stem/crank/bb perhaps if the kid ended up struggling with the weight? I have an opportunity to buy a blinged out used trailcraft but it's still a ton of money ($1100). And I need 2x 20" bikes, not just 1.

But I'm not on a buffaloooooo.

Trying again:
    Anyone have any experience with Forth bikes (previously Park)? The X2 looks like decent hydro brakes, shifters, and fork for $615. On the heavy side but the price is right. I could put some lighter bars/stem/crank/bb perhaps if the kid ended up struggling with the weight? I have an opportunity to buy a blinged out used trailcraft but it's still a ton of money ($1100). And I need 2x 20" bikes, not just 1.

Anyone have a Woom 3 for sale?

Quote Originally Posted by Doremite View Post
    I think I'm going to buy one of these for my boy. A lot of 24" bikes are big for him, but this one (and the Riprock) appear to be good. Any glaring reason I shouldn't? Thanks.

The cleary are nice but heavy. For that price it should be a couple pounds lighter.

Yeah, a bit portly for a 24" hardtail. It's a decent deal at the sale price, not so great not on sale. I'd check out the Nukeproof Cub Scout 24 before you pull the trigger.

Well, I was leaning toward buying my boy a Prevelo Zulu when I saw one of these listed for $225 used and pounced: https://www.frogbikes.com/Mountain-Bike-Frog-MTB-62

3 lbs lighter than the Cleary and good reviews on the fork for smaller kids (mine is 50", 50 lbs) from UK sources. We just finished a circuit of the neighborhood trails and he is psyched. If he ends up needing a more aggressive bike in a year or two I'll be happy to upgrade.

Last week my boy a did a week of AVID mountain bike camp and I can't recommend it enough, at least for kids like him who who have modest skills, are fairly fearless, and don't like taking directions from dad. One week of biking around with other kids all day (lots and lots of pump track) and he is transformed into a fairly competent rider. He did it with two of his cousins and they had similar results. All three of them went from thinking bikes are fine to thinking bikes are awesome.

I have no idea if this is a good deal, but a friend of mine just listed this Lil Shredder 24" bike: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...0103618733936/
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    Well, they are available. 26" wheels. Both are super cool looking (important for kids).

One is an older Santa Cruz Juliana XS Superlight metallic red frame with Marzocchi Marathon SL fork (branded Santa Cruz), Chris King headset, XTR components, American Classic MTB 26 wheels (some of the lightest mtb wheels ever made), carbon crank, carbon bars, PNW dropper post, Avid Elixer CR brakes, 2.35/2.4 tires. XTR front triple set up as a 2x with bashguard. Bike is stupidly light.

The other is a newer Santa Cruz Juliana XS white frame with no stickers with a white matching Reba U turn shock. Purple Cane Creek headset. SRAM XX groupset, 2x. I9 wheels - purple spokes and hubs with white rims, tubeless. 2.4 tires. Carbon bars. Reverb dropper. Avid Elixer brakes. Also very light.

Two of the nicest 26" kids bikes you will ever find.

If anyone needs one of these let me know and I'll send pictures, but it'll probably take me a week or more to get em listed on local craigslist/facebook and posted in a real thread here, so I figured I'd describe them here in case someone is looking (summer starting up, after all.) Have not yet figured out pricing.
    Any chance you could put out a price you're looking for on these bikes? Might be interested.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Well, I was leaning toward buying my boy a Prevelo Zulu when I saw one of these listed for $225 used and pounced: https://www.frogbikes.com/Mountain-Bike-Frog-MTB-62

3 lbs lighter than the Cleary and good reviews on the fork for smaller kids (mine is 50", 50 lbs) from UK sources. We just finished a circuit of the neighborhood trails and he is psyched. If he ends up needing a more aggressive bike in a year or two I'll be happy to upgrade.

Last week my boy a did a week of AVID mountain bike camp and I can't recommend it enough, at least for kids like him who who have modest skills, are fairly fearless, and don't like taking directions from dad. One week of biking around with other kids all day (lots and lots of pump track) and he is transformed into a fairly competent rider. He did it with two of his cousins and they had similar results. All three of them went from thinking bikes are fine to thinking bikes are awesome.
    Nice, that's a lot of bike for $225. Stoked to hear about the camp results!

ISBD - my 8 yo is doing that same camp in July. Last year he did the 2-week different sport every day one and loved it. This year he chose 1-week biking and 1-week kayaking. Glad to hear your kid liked it!

I’ve also got him signed up for SMBA in the fall. First time for that.

I continue to peruse the market but so far his 20” Trek Roscoe is doing the job and he likes it. Depends on how much he grows this year