Check Out Our Shop
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by abcdethan View Post
    How does the ZGTP walk compared to the Atomic Hawx XTD in terms of range and friction? I had the 2020 Hawx previously to compare.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    The ZGTP walks better (comparing 2018 boots) both with Intuition ProTour liners. The difference isn't huge but more apparent on flat approaches. The upside of the ZGTP for me and my fitment is that I barely had to do anything with buckles to get full tour range other than to undo the 3rd buckle fully and flip open the other buckles. For HAWX XTD to get full tour range I had to undo all buckles and power strap to get full range. For both I also had to go into walk mode obviously

Of course the tourability of the Backland XTD is far better than both ZGTP and Hawx XTD and all I do there is flip open the middle buckle and go into walk mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    Intuition liners will likely walk noticeably worse than ZGTP stock liners, but they will ski better. The B XTD liner is a work of art, combining support and ROM better than any touring liner probably ever.
    Trying the ProTour and Luxury liner I haven't noticed a difference fwiw. Having said that the stock Backland XTD has been fine. That's been a nice and welcome surprise

Edit. Haven't had them out in very cold temps yet to assess differences

How big of skis are people pushing with these? I'm 175, 5'10. Debating whether they can push a Meridian Tour in 181cm. Skis are 1750g and 107 underfoot

Quote Originally Posted by akgnar View Post
    How big of skis are people pushing with these? I'm 175, 5'10. Debating whether they can push a Meridian Tour in 181cm. Skis are 1750g and 107 underfoot
    I’m 5’11 and 170 and plan on using them with my v-werks Katana’s. I’ll update after I try them. Hopefully soon.

Skied 184 Billygoats. No problem

When you say flip flop the straps to get them to hold higher up your foot what did you do?
    Look carefully at your booots and the pics will make sense.
    Basically removed the arch strap from the R boot and put it on the L boot. Then rotated the wire end holder so it didn't interfere with closure.
    For me it moved the arch strap up high enough to give my high arches some relief. YMMV, but easy to put back so worth a try.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20231224_095611.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	848.8 KB 
ID:	480530

Name:	20231224_095558.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	798.0 KB 
ID:	480531
    The whole human race is de evolving; it is due to birth control, smart people use birth control, and stupid people keep pooping out more stupid babies.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukonrider View Post
    Look carefully at your booots and the pics will make sense.
    Basically removed the arch strap from the R boot and put it on the L boot. Then rotated the wire end holder so it didn't interfere with closure.
    For me it moved the arch strap up high enough to give my high arches some relief. YMMV, but easy to put back so worth a try.

Name:	20231224_095611.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	848.8 KB 
ID:	480530

Name:	20231224_095558.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	798.0 KB 
ID:	480531
    Awesome thanks!

Finally got a couple days in on these. Touring performance aside, they ski really, really well. I was pleasantly surprised and delighted by the support, even for a heavy guy (210) they felt responsive and stiff through scalloped, gross, dust on rain crust. Honestly think they ski better than XT130s.

Seriously considering bringing just these on a road trip up interior BC which will be 70/30 resort/touring. Am I crazy for that?

Quote Originally Posted by adrian.bee View Post
    Finally got a couple days in on these. Touring performance aside, they ski really, really well. I was pleasantly surprised and delighted by the support, even for a heavy guy (210) they felt responsive and stiff through scalloped, gross, dust on rain crust. Honestly think they ski better than XT130s.

Seriously considering bringing just these on a road trip up interior BC which will be 70/30 resort/touring. Am I crazy for that?
    I've now had 18 days on the Backland XTDs and skied heavyish Foon Tyfoons with them with some inbounda on different ski setups . This isn't really a lot yet to truthfully assess wear so take this fwiw.

However because I wanted to finalize the review I pulled cuff hardware out to see if there was play or wear and there wasn't. Same with the walk mode.

Keep in mind I'm 78kg therefore pretty light. I'd take a chance but don't ski like a gorilla??

but what if I am gorilla?

Jokes aside, that is good news they've held up well on alpine setups. I've been skiing them in tectons on agent 3.0s which are right around 1750g so not a superlight setup. I don't think I'd want to try to drive a sender w/ Pivots but I might be able to get away with one pair of skis and boots on this trip which sounds awesome to me.

Has anyone tried chucking an Intuition liner in the Backland XTD? Tried boot w/ stock liner in a shop and it felt roomy with that Prime last, though walking is amazing. I prefer the Ultra fit, am wondering if a MV Pro Tour liner might take up more volume and make it workable...
    Last edited by rjenz; 01-15-2024 at 03:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rjenz View Post
    Has anyone tried chucking an Intuition liner in the Backland XTD? Tried one in a shop and it felt roomy with that Prime last, though walking is amazing. I prefer the Ultra fit, am wondering if a MV Pro Tour liner might make it workable...
    I tossed a Protour liner in the Backland XTD 120 - sized 26 and used probably 50days. It seemed fine and loses approx 45g (edit pro-tour no laces), But so far the Atomic liner has been good. Warm, comfortable and hasn't packed out but if it did after just 18 days I'd have been surprised.
    Last edited by LeeLau; 01-15-2024 at 02:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    I tossed a Protour liner in the Backland XTD 120 - sized 26 and used probably 50days. It seemed fine and loses approx 45g (edit pro-tour no laces), But so far the Atomic liner has been good. Warm, comfortable and hasn't packed out but if it did after just 18 days I'd have been surprised.
    Nice, 26 protour in a 26.5 shell? Did the protour seem to take up more volume than the stock Atomic liner, or pretty same-same?

I think I posted it earlier in this thread, but I had a gripwalk model at my house for a few days before sending it back. 27 tour wrap in a 27.5 felt good but wouldn't say it took up more volume. Heel/ankle zone was better for me, but that's pretty standard with wrap.

Quote Originally Posted by rjenz View Post
    Nice, 26 protour in a 26.5 shell? Did the protour seem to take up more volume than the stock Atomic liner, or pretty same-same?
    Quote Originally Posted by caulfield View Post
    I think I posted it earlier in this thread, but I had a gripwalk model at my house for a few days before sending it back. 27 tour wrap in a 27.5 felt good but wouldn't say it took up more volume. Heel/ankle zone was better for me, but that's pretty standard with wrap.
    Agreed with caulfield that they didn't seem to take up much more volume but keep in mind it was a 50 day old ProTour. I'll pop a new Tourwrap and ProTour in to see if it feels like it does take up more room. Keep in mind that the stock Atomic liner + stock footbed (for me anyhow), is a really nice fit and takes up room well. It shouldn't need to be said but obviously ymmv

EDIT _ I just remembered that I tossed both a LV and MV Protour in the Backland XTD. The LV ProTour was quite old - 50 days. The MV liner was quite new. Here's what I posted earlier about that

I also think the Backland XTD is a medium volume fit. Using a LV Intuition liner I need foam footbeds/volumizers to take up space. Using a MV Intuition liner I don't.
    Last edited by LeeLau; 01-15-2024 at 09:45 PM.

Finally got a few tours on these after a very slow start to the bc season for me. Good news is that they gave me no pain from my morton's neuroma and the width in the forefoot felt pretty good. The bad news is that even with L pads placed on liner around the ankle I have too much room in the heel. Not terribly noticeable slop while skiing, but I do get some lift that I would like to address. I don't know if I can fix this with more padding or different placement, different footbeds or maybe a higher volume liner.

I also think I'll try bumping the forward lean up to 17 degrees. 15 degrees left me feeling like I was fighting to stay forward driving the ski a few times. This was on a 184 Volkl V-werks Katana which has a very rearward/traditional mount, so that may play a role in that? The boot felt stiff enough to drive them as far as I could tell.

These new dual density intuition touring liners have helped me take up extra slop in my touring boots this season. Maybe they'll be useful for you
    https://intuitionliners.com/product/...-density-12mm/

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Finally got a few tours on these after a very slow start to the bc season for me. Good news is that they gave me no pain from my morton's neuroma and the width in the forefoot felt pretty good. The bad news is that even with L pads placed on liner around the ankle I have too much room in the heel. Not terribly noticeable slop while skiing, but I do get some lift that I would like to address. I don't know if I can fix this with more padding or different placement, different footbeds or maybe a higher volume liner.

I also think I'll try bumping the forward lean up to 17 degrees. 15 degrees left me feeling like I was fighting to stay forward driving the ski a few times. This was on a 184 Volkl V-werks Katana which has a very rearward/traditional mount, so that may play a role in that? The boot felt stiff enough to drive them as far as I could tell.
    Oh, forgot to ask: blue loctite on the screws if I adjust forward lean?

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Oh, forgot to ask: blue loctite on the screws if I adjust forward lean?
    Always loctite! I used the blue

I took the opportunity of some touring days to try the LV and MV 26 Intuition Protour in my sz 26 Backland XTDs. LV felt about the same volume. The MV took up more space so much so that I loosened buckles

Very interested in these boots, had a chance to fondle them in my local store. Got to slip on a pair, and they were suspiciously comfortable.. I didn’t trust the bootfitter as he didn’t even want a shell fit.

I’m a bit of an annoying foot to fit. Average to slightly wide forefoot. High instep. Narrower heel but a boney ankle.

I wound up in radical pros last year and flip between intuitions and GFTs. The shell fit is decent but not amazing. However the boot skis prettty damned well. My only issue is that I wish it had more forward lean and had a slightly snugger fit up front. My feet often get sore and cold if I crank the instep buckle.

Could the backland be a replacement? Or would it be more a fast and light boot to complement my radicals? The BSL is identical which is nice.

Just in case anyone wonders my stock liner without foot bed (27.5) weighed 294g
    The whole human race is de evolving; it is due to birth control, smart people use birth control, and stupid people keep pooping out more stupid babies.

Atomic Backland XTD 120 - new for 2023 - 24 season

I’m looking forward to trying these in the near future

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Aggressive in my own mind

PSA, Oliunid has some good deals on XTD 120, both AT and GW versions.

https://www.oliunid.com/atomic-backl...ing-boots.html

Got mine delivered in 3 days after purchase.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Robik View Post
    PSA, Oliunid has some good deals on XTD 120, both AT and GW versions.

https://www.oliunid.com/atomic-backl...ing-boots.html

Got mine delivered in 3 days after purchase.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk
    Same experience, 3 days shipping to West Coast.

35 day report.

Cuff pivots have play. Am going to extract, take a look and put in washers to take out play.

Liners are packed out. Replaced with MV Intuition Double Density tours. Boots are now 98g lighter, yet seem more stiff

Name:	IMG_20240221_182949_879.jpeg 
Views:	186 
Size:	170.3 KB 
ID:	487759Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20240221_182949_800.jpeg 
Views:	194 
Size:	159.7 KB 
ID:	487760Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20240221_182949_672.jpeg 
Views:	179 
Size:	168.8 KB 
ID:	487761