Strive 14/16 vs Attack 14/17

I can grab very good end of season deals on these bindings right now but my only reference point for bindings is Griffon 13's. I was initially leaning towards the Strives since they have more toe elasticity, but I haven't seen many longer term reviews. I'm also thinking it might be easier to buy more Attack bindings/brakes down the line as my quiver grows.

Prices (CAD, after tax):
    - Strive 14: $188.05
    - Attack 14: $219.52

- Strive 16: $268.93
    - Attack 17: $274.40

Any suggestions? I don't really know what to make of things like "fast return to center" or how a low COG toepiece compairs to an overall lower stand height.

You won't find any long term reviews of the Strive. They are a new binding. They have the same heel piece as the STH, so it's pretty well known. I have about 40 days on mine. They've been fine. Zero issues. I really like the way they ski. Honestly, I can't tell them from the STH if I were blindfolded. It took a few days to get the toe height dialed so it didn't have play, but they settled in and have been fine.

The heel unit is the weak link of salomons. I’d go attack2 before sth2.

Quote Originally Posted by SnowMachine View Post
    You won't find any long term reviews of the Strive. They are a new binding. They have the same heel piece as the STH, so it's pretty well known. I have about 40 days on mine. They've been fine. Zero issues. I really like the way they ski. Honestly, I can't tell them from the STH if I were blindfolded. It took a few days to get the toe height dialed so it didn't have play, but they settled in and have been fine.
    Strive 16s have the STH2 heels, Strive 14s have a new heel. Teflon plates for smoother lateral release, so they say.

Also, what do you mean by getting the toe height dialed? Sounds like there's no more screw to adjust the toe wing height like the STH2s?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyFofflmiPI

Coming off of Attacks exclusively for the past several seasons, I'm interested in trying the Strive 16s next. At least the STH heels of the Strive 16s have some track record. I was on Griffs before the Attacks, and I think I want to go back to having slightly more delta without the sliding AFDs on the Griffs.

Quote Originally Posted by CYJ View Post
    Strive 16s have the STH2 heels, Strive 14s have a new heel. Teflon plates for smoother lateral release, so they say.

Also, what do you mean by getting the toe height dialed? Sounds like there's no more screw to adjust the toe wing height like the STH2s?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyFofflmiPI

Coming off of Attacks exclusively for the past several seasons, I'm interested in trying the Strive 16s next. At least the STH heels of the Strive 16s have some track record. I was on Griffs before the Attacks, and I think I want to go back to having slightly more delta without the sliding AFDs on the Griffs.
    Sorry, yeah... I'm on the 16's.

The Strive has a toe (height? AFD? Whats the right term, here?) adjustment like the STH. When I set them to spec and skied, my toe ended up loose on the vertical plane. I carry a multi tool with me for my first days on STH and Strive's.

They settled in and are fine now. No wing adjustment on the Strive.

Sorry, yeah... I'm on the 16's.

The Strive has a toe (height? AFD? Whats the right term, here?) adjustment like the STH. When I set them to spec and skied, my toe ended up loose on the vertical plane. I carry a multi tool with me for my first days on STH and Strive's.

They settled in and are fine now. No wing adjustment on the Strive.
    Ah gotcha. I forgot the STH2 had both the wing adjustment to open the wings wider or narrower like a clamp, and the vertical toe height adjustment that moved the whole toe piece up and down. Saw a glimpse of the manual for the Strive and I can see what you mean. I think the vertical play in the toe was a not uncommon issue w STH2s, that some people had better luck than others resolving.

Realized I didn't really answer the OP's question in my first post. I was on Griffons for about 3 seasons before switching to Attacks for another 3 seasons. I notice the lower stack height and ramp delta just barely, and if you do, it'll most likely come down to personal preference. Also just not a fan of the gliding afd, I'd prefer a non-gliding for a more direct feeling and feedback, but I'm sure it could just be in my head. In terms of return to center, elasticity or prereleases I couldn't tell a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    The heel unit is the weak link of salomons. I’d go attack2 before sth2.
    Same w/ Tyrolia
    Heel cup wear has been an issue for me. I can feel the boot heel slightly lift while not skiing(moving from here to there while locked in). My brothers STH2 has same issue though.
    What problems have you experienced w/ the Sally heel out of curiosity?

^^^
    My issue with Salomon heels is that they prerelease. I haven’t prereleased from any other binding except Salomon in the last decade. 2 years ago I had a double prerelease on a pretty simple compression with heels set at 13.

I also hate that the toe piece magically opens and needs adjustment.

Well, the play in my Attack heels is annoying, I've never prereleased from them at least!.
    My brother has some STH2's as well. Don't think he's had any prereleased(also @13) issues, but he's definitely had to dick around with toe adjustments

^^^
    My issue with Salomon heels is that they prerelease. I haven’t prereleased from any other binding except Salomon in the last decade. 2 years ago I had a double prerelease on a pretty simple compression with heels set at 13.

Just on STH2 or on other Salomons as well?
    Last edited by Cork7 Belly Flop; 03-30-2023 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Missed sth2 in earlier message.

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    Same w/ Tyrolia
    Heel cup wear has been an issue for me. I can feel the boot heel slightly lift while not skiing(moving from here to there while locked in). My brothers STH2 has same issue though.
    What problems have you experienced w/ the Sally heel out of curiosity?
    Which din model of Attack are you in?

Quote Originally Posted by Cork7 Belly Flop View Post
    Just on STH2 or on other Salomons as well?
    Never had prerelease issues with STH only STH2. That said STH definitely develop heel slop as the heel piece runs inside the heel plate and the plastic on the heel piece breaks down. Probably similar issue to what Tuco is describing with his tyrolia. But I’ve never had that happen with tyrolia. Pivot>tyrolia>Salomon. Marker alpine doesn’t even get considered, but I do really like the alpinist 12.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20230331_005806621.MP.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	453816Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20230331_005407398.MP.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	453814
    Mojo 18
    Attack 18
    Both same heel as attack2
    Heel cup wear

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20230331_005806621.MP.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	453816Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20230331_005407398.MP.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	453814
    Mojo 18
    Attack 18
    Both same heel as attack2
    Heel cup wear
    How many days on those?

How many days on those?
    Mojo's owe me nothing. Countless days on those. I skied them a week ago, still hold me in fine, but it fells like my heel lifts +1/8". Even a dude behind me in the lift line commented on it! I'm going to officially retire them.
    Attacks concern me because they are on my current DD. I'm going to put use @ 120-150 days.
    My brother and I do a fuckload of step up traversing. I'm starting to believe that is the root cause. FWIW, my bro's STH2 heels are developing the same kind of cup wear

^^^

A double heel pre-release? Have you had them tested?

Here's a data point. Have the Attack 14 AT mounted on my Praxis Q for years. Walked out of a heel at Snowbird last week in deep heavy snow, was kind of annoyed, when I got to the bottom. I checked it and somehow the DIN on both heels was turned down to 8.5 instead of my usual 10.5.
    Looking back, I did have one other memorable pre-release earlier this year. Turned them back up ton10.5 and no issues

Lessons learned:
    #1:. I'm a dumbass who has no idea how those got cranked down and how long they've been that way for.

#2: retention must be pretty good to have held my 200 lbs ass this whole season with only a couple pre-releases with the din two points too low.

Overall happy with these bindings.

I noticed when you put the boot in the binding and set toe height you need to make sure not to lean on the boot or even weight of boot can cause the wrong setting. I pull up on the toe then set it and when finished pull up and down on the toe to ensure no wiggle.