When did "Bluebird Day" enter the skier's lexicon?

I first heard the expression at the Tsaina Lodge in 1996. It was a new expression to me, but I frequently heard D. Coombs describe a glorious bright sunny day as a "bluebird day". His enthusiasm was infectious so I may be remembering it differently but that's where I first heard it.

Etymology search was inconclusive. Anyone have earlier recollections of the phrase?

Merriam-Webster gives the first usage as 1860. So been around a while, to denote clear blue sky. Not sure when it distinctly became associated with skiing

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dict...bluebird%20day

Late eighties
    Jackson hole. First time I heard the bluebird was the word.
    So Coombs was around, but it wasn’t his invention

High mountain high pressure days are insanely blue. But the bird thing is odd. Is it the song of the south seeking revenge on the north? Zipidee do dah etc.

Bluebirds are almost universally recognized as a harbinger of happiness, hope, and renewal. Especially after a storm.

I know it as a nautical term from my youth and it has long-standing references in seafaring folklore. A sailor with 10,000 sea miles would often get a bluebird tattoo. So it’s been around.

I certainly would have used it in Colorado in the late 80’s for a cloudless day after a storm.

I first heard it when I was a kid at Bridger Bowl in the mid 1960's, probably '66ish. Blue sky, no wind, and great skiing! Have used it since to mean just that! In fact, my 2 sons and I were blessed with a "blue bird" day a few Saturdays ago while we spread my sister's and their aunt's ashes at BB. No "Big Lebowski" episode!!

Quote Originally Posted by bluespark View Post
    I first heard the expression at the Tsaina Lodge in 1996. It was a new expression to me, but I frequently heard D. Coombs describe a glorious bright sunny day as a "bluebird day". His enthusiasm was infectious so I may be remembering it differently but that's where I first heard it.

Etymology search was inconclusive. Anyone have earlier recollections of the phrase?
    its been there since I started in the 80s
    Likely around 1946?

When did 'this is a JONG-ass thread' enter the skier's lexicon?

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    its been there since I started in the 80s
    Likely around 1946?

Fuck. Where did you find that?

Song of the south has been memory holed for a long time. Didn’t think I’d see it again. that song was awesome. Bluebird on his shoulder. And zippedee doo dah mutherfuckers.

I started skiing in '73 and remember hearing it.

Pretty sure it predates ski culture here

I started skiing last month and I remember hearing it back then.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Bluebird powder day--the only appropiate use in the context of skiing; fuck people who say it's a beautiful day on the chair when it hasn't snowed in weeks--as long as I've been skiing so at least 60 years.
    We were camped at 11K in the Sierra during a warm spell, not a cloud or any shade for a couple of days. A passing ranger described the weather as severely clear. I've adopted that one.

Bluebird powder day--the only appropiate use in the context of skiing; fuck people who say it's a beautiful day on the chair when it hasn't snowed in weeks--as long as I've been skiing so at least 60 years.
    We were camped at 11K in the Sierra during a warm spell, not a cloud or any shade for a couple of days. A passing ranger described the weather as severely clear. I've adopted that one.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    severely clear
    This is good…..

Aka "clear as fk"

Quote Originally Posted by bluespark View Post

Want to go camp + ride some 2 strokes in the desert soon?

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    When did 'this is a JONG-ass thread' enter the skier's lexicon?
    What about SATISFACTUAL

Can we get that back in any lexicon?