Best smith Wildcat knockoff?

I kinda want to try the huge glasses business. Who comes close to Wildcats for a reasonable price?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Gravity always wins...

I was on a similar quest recently. Ended up with the Tifosi Rail. $80 and comes with 3 lenses. Initial impressions are positive.

X-Tigers are pretty damn good for $20. The lenses are equal to Smith in my experience, frames feel cheap but are durable.

I can also add that I got some rockbros for cheap off of Amazon a little while ago. They're shit, don't bother.

I’ve been happy with my Scott Shield. The Wildcat wasn’t quite wide enough for my face, oddly enough. And I wear M helmets.

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    X-Tigers are pretty damn good for $20. The lenses are equal to Smith in my experience, frames feel cheap but are durable.
    Yep, I have these
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Picked these up during 40% off sale. Still not a bad deal even at msrp.

https://www.blenderseyewear.com/coll...zed-sunglasses
    Montani Semper Liberi

Pit vipers. But you gotta shave racing stripes into sideburns.

swing your fucking sword.

Wildcats are still in stock at The House--50% off with code Take50 (no returns) should bring them to $75
    https://www.the-house.com/sm9wldctmb...ith-sunglasses

I'm gonna guess like 50% chance they actually ship them, but worth a shot if you like the color combo (don't think they are gonna run away with your money if they don't ship or anything...their inventory control is just nonexistent right now).

Ms CE loves her X-Tiger and now her new favorite is a brandless Amazon special that looks a lot like the Wildcat.

She has Smith Bobcats too, but says they are "too small".

I have some Rockbros photochromic ones that are perfectly fine. No, they are not as nice as Smiths, but they literally cost less than 1/10th.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

KAPVOE Photochromic Cycling Glasses for Men Women Mountain Bike Sunglasses Anti-fog Sunglasses for Outdoor https://a.co/d/iNpnXED

I bought a pair of these for touring and have been very impressed. I’ll be very curious to see how the handle biking and lighting changes in and out of trees

These all look worth further pondering….. if I end pulling any trigger’s I’ll report back.

Gravity always wins...

Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    KAPVOE Photochromic Cycling Glasses for Men Women Mountain Bike Sunglasses Anti-fog Sunglasses for Outdoor https://a.co/d/iNpnXED

I bought a pair of these for touring and have been very impressed. I’ll be very curious to see how the handle biking and lighting changes in and out of trees
    A huge second on these! I use them for any day short of full on blizzard. And silly cheap

Reading the writeup on the X tigers is pretty amusing. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7653.JPG 
Views:	110 
Size:	856.1 KB 
ID:	453871

Gravity always wins...

Quote Originally Posted by riff View Post
    Reading the writeup on the X tigers is pretty amusing. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7653.JPG 
Views:	110 
Size:	856.1 KB 
ID:	453871

Gold!

I have the "look ma no hands" and theyre working great. Better qualitu than i thought theyd be. Grippy well fitting arms, good covetage and the lense works most days skiing or biking. I think i might add some "extreme dumpster diving" for when its snowing or the sun is setting. Great deal. I have 4 pairs of their glasses now

https://goodr.com/collections/wrap-g

Sent from my SM-A536W using TGR Forums mobile app

Ms CE is looking for some photochromic lenses that go from some tint to quite dark. It seems that all of the new ones start clear and only go to mid-dark. She loves the lenses on the Julbo Reactiv 0-3, but they aren't large enough to contain her steeze.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Reporting back on these. I'm pleasantly surprised in the lens quality of these. The blue tint is perfect for MTB. A fairly light color and the photocromatic change seems to be very subtle (which I like). Worth the $35 and I'll order a second pair as backup.

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    Ms CE is looking for some photochromic lenses that go from some tint to quite dark. It seems that all of the new ones start clear and only go to mid-dark. She loves the lenses on the Julbo Reactiv 0-3, but they aren't large enough to contain her steeze.
    I believe Julbo is the only brand making lenses like this, at least for cycling/sport sunglasses. The new Density frames should me able to contain most of the steeze. Much larger than previous Julbo frames.

Quote Originally Posted by Iowagriz View Post
    Reporting back on these. I'm pleasantly surprised in the lens quality of these. The blue tint is perfect for MTB. A fairly light color and the photocromatic change seems to be very subtle (which I like). Worth the $35 and I'll order a second pair as backup.
    I have the kapvoes with the sutro-esque shape and i really like them. Fwiw they’re 16-20 bucks on ali express if you don’t mind waiting a few weeks for shipping

Second vote for Pit Vipers.
    I love riding in mine and they make a photochromatic lens now.
    Plus they're by far the coolest, most bad ass sunglasses around.

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    So one guy on Amazon reviews them and shows "proof" in a video that they don't block UV. Is his test method legit?

There are a lot more choices in polarized, than photochromic.

The only application I like polarized for is fishing, and it's been a while since I've done that ;-)

For skiing and such, seeing glare tells me that I'm looking at ice. It's a good thing to know .

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

30% off Blenders sitewide going on now

https://www.blenderseyewear.com
    Montani Semper Liberi

I'm liking the photochromic ("Fototec") version of the Tifosi Sledge: https://tifosioptics.com/products/sl...all-sunglasses

They haven't had a Winter run through yet (just got 'em). My guess is that they'll cover most conditions but won't be quite dark enough for bluebird, snow, above timeline.

When I received them last week, my initial response was: "WTF? These look as if they'll barely cover a cloudy day."

Fortunately, this wasn't the case. I suspect Julbos are the way to go for phorochromic that covers bluebird in the alpine. I'll have to pack my 15 year old Explorers for those days.

Optically, they're very nice (with respect to distortion). They brag about lens decentering.

I'm a real princess and the pea with respect to lens distortion. Cheap lenses make me dizzy. Spending a bit more enforces my taking care of my stuff to keep the cost/year low. My Julbo Explorers must be 15 years old and the lenses are in perfect shape ;-) I cringe when I see how some folks abuse their eyewear

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 07-31-2023 at 06:44 PM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music