Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Atomic Backland XTD 120 - new for 2023 - 24 season

Just to make this easier to search and because the forum search function is somewhat (to put it mildly broken here's detailed pics, descriptions and brain dumps about the new Atomic Backland XTD 120.

ONK (Matt) has some details plus q&a about this in the dedicated Atomic boot thread but that's got a lot of other boots in there (Hawx, Redster etc). Because the Backland XTD is new and there's not much info about it this is an effort to make it searchable and easier to find info and review

I've had less than 8 days on them so far so can't really contribute much more than generalities some of which I've put in 1300g boot thread also but will keep adding stuff here as I'm sure others will.

Here goes
    ONK's notes

• Imagine a Hawx Prime with 74° of better-than-Backland cuff ROM, a 120 flex and a full rubber touring norm sole (or GripWalk if you want).
    • 1390g / 26.5
    • 100mm, medium volume last (based on Hawx Prime)
    • Same cuff height (front & rear) as Hawx Prime
    • New lower shell construction blends an overlap & open-throat construction together for the best of easy on/off and foot wrapping
    • Frictionless “Mirror” Pivots deliver a more free-gliding cuff than Backland (they are symmetrical & parallel in their orientation)
    • New ski/walk mechanism allows for 3 forward lean settings (no flip chips) 13°-15°-17°
    • Available as a touring norm ISO 9523 boot or as GripWalk (it’s not swappable, just made either way)

Name:  Backland XTD.jpg
Views: 2726
Size:  113.6 KB

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230224_125500.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	119.7 KB 
ID:	453718

Backland XTD 120 vs "original" Backland Carbon (remains unchanged).

Backland XTD is heavier (1451g in size 27.5 vs 1146g) but stiffer than the Backland carbon (admittedly subjective 120 vs optimistic 110 flex)

Name:	20230224_155053.jpg 
Views:	274 
Size:	100.8 KB 
ID:	453719
    Tecnica ZeroG Tour Pro 130 (my personal dedicated touring boot) vs Backland XTD. The Backland shell and liner are slightly taller. The Tecnica ZGTP weighs 1326g; Backland XTD 27.5 weighs 1451g. The 26.5 weighs 1382g
    Last edited by LeeLau; 03-30-2023 at 10:07 PM.

More

Name:	20230224_155915.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	91.4 KB 
ID:	453792

Name:	20230224_155813.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	116.9 KB 
ID:	453793

Backland XTD shell in 27.5 weighs 1146g. The 26.5 weighed 1107g. The 27.5 Backland liner is 316g (275g in 26.5)

In a size 26.5 the boot sole length is 297mm. Expect the bsl to change by 10mm in every size increment

Name:	20230224_160531.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	79.4 KB 
ID:	453794

This is a two buckle boot. The upper buckle is a standard micro-adjustable forefoot buckle. The lowers are where it gets interesting where Atomic uses the CROSS LACE 2.5 system on the Backland XTD. This closure system is designed to wraps the complete lower foot using a cable and buckle cinch system.

The goal is get fit, foot and ankle hold by lacing the adjustment system through the lower buckle. One advantage is that it also allows for quick engagement through the one buckle; and no doubt saves weight as well as complexity.

Note that hardware is all fastened with allen bolts. I checked and they had plenty of loctite; something that one shouldn't take for granted (ahem Scarpa )

Name:	20230224_160548_001.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	124.0 KB 
ID:	453795

Closeup of the Atomic "Powershift" forward lean mechanism. Backland XTD comes stock at 15 deg forward lean. Simply loosen the allen bolt to slide the hardware up or down to get to either 13 or 17 deg. Remember to reassemble with lots of loctite. The walk mode is familiar, easy to operate and quite beefy.

Also pictured is the external construction of the "Energy backbone - a reinforced, asymmetric backbone "providing extra strength for powerful skiing plus enhanced lateral energy transmission for better edge grip"

Name:	20230224_160612.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	108.1 KB 
ID:	453796

Note the marvelous low friction IGUS polymer "friction-free" bushings. Combined with the hybrid overlap design which allows for a free floating stride you get a theoretical 74 degrees of stride; very nice for touring

Gripwalk soles are compatible with Gripwalk bindings. You can get the Backland XTD with full rubber touring soles or with Gripwalk soles but you must choose that at point of purchase (can't swap them out)

There are tech fittings of course so you can use this with tech bindings.

Name:	20230224_160640.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	219.5 KB 
ID:	453797

See hardware attaching power straps and also the familiar fabric gaiter design shared with other boots of the Backland family to help prevent snow and moisture ingress. These had a habit of ripping if you weren't careful; or even if you were careful, getting torn over time and with wear.

The Backland XTD uses a hybrid overlap method of construction. This essentially adapts a "touring" open-throat design (think of touring boots with tongues ala Dynafit Vulcan, Dalbello, Raichle etc) combined with more "alpinish" overlap shell construction (think of Atomic Hawx, K2 etc.

Name:  hybridoverlap.JPG
Views: 2524
Size:  191.8 KB

Hybrid overlap allows for decently easy step in and touring (the walk mode isn't encumbered ) but, done well, also lends the performance benefits of overlap shell construction.

Name:	20230224_160713.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	90.1 KB 
ID:	453799

The Backland XTD "3D Platinum Tour" liner is heat-moldable, breathable and washable. It's got more substance and is consequently stiffer, and heavier than the liners in the other Backlands

Also here you see something which lighter boots often don't have; a removeable boot board. That removeable boot board means the Backland XTD can be Memory-Fitted ie the Atomic process of heating the entire shell to get some custom fitting going not just in the liner (which is more familiar) but also in the shell.
    Last edited by LeeLau; 03-30-2023 at 04:43 PM.

For Wilcox. Now gotta go ski! Will add more when I have time

As for skiing performance. Think of it as Vulcan without tongue. Ie not super stiff; not super progressive. But reasonably good and if I hadn't gotten spoiled by the Hawx maybe I'd be more effusive. But walks so well. To me, a reasonable compromise

As for fit; lots of volume in forefoot. midfoot. Not as much of a cavernous space like the totally unanatomical Hojis but definitely not for low vol feet. I used the provided in-box volumizers to take up space and it the liners pack out then probably throw in Intuitions (which have more volume)

Thank you for this post. These look and sound awesome.

Based on what I am reading, these would be compatible with Tectons due to the larger lugs, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by adrian.bee View Post
    Thank you for this post. These look and sound awesome.

Based on what I am reading, these would be compatible with Tectons due to the larger lugs, correct?
    Yes, if it can fit in gripwalk bindings it can fit in tectons.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBC View Post
    Yes, if it can fit in gripwalk bindings it can fit in tectons.
    Correct. And Shifts, Kingpin etc

Are the last set of pics showing up? I uploaded them via forum software but they were viewing at attachments rather than embeds.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Are the last set of pics showing up? I uploaded them via forum software but they were viewing at attachments rather than embeds.
    No - the attachment link shows up but not the pic

How does the flex and skiability compare to the Zero G? Is the Backland XTD a good fit for your foot or are you just making it work?

Also how do you have your Zero Gs set up to weight 1326? Mine are 26.5 with an Intuition Tour Pro MV and come in closer to 1450 with insoles?

Quote Originally Posted by adrian.bee View Post
    No - the attachment link shows up but not the pic
    argh - uploaded and fixed now

Quote Originally Posted by skimeow View Post
    How does the flex and skiability compare to the Zero G? Is the Backland XTD a good fit for your foot or are you just making it work?

Also how do you have your Zero Gs set up to weight 1326? Mine are 26.5 with an Intuition Tour Pro MV and come in closer to 1450 with insoles?
    Quest 1 - flex is about the same. ZGTP feels more progressive. Backland XTD is a bit more brick-wall when hitting the wall. But the Backland isn't as abrupt as the Vulcan with tongues (which, to me, was the epitome of abrupt flex stops),

Backland XTD is immediately a good fit for my typical AZN foot ie wide forefoot, flat feet with almost no arch. Normal ankles and moderate instep.

Name:	20230224_155142.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	99.3 KB 
ID:	453800

My ZGTP with Protour liner; no footbeds. 26.5. Can't really speak to your boot's weight as I didn't do anything special with mine

First (stock???) pic shoes a green accented boot, other images show black/ red. Is that grip walk vs rubber soles?
    Also looks like you’re in 26.5 zgtp but 27.5 Backland xtd- is that by choice for fit reasons or just availability. What did you wear in regular old Backland?
    297 bsl in 26.5 is same as 27.5 old Backland isn’t it?

Since you indicated it walks as well as Backland it must be miles better than xtd/zgtp. For many of us that’ll be a very worthwhile trade off even if it doesn’t ski quite as well.

Quote Originally Posted by dcpnz View Post
    First (stock???) pic shoes a green accented boot, other images show black/ red. Is that grip walk vs rubber soles?
    Also looks like you’re in 26.5 zgtp but 27.5 Backland xtd- is that by choice for fit reasons or just availability. What did you wear in regular old Backland?
    297 bsl in 26.5 is same as 27.5 old Backland isn’t it?

Since you indicated it walks as well as Backland it must be miles better than xtd/zgtp. For many of us that’ll be a very worthwhile trade off even if it doesn’t ski quite as well.
    There's a gripwalk version and a full touring sole version. The stock pic is the full touring sole. The GW version is the pair I grabbed

At first I tried the 27.5 Backland XTD thinking I'd have to size up. Mistake. That's a 307mm bsl and too big for me. I then tried the 26.5 (297mm bsl). Better! I got the Gripwalk version in both as that's all they have for me to use.

It walks (to me I interpret that as strides) as well as older Backland. Speaking to other boots I've owned it strides as well as TLT5; or F1 (other boots that stride well). It also strides better than Hoji Pro which despite the #pantsalwaysdown BS I found only toured well if you loosened the mid foot instep buckle.

So yeah it's a lot better than Hawx XTD or ZGTP (my current boots).

Edit - my boot size

TLT5 27.5
    Vulcan 27.5
    Maestrale 27
    Tecnica Cochise 26.5
    ZGTP 26.5
    Hawx v1 and v2 26.5
    Dalbello Lupo 26.5
    Hoji Pro tour 26.5

^^
    Love the TLT5 references. After all these years that’s still the boot I’m trying to find something to replace. Tried several (not as many as you of course) - heavier that ski well / walk worse, lighter that walk better / ski worse but none that FOR ME provide a better balance and I’m hopeful this is it cos I don’t think I can eek much more out of my pair

Quote Originally Posted by dcpnz View Post
    ^^
    Love the TLT5 references. After all these years that’s still the boot I’m trying to find something to replace. Tried several (not as many as you of course) - heavier that ski well / walk worse, lighter that walk better / ski worse but none that FOR ME provide a better balance and I’m hopeful this is it cos I don’t think I can eek much more out of my pair
    My TLT5s blew up after 100+ days. They were fragile but ahead of their time. It did cure me of being too weight weenie with gear (why I have F1 and not F1 LT) as the breakage could have been bad.

That Backland XTD in 26.5 with an Intuition is a bit under 1360g for me. Which isn't bad at all
    Last edited by LeeLau; 01-15-2024 at 09:26 PM.

Is the one you’re testing the carbon version? Or is that the one with the green instead of red?

Quote Originally Posted by wilcox510 View Post
    Is the one you’re testing the carbon version? Or is that the one with the green instead of red?
    Carbon

Paging ONK or someone else who has any ideas.... Can you explain the idea behind the "hybrid overlap". To me it just looks like less plastic in the throat compared to the touring shell posted below that would lead to a less stiff boot?

It walks (to me I interpret that as strides) as well as older Backland. Speaking to other boots I've owned it strides as well as TLT5; or F1 (other boots that stride well). It also strides better than Hoji Pro which despite the #pantsalwaysdown BS I found only toured well if you loosened the mid foot instep buckle.

So yeah it's a lot better than Hawx XTD or ZGTP (my current boots).
    So comparing to the Vulcan: it strides better than the Vulcan (without a tongue) and skis like a Vulcan without a tongue? Or does it ski better than the Vulcan without a tongue?

Any comparisons to the Skorpius, which I felt strides better than the Vulcan without a tongue and skied about the same, maybe a little better than, the Vulcan without the tongue. (Caveat being I never could get the Skorpius to fit quite right.)

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    So comparing to the Vulcan: it strides better than the Vulcan (without a tongue) and skis like a Vulcan without a tongue? Or does it ski better than the Vulcan without a tongue?

Any comparisons to the Skorpius, which I felt strides better than the Vulcan without a tongue and skied about the same, maybe a little better than, the Vulcan without the tongue. (Caveat being I never could get the Skorpius to fit quite right.)
    Haven't tried Skorpius. On a range from best to worse. Let's max out ROM by unbuclking

F1, Backland XTD tied
    Vulcan (no tongue), Hoji
    ZGTP
    HAWX xtd, Vulcan (w tongue)
    Maestrale

Vulcan ( with and without tongue) had issues in chop and variable snow where, if you'd get abrupt stops or lurch forward it'd feel like it hit a brick wall. Haven't had Backland out in that kind of snow yet so can't really say. But will add impressions if I do

What a great thread. How is the foot last vs the Hawx XTD? I know the Backland XTD is based on the Prime last. Does that translate to roomier fit in your experience? Does your intuition liner compensate for that?

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by abcdethan View Post
    What a great thread. How is the foot last vs the Hawx XTD? I know the Backland XTD is based on the Prime last. Does that translate to roomier fit in your experience? Does your intuition liner compensate for that?

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    Quite a bit more volume. 100mm theoretical Backland XTD vs 98mm Hawx v1 and v2

Backland has more forefoot, a little more instep and about the same heel and ankle.

Caveat is Hawx v2 feels a bit more wide at forefoot vs V1 Hawx. I can't figure out why

Bottom line is Backland XTD works well for Azn feet ( collapsed arch, wide forefoot, generic average ankle).

Intuition Protour def takes up more volume. Not sure I need it yet

Haven't tried Skorpius. On a range from best to worse. Let's max out ROM by unbuclking

F1, Backland XTD tied
    Vulcan (no tongue), Hoji
    ZGTP
    HAWX xtd, Vulcan (w tongue)
    Maestrale

Vulcan ( with and without tongue) had issues in chop and variable snow where, if you'd get abrupt stops or lurch forward it'd feel like it hit a brick wall. Haven't had Backland out in that kind of snow yet so can't really say. But will add impressions if I do
    Lee can you do this ranking for downhill capabilities?

Yay for tall cuff
    Boo for prime volume.

Really cool boot. If it would come in a ultra fit we could finally have the replacement for the vulcan/mercury.

Quote Originally Posted by concierge View Post
    Paging ONK or someone else who has any ideas.... Can you explain the idea behind the "hybrid overlap". To me it just looks like less plastic in the throat compared to the touring shell posted below that would lead to a less stiff boot?
    A traditional open-throat shell construction (like our regular Backland series of boots) allows for super easy step in and great cuff ROM but doesn't allow for great wrapping around the foot. A traditional overlap shell construction (like our Hawx Ultra/Prime XTDs) allows for great wrapping & power transfer, but at the cost of easy step in and cuff ROM. To lessen the disparity between the two, we created the Hybrid Overlap which is an open-throat construction where it matters (for ease of step in and great cuff ROM) and offers way better wrapping in the forefoot.

We've got to remember that all shell constructions are going to bring compromises to the table- there isn't a compromise-free ski boot (especially a touring boot). As a pure touring boot, we wanted to keep (improve actually) on the cuff ROM, improve wrapping in the forefoot, and ski far better than Backland Carbon. It isn't going to ski as well as a Hawx Prime XTD, but it's impressively close, and at the same time it's going feel more "sneaker like" than regular Backland. How we have positioned/oriented the Frictionless Pivot hardware allows for more efficient cuff ROM than regular Backland. Backland XTD is heavier than regular Backland so I can't say it unequivocally tours better than regular Backland, but in terms of cuff mobility the new Backland XTD is better than regular Backland.

Quote Originally Posted by concierge View Post
    Lee can you do this ranking for downhill capabilities?
    Pls don't hold me to this as its based on limited skiing. Still less than 10 days each for both Atomic boots

DH ability from better on down

Hawx XTD v2

Hawx XTD v1

Tecnica ZGTP

Vulcan (tongue), Backland XTD, Hoji Tour

Vulcan (no tongue)

F1, Maestrale

Asking for K2 Mindbender BOA to add for data per GoldenBCs suggestion