Check Out Our Shop
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Results 101 to 125 of 153
  1. #101
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Sun Valley, ID
    Posts
    2,556
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    35 day report.

    Cuff pivots have play. Am going to extract, take a look and put in washers to take out play.

    Liners are packed out. Replaced with MV Intuition Double Density tours. Boots are now 98g lighter, yet seem more stiff

    Attachment 487759Attachment 487760Attachment 487761
    Wait. Pivot play after 35 days? That seems like a warranty issue. Or a design fault.

  2. #102
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    North Vancouver/Whistler
    Posts
    14,050
    Quote Originally Posted by CaliBrit View Post
    Wait. Pivot play after 35 days? That seems like a warranty issue. Or a design fault.
    https://youtu.be/D8H2m28AmhA?si=RZkv-vpasKLuGQA1

    Here goes. Haven't had time to attempt a fix

  3. #103
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    6,178
    That's less than ideal...ONK to the telephone please.

    Hopefully it's a one-off issue...
    For Sale:


    If you're in the Northeast and would like to borrow some Jigarex Plates I have:

    Rossi/Look plates
    Salomon Warden 13 plates
    Marker Kingpin Plates

  4. #104
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    35 day report.

    Cuff pivots have play. Am going to extract, take a look and put in washers to take out play.

    Liners are packed out. Replaced with MV Intuition Double Density tours. Boots are now 98g lighter, yet seem more stiff

    Attachment 487759Attachment 487760Attachment 487761
    Curious on how the new pro tour fits compared to the stock liner? Have a few days on mine with the stock liners and like many others am looking to take up some space in the heel and ankle. The new pro tour looks great, but also wondering if I should just get a GFT.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  5. #105
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Summit Park UT
    Posts
    1,102
    I was hoping they were going to release an Ultra fit version of these next year, but apparently not?

  6. #106
    Join Date
    Nov 2021
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by wilcox510 View Post
    I was hoping they were going to release an Ultra fit version of these next year, but apparently not?
    I was thinking the same. But apparently not gonna happen.

  7. #107
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    West Side WA
    Posts
    498
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    35 day report.

    Cuff pivots have play. Am going to extract, take a look and put in washers to take out play.

    Liners are packed out. Replaced with MV Intuition Double Density tours. Boots are now 98g lighter, yet seem more stiff
    You've pinpointed exactly my issues with Backland Carbon: cuff pivots get sloppy FAST and liners pack out/fall apart at about the same rate. Maybe 10 long days/60k vert for me....

  8. #108
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    North Vancouver/Whistler
    Posts
    14,050
    Quote Originally Posted by tomo View Post
    Curious on how the new pro tour fits compared to the stock liner? Have a few days on mine with the stock liners and like many others am looking to take up some space in the heel and ankle. The new pro tour looks great, but also wondering if I should just get a GFT.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    The stock liner is lower volume than the MV ProTour. The Intuition should take up space

  9. #109
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Ogden
    Posts
    9,212
    I have a pair of these in 26.5 I am selling. Just the wrong size and wrong fit for me according to a bootfitter. They have a couple of short days on them and are essentially brand new. $350 plus ship? I’m not seeing any discounts right now in that size. I could probably deliver anywhere between SLC and Driggs.

  10. #110
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Sun Valley, ID
    Posts
    2,556
    Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    I have a pair of these in 26.5 I am selling. Just the wrong size and wrong fit for me according to a bootfitter. They have a couple of short days on them and are essentially brand new. $350 plus ship? I’m not seeing any discounts right now in that size. I could probably deliver anywhere between SLC and Driggs.
    Pm.

  11. #111
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Golden
    Posts
    1,030
    Has anyone tried the Chris Rubens mod of using a vulcan tongue on their backland xtd?

  12. #112
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    760
    For those who have significant days on these now - how’s the gaiter holding up? I just got a pair and they fit great, but I had way too much room in the heel with the stock liners. I was able to get my GFTs in by doing the WC method, which worked fine with a little fiddling (and locked the heel down beautifully), but I’m worried that doing this every time I wear them might eventually damage the gaiter. No way I can leave the GFTs in the boots - it’s impossible to get my feet in them that way, even if I remove the laces from the GFTs.

    For folks who might be wondering - the GFT added about 200g (size 25) but didn’t have a significant negative impact on the walkability, which was still outstanding. Coming from hawx xtds the increased ROM feels wild.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  13. #113
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    North Vancouver/Whistler
    Posts
    14,050
    Gaiter is holding up fine. I've been using the stock liner and putting my foot into the liner while its in the boot fwiw

  14. #114
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Golden
    Posts
    1,030
    Waxloaf, have you added cork to your GFT? What boot did you have before and did you notice it change the ROM in them?

  15. #115
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    760
    Thanks Lee - I think I’ll stick with world cupping the GFT and hope for the best.

    Golden - i got my GFTs used on here and I think the prior owner put about a tube into each tongue. Couldn’t swear to that though. Previously in Hawx Prime XTD 130s and didn’t notice the GFT affecting ROM in those. Too be clear on my original post, I think the GFT makes walking in the Backland XTD a touch less efficient, but it isn’t significant. The increase in heel hold OTOH is massive for me, so I’m hoping the increase in skiing performance and comfort that I get from that will outweigh the negatives from using the GFT.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  16. #116
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Fairhaven
    Posts
    260
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBC View Post
    Has anyone tried the Chris Rubens mod of using a vulcan tongue on their backland xtd?
    I slipped an original Backland Carbon tongue in behind the buckles and carpet flexed it but haven't tried skiing it. It gave me a bad pressure point on one of my shins but that's probably fixable.

  17. #117
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Sun Valley, ID
    Posts
    2,556
    Anyone have liner mold instructions for these in a home oven?

  18. #118
    Join Date
    Feb 2024
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    https://youtu.be/D8H2m28AmhA?si=RZkv-vpasKLuGQA1

    Here goes. Haven't had time to attempt a fix
    Any chance you've had a go at fixing this? Wondering if I should try on my Hawx XTD's that are developing the same issue.

  19. #119
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    North Vancouver/Whistler
    Posts
    14,050
    Quote Originally Posted by slowandsteady View Post
    Any chance you've had a go at fixing this? Wondering if I should try on my Hawx XTD's that are developing the same issue.
    Fixed with cut up aluminum as shims. Took out the play. Haven't heard back yet re a formal fix

  20. #120
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Denial
    Posts
    2,582
    Just checked mine after a particularly squeaky tour. I am developing play as well, currently about half as much as Lees, but I assume the wear accelerates as it gets worse.

    Mind positng a photo of your fix Lee?

    I don't ski these boots particularly hard, or often. I would guess less than 20 days.
    The whole human race is de evolving; it is due to birth control, smart people use birth control, and stupid people keep pooping out more stupid babies.

  21. #121
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Kaprun, Austria
    Posts
    421
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Fixed with cut up aluminum as shims. Took out the play. Haven't heard back yet re a formal fix
    Hi TGR land, I've been in contact with Lee about his experience and we're trying to figure out what/how this is happening. These are the same Igus bushings we have used since 2015, and the same set is in every Backland, Backland XTD, and Hawx XTD boot since we launched them.

    These Igus bushings are designed to be replaceable should they wear out, as opposed to standard cuff rivets which are not replaceable. As with anything that can develop play, it is best to replace the set when you notice it. The more play that develops can eventually lead to warping mounting point on the shell and then it will be too late, you'll always have play even with a fresh set. Think of it like a headset in a bike's head tube - if you ovalize the head tube, then a headset will never fit properly.

    If play is starting to develop, check the screw tightness (get it tight, but no need to crank the sh*t out of it; 7Nm should do it). If there is still play, then it's time for a fresh set.

    Frictionless Pivot Set - AZE001164
    Name:  Frictionless Pivot AZE001164.jpg
Views: 629
Size:  56.1 KB

  22. #122
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    West Side WA
    Posts
    498
    Glad to hear you are looking into this issue. I found it super difficult to remove the bushings on my 1st pair of backlands (I am no mechanic ace though). Mine must have been ovalized because new bushings did nothing. With my second pair play developed very fast. I am a tall guy who flexes my boots with every turn enough that the shell bellows out a little bit. This wear is the main reason I haven't bought another pair of atomic touring boots, so I'd love to see an upgrade to the pivot system. Otherwise I really like the brand's equipment.

  23. #123
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    North Vancouver/Whistler
    Posts
    14,050
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukonrider View Post
    Just checked mine after a particularly squeaky tour. I am developing play as well, currently about half as much as Lees, but I assume the wear accelerates as it gets worse.

    Mind positng a photo of your fix Lee?

    I don't ski these boots particularly hard, or often. I would guess less than 20 days.
    Needs torx wrench and 15mm socket. They're on loctited well so be patient and precise. Cut up pop can shim to take out the play.

    Skied one day on them so far since this ghetto "fix". ONK is sending new bushings. In the meantime I've been skiing the new Tecnica ZGTP so no meaningful input on longevity of pop can fix.

    I'll finish up the review disclosing my anecdotal experience with respect to boot wear. Will also install the bushings fix and see if they hold up long term Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20240223_165506.jpeg 
Views:	89 
Size:	65.0 KB 
ID:	490414Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20240223_173051.jpeg 
Views:	92 
Size:	80.6 KB 
ID:	490415Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20240223_175119.jpeg 
Views:	96 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	490416Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bushingfix02-20240223_165559.jpeg 
Views:	112 
Size:	93.8 KB 
ID:	490417

  24. #124
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    North Vancouver/Whistler
    Posts
    14,050
    Boot play is back. The pop can shims lasted 3 ski days

  25. #125
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    North Vancouver/Whistler
    Posts
    14,050
    Had a slushy spring ski day. Liners and socks were soaked. Anyone else had issue with water ingress past the gaiter?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •