Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    I love his paragraphs upon paragraphs of nonchalant descriptions before he broke his leg, like of where he parked, going up in the dark and seeing the lights of Whsitler, staying at the hut, etc. it's like - skip to the headline bud. No one cares the hut door was dug out for you before you woke up and FELL OFF A 200'+ CLIFF

I think he has a lot of time to kill as he waits for his tibia and pelvis and ribs etc to heal. But yeah - the nonchalance is telling.

Just to lighten up the mood here's some fun times from Parks Mountain Safety

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture1.JPG 
Views:	121 
Size:	142.9 KB 
ID:	456267

And a classic Aprils Fools

Name:  Capture2.JPG
Views: 669
Size:  100.6 KB

I like how Dexter says he doesn’t sound like a beginner. Guy uses skin savers and can’t figure out how to fold his skins in the wind. Uses Fatmap for navigation. A season and a half doesn’t disqualify him as a beginner. Guy is a kook

Despite the April fools joke above Whistler SAR should be monitoring south coast touring and calling in extra staff when this guy starts posting for adventure partners again

In one of his posts he was talking about his “peak goals” as in he wants x peaks a year. Is this a common thing now? What about just going out and doing what the conditions will allow and counting it a blessing?

Im pretty sure he did traverse over all that exposure. From the video, you can see that when he slides into the couloir, there is a big spine to his right, and it definitely appears he is entering from the traverse. The photo posted above says traversed above huge exposure, and is from the SAR report i believe.

Where can the video be found?

Quote Originally Posted by LHutz Esq View Post
    In one of his posts he was talking about his “peak goals” as in he wants x peaks a year. Is this a common thing now? What about just going out and doing what the conditions will allow and counting it a blessing?
    There are websites, social media groups, forums etc dedicated to this now. It's quite common.

Ran into one of these types on Hood a few years back. He was a 16 year old kid from BC that fell from the Pearly gates and slid all the way from there into Devils kitchen. Ended up with a broken femur. Hadn't told his parents he was in the US, also kept telling us to not let them take him to a hospital.

Similar to this guy, he was a "peakbagger" who had "climbed" over 100 "mountains". Went and checked his instagram after the fact and what that entailed was a shit ton of day hikes to random bumps near Vancouver. Some people don't have a great grasp on relative levels of complexity when it comes to the mountains.

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    I like how Dexter says he doesn’t sound like a beginner. Guy uses skin savers and can’t figure out how to fold his skins in the wind. Uses Fatmap for navigation. A season and a half doesn’t disqualify him as a beginner. Guy is a kook
    Dex is always good for a laugh.

Local SAR should have someone assigned to nail Tareef's front door shut early every morning.
    Last edited by PNWbrit; 04-19-2023 at 11:00 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    There are websites, social media groups, forums etc dedicated to this now. It's quite common.
    I wonder if he now counts Wedge as bagged

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    I wonder if he now counts Wedge as bagged
    He went up. He went down. I'm guessing he considers it bagged. He's lucky he wasn't bagged.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    I think it comes over from hikers/scramblers in the summer without realizing how much of a different beast winter is.

Wedge Mountain (Whistler) fall

That and instagrammers making shit look way easier than it is and never posting the fuck ups or scary situations

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    Where can the video be found?
    https://streamable.com/ogicax

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Rutecki View Post
    It has occurred to me that he, like some other people I've heard of, is probably lacking a certain sense about things that most people would consider normal. That's why his actions seem so bizarre/fascinating. Knowing how fatigue and other factors can affect decision making I was tempted to cut him some slack at first (not knowing what had actually happened I thought the comments were too harsh when I first saw this thread), but the guy really just seems off in certain ways that make him a menace in the backcountry.
    Agreed on this point, it is truly fascinating to try to follow the thought process of people like this. They just don't seem to have any common sense about risk (despite at least some education on snow safety) or their complete lack of experience. With a 16 year old it's one thing, but late 20's (guessing) it's just crazy. The peak bagging numbers game is also weird, but understandable. Just odd when people let that override their risk assessment.

Quote Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
    Holy shit. They are goddamn fortunate that both of them didn't get seriously injured!!

Wedge Mountain (Whistler) fall

Thanks for that link. I’m now confident in proclaiming those two idiots soul mates that deserve each other. What a fucking kook. He doubled down on an already stupid move. I get the desire to get down to the fallen asap but how that didn’t end w two frozen carcasses is beyond my comprehension

The worrying thing is that it all feels like those two are the kind of people that won't realize how lucky they got to get through that with as light of consequences as they did and the lessons won't be learned.

That's one hell of a chute groom.

Quote Originally Posted by John_B View Post
    Holy shit. They are goddamn fortunate that both of them didn't get seriously injured!!
    Right? You know it's steep when even the GoPro makes it looks steep. Dude never managed to slow down while digging his heels in and ass dragging. It's a miracle the only victim was his ice axe, that choke didn't look particularly easy to navigate while laying on your back...
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

^^^ That was my exact reaction as well. Jeebus that dude was lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by dmcd View Post
    The worrying thing is that it all feels like those two are the kind of people that won't realize how lucky they got to get through that with as light of consequences as they did and the lessons won't be learned.
    There’s an overlap here with antiscience thinking - anecdotal stories leading to wide reaching conclusions. I did fine therefore I’m right.

I too find it fascinating