Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Check out https://bit.ly/Chileskiguide, although I haven’t updated it for a few years, it still gives a good overview of weather, geography, ski areas and backcountry options.

For rentals, google winter van rentals chile, or some such. Stuff like this should show up https://yeticampers.com/campers/.

Here is a website documenting many options for ski routes. https://www.andestouring.com/lugares/

“Plan is to fly into Santiago. My initial reading suggests you would catch connecting flights from there?”

Yes, you could fly to Temuco for a
    volcano tour, for example, but probably the best adventure would be to drive, choosing a few spots between Portillo and Araucania and get a taste for the different latitudes of Chile, which decreases in altitude going south, but also increases in snowfall. Each deviation from the Panam highway implies a ~2 hour drive into the mountains to the snow line.

Maule stoke from Aerotoscana helis

https://youtu.be/6RYvUIUC50A

Nice to see some snow on the Lenas cam for once!

Villarrica was frosty last Thursday, and is getting clobbered right now (top)

A little late but the first snowfall on Puntiagudo, Osorno, and the tip of Tronador from Llanquihue on the last day of March

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2023-05-23 at 6.01.35 AM.jpeg 
Views:	73 
Size:	49.6 KB 
ID:	459816

Portillo gets a dusting

Name:  Tiempo-pronóstico-y-condiciones-de-nieve-Skiportillo.jpg
Views: 1220
Size:  93.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by BeardedClam View Post
    A little late but the first snowfall on Puntiagudo, Osorno, and the tip of Tronador from Llanquihue on the last day of March
    I take it you're down there? You live in WA otherwise right? I think we may have met up at Baker, I'm in Bellingham and would love to talk Chile some time.

Quote Originally Posted by kamtron View Post
    I take it you're down there? You live in WA otherwise right? I think we may have met up at Baker, I'm in Bellingham and would love to talk Chile some time.
    Aspiring expat for the next decade. Not there currently but check your pm's

A bit more than a dusting today.

Name:	SnapShot-20230524_085434.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	207.6 KB 
ID:	459876

But not much more forecast, for now.

Now this looks a bit more like winter, at least for a couple days. Windy, with an unusual 100km/hr event in Puerto Montt last night. Paradoxically, that bodes well, things are getting shaken up...

Name:  Dirección-Meteorológica-de-Chile.jpg
Views: 1132
Size:  151.9 KB

Kinda like the ocean surge forecasting which is important in Chile: " AVISO DE MAREJADAS ANORMALES SECTOR GOLFO DE PENAS HASTA ARICA Y ARCHIPIÉLAGO DE JUAN FERNÁNDEZ DESDE MARTES 23 DE MAYO HASTA SÁBADO 27 DE MAYO ."

Name:  https-www-directemar-cl-directemar-aviso-de-marejadas-0.jpg
Views: 1129
Size:  115.9 KB

https://www.directemar.cl/directemar...de-marejadas-0

And that looks more like it

ECMWF a week out looks not bad precip wise

An old lady vroom vroom collaboration from Pucon

Obviously hard to predict, would mid august or mid September be a more ideal timeframe for spring skiing in Chile? Again for human powered skiing

Quote Originally Posted by kevino View Post
    Obviously hard to predict, would mid august or mid September be a more ideal timeframe for spring skiing in Chile? Again for human powered skiing
    September has fewer down days, but generally poorer snow quality. I would go for mid August.

I am not in Chile til mid July, so will not be posting much here.

While the central zone continues to be dry, the more southern volcanos are getting their first coverings.

Hello Casey,
    Hope you're doing well. Ever skied in Ushuaia, what are your thoughts? Know it's on the other side of the border for you, but I may be spending the season there…
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Jasnah View Post
    Hello Casey,
    Hope you're doing well. Ever skied in Ushuaia, what are your thoughts? Know it's on the other side of the border for you, but I may be spending the season there…
    Cheers
    I was in Ushuaia once, in 1977, when it was a wild west town with incongruous tax free ski shops, and a rope tow. I assume it has changed a bit, don’t know if for the better.

I do know the weather there, right beside the ocean, is crazy wind, snow, and rain. It is also beautiful. Way back then, the king crab were crawling around just below the town dock.

Snowbrains may have some updated info.

Things are dire for early season skiing, bone dry in the central zone, and nothing of note on the horizon.

Name:	9CBEA674-4D39-4DB2-8391-E003306096C9.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	409.9 KB 
ID:	461889

Quote Originally Posted by Casey E View Post
    I was in Ushuaia once, in 1977, when it was a wild west town with incongruous tax free ski shops, and a rope tow. I assume it has changed a bit, don’t know if for the better.

I do know the weather there, right beside the ocean, is crazy wind, snow, and rain. It is also beautiful. Way back then, the king crab were crawling around just below the town dock.

Snowbrains may have some updated info.

I went to Ushuaia a while ago. More recently than Casey, but still in the 1990's...

It was small then. Beautiful, but not a place I would want to hang for a long time like Las Lenas (if it snows and/or Marte actually opens). More than rope tow, but a couple of lifts, not a ton of vert, and nothing that I was just dieing to ski, again unlike LL or Portillo, or even the touring around Chillan. Sorry, that's all I got.
    He who has the most fun wins!

Will keep you guys updated so!

Corralco announces its entry into the bigger leagues with the acquisition of a used high speed quad from the US, to be operational in 2024. Big question is will it open new terrain or replace the clunky old platter / t-bar combo. I personally have had 3 bars bust on me while riding that highly inefficient (also used) lift, which was a game changer when it opened about 8 years ago.

https://www.emol.com/noticias/Econom...temporada.html

just bought stupidly cheap tickets to argentina, $800 bucks round trip from NYC to Bariloche with a few days in Baries each way. Pretty pumped

Looks like rain up high the length of the Andes. Up to 3,500m freezing level in the central Andes…

Quote Originally Posted by tylerjames View Post
    just bought stupidly cheap tickets to argentina, $800 bucks round trip from NYC to Bariloche with a few days in Baries each way. Pretty pumped
    Nice! When will you be down here? I'm planning on being in Argentina mid-July/early September.