Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

2023 - 24 Atomic Hawx Ultra XTD v2 with Boa

OnenerdyKid (Matt Manser) has been very professional and super generous with his time in this general Atomic ski boot thread .

I've been given a pair to test, took some pics, added some captions and still am in the process of writing it. I was thinking of adding them to the general Atomic boot thread but it's a mish-mash of info about the Redster, the new Backland XTD (which I have and am also testing long-term) so IMO it's better to avoid the general gongshow of how bad this forum is for searching and dropping the pics in here.

Also I just skied the new Hawx v2 for 5 days and handed them back without taking them for much of a tour (just a half-day) so thought it might be best for others who later get a chance to chime in with fit, skiing, touring/walking and other impressions into this one thread.

Here's the pic download

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	atomic-hawx-ultra-xtd-130-boa-2024.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	186.8 KB 
ID:	453603

New v2 Hawx

Name:  Hawxvers1_926x640.jpg
Views: 2032
Size:  82.7 KB

Old v1 Hawx (Still my go-to slackcountry booth and still use it with my bigger pow setups in resort. 150+ days on them and still going strong)

Name:	20230224_155121.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	163.7 KB 
ID:	453605
    Actual weight of Hawx v2 in size 26.5. Weighed without optional volumizer or laces. Spoilers are also available for those wanting extra forward lean

Name:	20230224_155800.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	192.0 KB 
ID:	453606
    The Atomic Hawx BOA v2 shell weighs 1400g (v1 weighed 1135g in the same sz 26.5).

The newer Atomic Mimic liners are hefty coming in at 423g weighed with the stock footbed. That's heavier even then the v1 Atomic Hawx liner + footbed at 292g. For datapoints, an Intuition ProTour liner weighs 268g

Name:	20230224_155944.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	459.0 KB 
ID:	453607

If you really want to weight-weenie, you can get the Hawx v2 down to 1613g using the ethereal (but fragile; good for about 30 days) Tecnica liner. Lose the Atomic bootboard and power strap and eek out another 50 or so grams of weight. But then maybe you've got the wrong boot.....
    Last edited by LeeLau; 11-12-2023 at 11:54 PM.

More

Name:	20230224_130708.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	199.0 KB 
ID:	453608
    Hawx v2 mens vs Hawx v2 womens

Name:	20230224_155020.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	172.8 KB 
ID:	453609
    Tecnica ZeroG Tour Pro 130 (my personal dedicated touring boot) vs Hawx v2. The Hawx shell and liner are noticeably taller. The Tecnica ZGTP weighs 1326g; the Hawx weighs 1819g

Name:	20230224_160103.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	170.1 KB 
ID:	453610
    The BOA system is not that common in touring boots but moreso on snowboard boots. Atomic didn't mess around and spec'ed thick cables. Compare the Hawx v2 Boa to my Scarpa F1's BOA cables (used 200+ days without issues)

Name:	20230224_160141.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	129.8 KB 
ID:	453611
    Per Atomic - the BOA allows you to "Dial up or down to create your perfect fit – with a smooth, uniform closure, so you can put less energy into keeping your foot secure and more into keeping control. Push in to engage, turn to tighten or loosen and pull up the dial for a quick release."

There's no doubt the looks of the Boa may be polarizing. The location also leads to potential concerns; will they be too exposed when on sleds, in gondolas, while bootpacking?

Name:	20230224_160151.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	121.0 KB 
ID:	453612
    Buckles are conventional microadjustable with nice long gates to accommodate different sized ankles. The ladders on the buckles are spring-loaded so the buckles are retained when loosened for touring. They're assembled with lots of loctite (good!).

Name:	20230224_160204.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	289.0 KB 
ID:	453613
    Closeup of the Atomic "Powershift" forward lean mechanism which remains unchanged except for slightly tweaks. Hawx v2 comes stock at 15 deg forward lean. Simply loosen the allen bolt to slide the hardware up or down to get to either 13 or 17 deg. Remember to reassemble with lots of loctite. The walk mode is familiar, easy to operate and quite beefy.

Also pictured is the external construction of the "Energy backbone - a reinforced, asymmetric backbone "providing extra strength for powerful skiing plus enhanced lateral energy transmission for better edge grip"

More part 2

Name:	20230224_160254.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	221.7 KB 
ID:	453614
    Inside of the boot shows a classic overlap design with a rear cuff pushing against a reinforced spine. See hardware attaching power strap; scallops and a removeable boot board

Name:	20230224_160314.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	148.7 KB 
ID:	453615
    Gripwalk soles are compatible with Gripwalk bindings. There are tech fittings of course so you can use this with tech bindings

Name:	20230224_160343.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	530.1 KB 
ID:	453616
    Stock footbed and Mimic Platinum liner which is OE with the Hawx Ultra XTD Boa. . Note the red material at the bellowed "Achilles" flex zone designed to promote fore-aft movement.

Mimic material is designed to allow heatmolding for fit, heel hold and overall performance + comfort. Mimic Professional liners (not pictured) - are aftermarket through dealers and are updated with new microfiber outer materials & new internal constructions to offer a tighter fit and a longer lasting fit. New microfiber outers (basically a synthetic leather) are thicker & more supple, better following the contours of the foot and shell wall. The internal layup is also changed to be more anatomical so as to offer more hold from mid-foot to heel.

Will follow up with fit, skiing impressions etc. Usual caveats apply. I have GregL style Azn feet (ie collapsed arches, wide af forefoot, fungal toes, 6th toe) and the miracle of Memoryfit got me into the 98mm last just fine so you'll probably be good. I'm also only 75kg/160lbs so ymmv if you're bigger and more radgnar.

Very nice. Are you going to do a similar thread about the Backland XTD?

Quote Originally Posted by wilcox510 View Post
    Very nice. Are you going to do a similar thread about the Backland XTD?
    Yah. I've got the detailed pictures and the comments about specs and details but just not the time to put it together yet. Will try before end of week

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Also I just skied the new Hawx v2 for 5 days and handed them back without taking them for much of a tour so thought it might be best for others who later get a chance to chime in with fit, skiing, touring/walking and other impressions into this one thread.
    My pair should be here tomorrow; will chime in after I get them to fit my feet. Currently using a Hawx Ultra 120 with the polyamide shell (and sometimes a stiffer Redster Professional liner) for this "travel and demo boot" category.

Holy smokes that liner is burly, but for application it makes lots of sense. I'm super skeptical of the new BOA system in general, but am excited to hear peoples feelings after some actually abuse.

OK, got mine today. Fit was damn good with just a heat mold; I punched lightly at the fifth met heads and they are perfect, total time about 30 minutes. Easiest fit I've ever done for my feet in a sub-100mm boot (left is 109-111mm, right is 117-119mm depending on which scanning tool is used). Bootfitters have known for years that Atomic's PU boots heat mold way better than their PA boots, and the new PU Ultra XTD is exceptional (medial midfoot and navicular, which need punching in this year's PA boot, were fine with just the heat mold), not sure who is going to need the Prime XTD coming in two seasons . . . Walk mode is actually all new, beefed up in subtle ways (no ridges) and the ability to change forward lean without buying a 13/19 flip chip is also new. Once heat molded, there is a huge sweet spot for Boa tension - you can get it pretty damn tight and it feels OK, you can leave it pretty damn loose and it doesn't feel sloppy. Have to work for a couple days, but we'll see how they ski this weekend.

Name:	hawxboa_4064.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	553.0 KB 
ID:	453716

oh man greg your mind is gonna explode when you ski these things.

I'd forgotten how good PU boots feel compared to grilamid. Or maybe I'd gotten so used to grilamid and PA that I'd forgotten about that sweet sweet progressive feel of PU.

and yeah - I'd wanted to be ho-hum about the BOA but I really did feel that I didn't need to tighten my forefoot very much to get a nice gripped hold. That was nice for the 5 cold days I skied on these

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    OK, got mine today. Fit was damn good with just a heat mold; I punched lightly at the fifth met heads and they are perfect, total time about 30 minutes. Easiest fit I've ever done for my feet in a sub-100mm boot (left is 109-111mm, right is 117-119mm depending on which scanning tool is used). Bootfitters have known for years that Atomic's PU boots heat mold way better than their PA boots, and the new PU Ultra XTD is exceptional (medial midfoot and navicular, which need punching in this year's PA boot, were fine with just the heat mold), not sure who is going to need the Prime XTD coming in two seasons . . . Walk mode is actually all new, beefed up in subtle ways (no ridges) and the ability to change forward lean without buying a 13/19 flip chip is also new. Once heat molded, there is a huge sweet spot for Boa tension - you can get it pretty damn tight and it feels OK, you can leave it pretty damn loose and it doesn't feel sloppy. Have to work for a couple days, but we'll see how they ski this weekend.
    Can't wait to hear more. How does volume compare to a Cochise / Mach 1?

Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    Can't wait to hear more. How does volume compare to a Cochise / Mach 1?
    Seems similar to a Cochise, roomier than a Mach 1 LV. Was amazed by how easily I got it to fit after owning two other pairs of Hawx Ultra XTD's . . .

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    oh man greg your mind is gonna explode when you ski these things. I'd forgotten how good PU boots feel compared to grilamid.
    I haven't forgotten, most of my lift-served the past two seasons has been on a Redster CS . . . talk about PU goodness! Trying to find some of those Dual Component lifters Matt mentions in his Atomic thread, but they are scarce in the US.

So is there going to be another boot to bridge the gap between the new XTD, which is considerably porkier than the old one, and the Backland? Or are they ceding the ~1400g range entirely to the ZGTP?

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post
    So is there going to be another boot to bridge the gap between the new XTD, which is considerably porkier than the old one, and the Backland? Or are they ceding the ~1400g range entirely to the ZGTP?
    See Lee's other thread: Backland XTD 120

Greg, a few questions.

You says it’s similar volume to a Cochise and bigger than a Mach 1. Could you elaborate. I find the Cochise an absolute boat that gives very little hold but the Hawx ultra feels much snugger. Granted the new liner and PU plastic make the Hawx fit noticeably larger than the old one (forefoot width and length). I find the Cochise to have a wide throat/cuff diameter which kills any ankle hold. The forefoot feels much wider to me too. I haven’t spent much time in the new Cochise or new Hawx but I did own the old Hawx.

Also, you say you don’t know why people would buy the new prime xtd coming in two years. The prime xtd already exists, care to clarify?

Has anyone had to do a sixth toe punch behind that monstrous boa deflector shield? It looks like it will be challenging.

Seems similar to a Cochise, roomier than a Mach 1 LV. Was amazed by how easily I got it to fit after owning two other pairs of Hawx Ultra XTD's . . .
    One thing's for sure, if you want Boa next season and you've got a narrowish-to-average foot, the Hawx Ultra will be the way to go. I've tried on the S/Pro Supra and Recon MV Boa boots and they fit like boats (haven't tried the RC4 Pro MV). I believe K2 is doing the Mindbender 120/130 with Boa, but their 98mm last feels like other brands 100mm last.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBC View Post
    Greg, a few questions.

You says it’s similar volume to a Cochise and bigger than a Mach 1. Could you elaborate. I find the Cochise an absolute boat that gives very little hold but the Hawx ultra feels much snugger. Granted the new liner and PU plastic make the Hawx fit noticeably larger than the old one (forefoot width and length). I find the Cochise to have a wide throat/cuff diameter which kills any ankle hold. The forefoot feels much wider to me too. I haven’t spent much time in the new Cochise or new Hawx but I did own the old Hawx.

Also, you say you don’t know why people would buy the new prime xtd coming in two years. The prime xtd already exists, care to clarify?

Has anyone had to do a sixth toe punch behind that monstrous boa deflector shield? It looks like it will be challenging.
    Similar in overall volume to a Cochise, but taller instep, shorter interior length, snugger heel and ankle, etc. It's probably a poor comparison. They kept the fit of the previous Ultra but even with a cushier liner it feels more voluminous than the PA shells. I only wore it for a couple minutes before heat molding, though, and I haven't had a Cochise in a while.

Roomier than a Mach 1 LV, not MV - the LV took a lot of work to make comfortable.

The Prime XTD will have a Boa version in '24-'25, but you'll need a really high volume foot to need it considering how good the Memory Fit works with the Ultra.

Yes, I punched mine last night. No problem if you have a bridge tool for your punch, a standard 3" Ski Kare/SVST ring or Keyser "Large" cup will hit the Boa (might be able to pop it off and replace it after punching, though). The punch area will likely be somewhere on top of the "ramp" so you need to heat it a bit longer, but sporadically - the metal Atomic label will pop up a little but if you also do a bit at the phalanges it will go back down.

So it seems like there’s going to be relatively little difference between the locked-out Ultra XTD and the non-XTD Ultra? Am I missing something?

Curious about the skiing impressions between the two. I’m in the market for a resort-oriented boot, so don’t care about the weight, just performance. Or would it make more sense to just skip Ultra altogether and go Redster for this application? Greg’s comments about the easy mold fit for wide feet on the new XTD have me piqued as I don’t exactly trust my local fitters to do wonders on the Redster.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbojones View Post
    So it seems like there’s going to be relatively little difference between the locked-out Ultra XTD and the non-XTD Ultra? Am I missing something?

Curious about the skiing impressions between the two. I’m in the market for a resort-oriented boot, so don’t care about the weight, just performance. Or would it make more sense to just skip Ultra altogether and go Redster for this application? Greg’s comments about the easy mold fit for wide feet on the new XTD have me piqued as I don’t exactly trust my local fitters to do wonders on the Redster.
    You mean an Ultra XTD with a GnarBar? Haven't tried it, and not sure I need to. I've never really had an issue with the current walk mode levers feeling solid on the XTD boots.

I think it depends on what you expect performance-wise. Nothing is going to blast through chop or tame chatter like the thick PU on the Redster. If you only need the Redster CS wider in the forefoot, most bootfitters with a few years of experience should be able to do the job. I had to grind a fair amount in the medial arch/navicular area to move the plastic enough; once it's gone it's gone but lots of people have Foredoms and plenty of old-school bootfitters are comfortable with them.

You mean an Ultra XTD with a GnarBar? Haven't tried it, and not sure I need to. I've never really had an issue with the current walk mode levers feeling solid on the XTD boots.

I think it depends on what you expect performance-wise. Nothing is going to blast through chop or tame chatter like the thick PU on the Redster. If you only need the Redster CS wider in the forefoot, most bootfitters with a few years of experience should be able to do the job. I had to grind a fair amount in the medial arch/navicular area to move the plastic enough; once it's gone it's gone but lots of people have Foredoms and plenty of old-school bootfitters are comfortable with them.
    Yup - forgot what it was called, but I like it - has a solid ring to it!

Alright, think you’ve convinced me on the Redsters. Thank you Greg!

I'm assuming so, but no cuff alignment options outside of the inherent changes involved with cooking the shells, right?

It’s kind of a TRG mantra, (for good reason), I’m always scared of buying something in the first year of production and that’s kind of how I feel about the boa on this “alpine” boot, so I would probably want to get the buckle version instead. Opinions?
    Also, is there any way to get the injectable liner right off the bat, and not have to buy the liner that comes with, then replace it with the injectable as aftermarket?

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

I tried on all the new BOA boots. I found the Hawx tight enough that the boa didn't make much of a difference since you aren't cranking the buckles anyways. It will also be easier to work on because it won't have the massive deflector shield, even if it does seem to not get in the way too much for Greg and Lee.

Side note, I found the k2 use of BOA the most effective. Since it starts higher volume and needs to tighten a lot and because of their toe dam shape.

Quote Originally Posted by Ørion View Post
    I'm assuming so, but no cuff alignment options outside of the inherent changes involved with cooking the shells, right?
    Correct. No cant mechanism

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    It’s kind of a TRG mantra, (for good reason), I’m always scared of buying something in the first year of production and that’s kind of how I feel about the boa on this “alpine” boot, so I would probably want to get the buckle version instead. Opinions?
    Also, is there any way to get the injectable liner right off the bat, and not have to buy the liner that comes with, then replace it with the injectable as aftermarket?
    I think it's always wise to be wary of 1st year products. Having said that if a Boa fails you won't die.

I think you mean the Mimic Professional liner as the injectable liner? ONK mentioned in the Atomic boot thread that you can get that from Atomic dealers. Will try to confirm and get one when they come in

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBC View Post
    I tried on all the new BOA boots. I found the Hawx tight enough that the boa didn't make much of a difference since you aren't cranking the buckles anyways. It will also be easier to work on because it won't have the massive deflector shield, even if it does seem to not get in the way too much for Greg and Lee.

Side note, I found the k2 use of BOA the most effective. Since it starts higher volume and needs to tighten a lot and because of their toe dam shape.
    Can't speak to the K2 since I haven't had it on my feet yet but Tom did bug me about trying one. I'm interested enough to get one and we can compare notes

Re the BOA - I tend to agree. The forefoot in the Hawx was tight enough that I barely tightened the BOA to get good hold. Interestingly the BOA snugs things up enough I don't even crank it which is different? Not sure if better but definitely different. To me, what was also interesting was that the Hawx v2 wasn't so tight that I had to have a punch before skiing. This wasn't true for Hawx v1 where i need a punch, a stretch and then MemoryFit before I could even tolerate walking around in them. Yet both v1 and v2 are 98mm.

n

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    ...Also, is there any way to get the injectable liner right off the bat, and not have to buy the liner that comes with, then replace it with the injectable as aftermarket?
    I remember ONK saying Atomic isn't offering the professional kit (shell + pro liner + pro strap) as a package starting next year.