Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by onenerdykid View Post
    A traditional open-throat shell construction (like our regular Backland series of boots) allows for super easy step in and great cuff ROM but doesn't allow for great wrapping around the foot. A traditional overlap shell construction (like our Hawx Ultra/Prime XTDs) allows for great wrapping & power transfer, but at the cost of easy step in and cuff ROM. To lessen the disparity between the two, we created the Hybrid Overlap which is an open-throat construction where it matters (for ease of step in and great cuff ROM) and offers way better wrapping in the forefoot.

We've got to remember that all shell constructions are going to bring compromises to the table- there isn't a compromise-free ski boot (especially a touring boot). As a pure touring boot, we wanted to keep (improve actually) on the cuff ROM, improve wrapping in the forefoot, and ski far better than Backland Carbon. It isn't going to ski as well as a Hawx Prime XTD, but it's impressively close, and at the same time it's going feel more "sneaker like" than regular Backland. How we have positioned/oriented the Frictionless Pivot hardware allows for more efficient cuff ROM than regular Backland. Backland XTD is heavier than regular Backland so I can't say it unequivocally tours better than regular Backland, but in terms of cuff mobility the new Backland XTD is better than regular Backland.
    Thars really rad nerdyness.I really want these. I will probably need GFT. Wink twice if an ultra is coming. Also, will they come in clear? I paid attention, I refuse to buy any boot that is not clear.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post

Attachment 453719
    Tecnica ZeroG Tour Pro 130 (my personal dedicated touring boot) vs Backland XTD. The Backland shell and liner are slightly taller. The Tecnica ZGTP weighs 1326g; Backland XTD 27.5 weighs 1451g. The 26.5 weighs 1382g
    Ok, so the main differences between this and the ZGTP

Atomic has:

Better ROM
    Better custom fitting options
    Beefier liner
    A little more weight
    A little taller cuff
    A bit less progressive flex…

Which one is stiffer?
    Or maybe the better question - which one appears to have the performance advantage on the descent?

Thanks Lee - great thread
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

Any idea when these will be for sale? I am limping a pair of much repaired Maestrales until I can replace, and I'd like to hold out for these.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Any idea when these will be for sale? I am limping a pair of much repaired Maestrales until I can replace, and I'd like to hold out for these.
    Late summer, early fall - depends on when your local retailer specified a ship date.

https://www.skiwest.ca/atomic-backla...-120-2024.html
    Price in CAD

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by onenerdykid View Post
    Late summer, early fall - depends on when your local retailer specified a ship date.
    Copy, thanks. And per the post below, some retailers have them now? I know they don't sell on Atomic.com, but when do they show up there?

[QUOTE=zion zig zag;6843059]Copy, thanks. And per the post below, some retailers have them now? I know they don't sell on Atomic.com, but when do they show up there?[/QUOT

Some retailers want product in normal delivery cycles, some want it super early. We generally don't do full-on Q1 product launches to North American retailers, so any retailers that got it early only have it in 2 or 3 sizes and super minimal quantities. And I unfortunately have no idea which ones did.

23/24 collection won't go live on our website until September (ish).

[QUOTE=onenerdykid;6843111]
    Copy, thanks. And per the post below, some retailers have them now? I know they don't sell on Atomic.com, but when do they show up there?[/QUOT

Some retailers want product in normal delivery cycles, some want it super early. We generally don't do full-on Q1 product launches to North American retailers, so any retailers that got it early only have it in 2 or 3 sizes and super minimal quantities. And I unfortunately have no idea which ones did.

23/24 collection won't go live on our website until September (ish).
    Great, thanks again for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by SupreChicken View Post
    Ok, so the main differences between this and the ZGTP

Atomic has:

Better ROM
    Better custom fitting options
    Beefier liner
    A little more weight
    A little taller cuff
    A bit less progressive flex…

Which one is stiffer?
    Or maybe the better question - which one appears to have the performance advantage on the descent?

Thanks Lee - great thread
    Not a really fair test because my ZGTP 130s are so clapped out that they've probably dropped 10 - 20 points of stiffness. I did however take my ZGTP 120 Scouts out also.

Skied Backland XTDs with Intuition LV liners and the stock liners now 12 days. If you were to put a gun to my head the ZGTP Scout 120s are just a hair stiffer; definitely more progressive.

Am more reinforced that the Backland XTDs feel like my Vulcans; ie they hit the wall when you bottom out. Yet they're plenty stiff especially on the lateral ski hits and stiff *enough* on the fore-aft hits. But so so sweet touring especially with if you have that long stride.

One more thought re fit. I'm more convinced now that the Backland XTD fits like a 102mm last. Usually my super wide forefeet need bootwork/punching/stretching to fit even a 100mm and especially a 98mm last. Not with the Backland XTD.

I also think the Backland XTD is a medium volume fit. Using a LV Intuition liner I need foam footbeds/volumizers to take up space. Using a MV Intuition liner I don't.

Hope this stream of consciousness helps

Definitely, thank you.

Not a really fair test because my ZGTP 130s are so clapped out that they've probably dropped 10 - 20 points of stiffness. I did however take my ZGTP 120 Scouts out also.

Skied Backland XTDs with Intuition LV liners and the stock liners now 12 days. If you were to put a gun to my head the ZGTP Scout 120s are just a hair stiffer; definitely more progressive.

Am more reinforced that the Backland XTDs feel like my Vulcans; ie they hit the wall when you bottom out. Yet they're plenty stiff especially on the lateral ski hits and stiff *enough* on the fore-aft hits. But so so sweet touring especially with if you have that long stride.

One more thought re fit. I'm more convinced now that the Backland XTD fits like a 102mm last. Usually my super wide forefeet need bootwork/punching/stretching to fit even a 100mm and especially a 98mm last. Not with the Backland XTD.

I also think the Backland XTD is a medium volume fit. Using a LV Intuition liner I need foam footbeds/volumizers to take up space. Using a MV Intuition liner I don't.

It helps immensely. Thank you.

Would you drive a 115mm plus waisted touring weight ski with them? I never had any trouble doing that with the ZGTP. Bent chet 120, wildcat tour, deathwish tour, no problem.

Trust this boot to drive those bad boys?
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

Quote Originally Posted by SupreChicken View Post
    It helps immensely. Thank you.

Would you drive a 115mm plus waisted touring weight ski with them? I never had any trouble doing that with the ZGTP. Bent chet 120, wildcat tour, deathwish tour, no problem.

Trust this boot to drive those bad boys?
    I haven't tried yet. I should and will give it a shot sometime. So far I've driven 106mm skis (Salomon QST 106 Echo) which feels fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Robik View Post
    https://www.skiwest.ca/atomic-backla...-120-2024.html
    Price in CAD

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk
    Man, I wish I had purchased these in 26 before they sold out. I was on a hut trip with limited connectivity and didn’t think it wise to pull the trigger at the time.

Anyone know where else these can be found? There’s lots of skiing left this spring/summer!

Anyone try the "world cup" procedure of putting on lace up liners first and then slipping the whole assembly into the shells? Just playing around in the shop with similar boots with the fabric gaiter design, it's been such a huge pain in the ass.

I'm currently touring on salomon MTN Labs (S/Lab MTN) and intuition Tour Wraps. No fabric gaiters to fiddle with, so slipping liners in and out is a 1 second process. No complaints on the down, but for the up, am jealously coveting the eye popping ROM and shell weights that all the new models like this Backland XTD are advertising.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by sierra_cement View Post
    Anyone try the "world cup" procedure of putting on lace up liners first and then slipping the whole assembly into the shells? Just playing around in the shop with similar boots with the fabric gaiter design, it's been such a huge pain in the ass.

I'm currently touring on salomon MTN Labs (S/Lab MTN) and intuition Tour Wraps. No fabric gaiters to fiddle with, so slipping liners in and out is a 1 second process. No complaints on the down, but for the up, am jealously coveting the eye popping ROM and shell weights that all the new models like this Backland XTD are advertising.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
    With Backland XTD, you will want to put the liner in the shell then step in. The water sealing/gaiter goes all round the leg, which is awesome for keeping snow/water out and ensuring lots of ROM. If you step in racer-style, there's a good chance that you pull it down into the shell and create more headaches.

Atomic Backland XTD 120 - new for 2023 - 24 season

Sounds like there’s improvements to the cuff and pivots of Backland XTD that make it walk as well or better than the regular Backland. In that case have or will those changes filter down to the Backland or is it staying unchanged with the only advantage now being lighter weight?
    Last edited by dcpnz; 04-17-2023 at 12:50 PM.

I ordered a 27.5 from skiwest. Sometime after I ordered, they updated the pics on the website to be the black/red gripwalk boot, and that is what showed up. I want these as a pure touring boot, so I'll send them back and be patient for the rubber sole model to show up locally. But anyway, here are a few observations from a random guy to add to those from the esteemed gentlemen above.

TL;DR: goldilocks boot that fits like an atomic and slots in between the hawx and backland (duh).

I have a medium-wide forefoot, medium instep, skinny heel and ankle. Most boots give me heel slippage, most narrow last boots give me forefoot width problems. Current boots are backland carbon (boa model) and hawx prime xtd 130, both in 27.5. No work or memoryfit molds on either boot, intuition luxury in the hawx. I should probably be in an ultra instead of prime, but whatever, the liner solved my heel lift. Curiously, the nominally 98mm last backland carbon does not give me width issues. I had the previous carbon (orange tongues) and needed to bake that shell.

Not a surprise since I apparently have an Atomic foot, but Backland XTD fits me great, I don't think I'd need any work. Heel hold might be a slight issue, so I tested a tour wrap liner in there. It matches stock liner volume and feels good enough in its incorrectly-molded state, so I'll plan to run it with that liner. I don't think this boot fits as high-volume as the prime hawx but I don't completely trust my judgement on that, especially in the comfort of my home.

I wanted a boot right in between the two I have, and this backland XTD seems to nail it. Almost all of my touring is on a deathwish tour and the current backland leaves me feeling a little under-gunned in bad snow. I dislike walking in the hawx after being spoiled by the backland ROM. New boot feels significantly more substantial than the backland and carpet ROM is as advertised. I'm not calibrated to evaluate carpet flex pattern, but nothing jumps out as weird to me.

Other notes:
    - gaiter design is friendlier than previous backland. It's easier to get my feet in and out, and seems like it'll play better with non-stock liners (stock backland liners had velcro or magnets to hold the gaiter). There are velcro patches on this liner to fasten the gaiter, one in front, one in back, but they seem less necessary than the old style.
    - instep buckle seems like it can be cranked way down. It's in the middle of 3 possible ladder positions and I'm barely able to use the loosest rung of the ladder
    - instep buckle design allows you to clip it in backwards for a looser-but-not-unbuckled mode. I'm not sure if that is intentional, but it's nice for uphill in the situation where I'm maxing out the ladder but don't want to move its position. Now that I wrote it out, that's kind of a dumb situation, but still a cool buckle!
    - GW model has a velcro strap, which is weird to me. Atomic's cam straps are dialed on my other boots and velcro straps that expose the hook side when loosened are annoying.

Overall I'm stoked on this boot, it's the right class for nearly all of my touring and the fit is just what I need

Good info! Anyone with a Blister membership want to share what they had to say on their recent members on review?

https://blisterreview.com/flash-revi...xtd-carbon-120

Quote Originally Posted by caulfield View Post
    I ordered a 27.5 from skiwest. Sometime after I ordered, they updated the pics on the website to be the black/red gripwalk boot, and that is what showed up. I want these as a pure touring boot, so I'll send them back and be patient for the rubber sole model to show up locally.
    Oh man, this makes me feel a lot better about not ordering a pair from skiwest. I definitely want the touring sole not the gripwalk sole, and returning the boots would have been a hassle for sure.

At the risk of exposing what a jong I am, if I plan on using these boots exclusively in pin bindings or maybe occasionally Shifts (the horror!), what would be the disadvantage of getting the version with the gripwalk sole?

Quote Originally Posted by djhutch View Post
    At the risk of exposing what a jong I am, if I plan on using these boots exclusively in pin bindings or maybe occasionally Shifts (the horror!), what would be the disadvantage of getting the version with the gripwalk sole?
    The plastic on the GripWalk sole sucks for scrambling or booting on any kind of rocks and is generally more slick than a full rubber sole. Obviously this doesn’t apply if you have crampons on. GW soles are usually also flatter (less rockered), so you lose some efficiency and natural movement when walking on hard ground.

A comment was made earlier that it would have been nice if the non-GW touring sole was a bit shorter (and exclusive for pin bindings) so the stride was more natural with the pins closer to the ball of foot. But since that’s not the case, I don’t think you’ll notice a big difference in stride efficiency between the two when skinning.

So if you just “normal” ski tour without much scrambling or walking on hard ground, I doubt you could tell a difference with the GW sole. If you hike in them with skis on back or booting with rocky sections, the full rubber is probably the way to go.

Atomic Backland XTD 120 - new for 2023 - 24 season

^^^^
    I would agree with the above - indifferent for most touring applications, rubber sole better for walking/booting/scrambling situations
    But I’d also add that I might prefer Grip-walk if I were using them in shifts a lot - I know rubber soles are fine in MNC bindings but IMHO grip-walk is a better more solid interface

Main reason for choosing grip walk would be compatibility with a whole range of other alpine bindings if you wanted to use them in that capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by dcpnz View Post
    ^^^^
    I would agree with the above - indifferent for most touring applications, rubber sole better for walking/booting/scrambling situations
    But I’d also add that I might prefer Grip-walk if I were using them in shifts a lot - I know rubber soles are fine in MNC bindings but IMHO grip-walk is a better more solid interface

Main reason for choosing grip walk would be compatibility with a whole range of other alpine bindings if you wanted to use them in that capacity.
    Yep, I was assuming the “pins only” scenario. You are 100% correct that if you want to run anything but a pin binding, the GW sole makes sense.

That said, I would definitely consider whether you want to run this light of a boot in anything but a pin binding. The Hawx XTD or any number of other boots are much better suited for that.

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    Yep, I was assuming the “pins only” scenario. You are 100% correct that if you want to run anything but a pin binding, the GW sole makes sense.

That said, I would definitely consider whether you want to run this light of a boot in anything but a pin binding. The Hawx XTD or any number of other boots are much better suited for that.

Agreed. Making a Gripwalk version of this boot is a bizarre choice to me. They would have made a lot more people happy if they made a low volume (Ultra) fit version of it than a Gripwalk version of it. Granted, I haven't seen the boot in person, but this is a touring focused boot. The people who want a Gripwalk boot are much more likely to be in the Hawx.

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    Oh man, this makes me feel a lot better about not ordering a pair from skiwest. I definitely want the touring sole not the gripwalk sole, and returning the boots would have been a hassle for sure.
    slight hassle yea, but skiwest made it pretty easy--they emailed me a return label and refunded me for the original shipping charge. Would buy from them again