Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Not that I would ever buy a GM product anyway, but…

…as an Apple fanboi and Google avoider, Fuck ‘em.
    https://www.reuters.com/technology/g...lp-2023-03-31/

Oh the humanity.

Since it's going into GM products you know it's going to work flawlessly...

The nice thing to me about Android Auto/Apple CarPlay has always been the fact that it *isn't* running in your car. It gets regular software updates, and the hardware gets updated every time you replace your phone.

Screen sizes and stuff may vary (and old cars won't be wireless), but a 2016 car with Android Auto still has a perfectly good and functional system. The integrated systems rarely get good updates over time, especially not for free. Having google involved might help, but I really don't trust GM to be like "yeah, this will still work and get updates 10 years from now" as much as a company like Tesla.

Especially things like 3rd party apps. Sure, the car will support Spotify and today's other big names, but will they support the new hot streaming service that shows up in 2027? Will they let me use my preferred podcast or ebook software or will I have to fall back on some antiquated system where I just connect my phone to the car as a Bluetooth audio device and have very limited browsing/controls on the built in infotainment screen.

Same reason I don't want a smart TV...I want a dumb monitor and a separate streaming device that I can upgrade/replace (currently an nvidia shield pro)...my TV isn't that old, but the built in smart software is already EOL and has major services it doesn't support.

That said, It may not be a common opinion, but I like Android Auto a lot better than Apple Car Play. I find Car Play a lot less willing to just do what I want (especially since I try to still use Google Maps) and I miss nice convenience features from AA like always having the media controls/info visible at the bottom of the screen while running maps.

shillbot^
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    shillbot^
    I personally prefer everything Microsoft based because it has the best hatted employees.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Had CarPlay in my last truck. Never used it. I guess I'm not technologically advanced enough. My wife uses her's a ton though. She has a longer commute.

I don't think this would keep me from buying a GM. I like the Sierras/Silverados a lot better than the Fords and Rams.

It's stuff like this that makes me happy to have my older, mostly "analog" vehicles. As bad is this GM thing is though, at least it's not BMW subscription service for heated seats bad (for $18/month).

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    It's stuff like this that makes me happy to have my older, mostly "analog" vehicles. As bad is this GM thing is though, at least it's not BMW subscription service for heated seats bad (for $18/month).
    Agreed. I went from a fully loaded 2020 Tacoma to a 2009 low miles, low-tech Tundra. Bought a $30 device that lets me bluetooth my Spotify. Got heated seat covers. And I'm good to go at less than half the price.

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    You have to subscribe to get heated seats?

They got pushback on it in NA but it's coming. Not sure where they settled on it in the rest of the world. Other makes, too.

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    You have to subscribe to get heated seats?
    In Europe at least. Definitely in the works for here though. Already is for some brands. Even Toyota with that bullcrap they pulled with the remote start. Something that's been on remote key fobs for well over a decade already. Formerly with zero subscription services required. WTF?! Peep my links below, and that's just scratching the surface.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    They got pushback on it in NA but it's coming. Not sure where they settled on it in the rest of the world. Other makes, too.
    Yup. I weep for the future.

The future of cars is a subscription nightmare
    https://www.theverge.com/2022/7/13/2...s-remote-start

Why You Might Need to Subscribe to Get Certain Features on Your Next Car - Some automakers are planning monthly or yearly subscription fees for certain features already installed on your car
    https://www.consumerreports.org/auto...r-a6575794430/

Buckle Up – Subscriptions Are Coming For Your Car’s Best Features
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidun...h=4cf3c748310b

Toyota kills physical remote start, digital function will be pay-to-play - Physical key fobs won't feature a remote start button any longer. But Toyota's Connected Services will still offer the function, for a price
    https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/t...-subscription/

Good ol' GM. Taking a good thing and making it worse.

I'm hoping Ford doesn't go this path and tries to go back to writing their own Sync software again. My 2017 F-150 just got the newest android auto update a few months ago. It kicked ass before, and it kicks more ass now. Stay in your lane automakers and let the software companies run this part of the show.
    Wait, how can we trust this guy^^^ He's clearly not DJSapp

These things are addictive. When I get in my car now and Android Auto doesn't start up it drives me nuts. I use Google Maps for virtually every trip and usually stream music, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    Rams.
    Nothing says this is going to break down and leave me kicking the dashboard in the worst possible way like a Chrysler product mixed with new tech.

Quote Originally Posted by Not DJSapp View Post
    Good ol' GM. Taking a good thing and making it worse.
    They're consistent, if anything.

And what is with you psychopaths not using Waze as your primary navigational tool? Sure googlemaps is great for searching and other stuff but for actual real time traffic and knowing where cops are and if there's a log on the road, nothing even comes close to Waze.
    I still call it The Jake.

You can buy a mid 2000 car or truck and upgrade the radio.
    Works for me. Fuck all these techno cars that are likely to get bricked and or expensive someday.

My 2007 suburban kicks ass. Simple. Easier to fix. Lost my wife’s second Vw key. Fuck. Dealer wants $170 labor and $250 part to replace it. And that’s just a key. Got another spare key for the suburban at the hardware store for $5. No fob. But it opens doors and starts the car.

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    You can buy a mid 2000 car or truck and upgrade the radio.
    Did this on our 2013 Sienna because holy shit Toyota's old bluetooth system was terrible.

And Android Auto can use either Waze or Gmaps, you just have to set your default navagation software to whichever you like but they're pretty much the same now. Remember Google bought waze in 2013? They've been slowly melding them together and the features are now cross pollenated while others have faded away like the custom voice packs.

I do miss having the Ahhnold voice for waze... "Dhere's a speed trap ahead Get DOWN!"
    Wait, how can we trust this guy^^^ He's clearly not DJSapp

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    like a FIAT product mixed with new tech.
    FIFY

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

People trust Tesla to support legacy vehicles? When they demonstrably do not - see:Roadster.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    These things are addictive. When I get in my car now and Android Auto doesn't start up it drives me nuts. I use Google Maps for virtually every trip and usually stream music, too.
    It is addictive and super nice but I have the corded version in my 18 Alltrack and I need a new cord every two months or it gets pissy and disconnects after a while, then it won't reconnect and it is annoying. Switch cords and works again for a month. Currently trying a high speed 3.1 USB a to c from Amazon because the interweb wizards say that one works great. 10 transfer rate versus 5 on whatever scale. Android says only the slow one needed.

Can't wait to own a bluetooth version. The corded idea has always been flawed. Need to put one in our 2003 4R to replace the ailing factory head but priorities...

All the tech is great when it works but the amount of effort put into keeping it all running always makes me question how worth it it really is.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by subtle plague View Post
    I personally prefer everything Microsoft based because it has the best hatted employees.
    toque quality should be mandatory consumer review criteria

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    It is addictive and super nice but I have the corded version in my 18 Alltrack and I need a new cord every two months or it gets pissy and disconnects after a while, then it won't reconnect and it is annoying. Switch cords and works again for a month.
    Yes, I have a feeling that's the primary issue for me as well. If I try reconnecting the cord a few times it usually works (eventually).

My buddy’s Silverado plays a fucking commercial on the huge screen for the truck that he already bought every time he starts it up. Pretty good way to build brand loyalty i guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    My buddy’s Silverado plays a fucking commercial on the huge screen for the truck that he already bought every time he starts it up. Pretty good way to build brand loyalty i guess.
    I saw that in an article a few months ago when it first came out, I would’ve thought for sure they would’ve disabled that by now. Nothing would send me into fits of rage more than having to sit through an advertisement for a product. I already bought every time I used it.

I have to imagine that’s super helpful too if you’re trying to load a sleeping child into the car and you have a gas pump type advertisement blasting when you turn the key.
    I still call it The Jake.

That Silverado commercial thing has me thinking now. How long before commercials are part of the connected vehicle experience? Maybe they'll allow you to buy an opt out option for a per month fee in addition to paying for your heated seats.