Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 32
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Mesa/Rio/Mar/Cordillera
    Posts
    91

    Question 194 or 186? Opinions please. QST Blank

    186 OR 194??? OPINIONS POR FAVOR
    Posted this in the Blank thread.
    I have been having paralysis by analysis. Can't decide 186 or 194. I have both new unmounted. Won't keep both.

    I am 200lbs and 6"1'. I ski 195 old heavy early rise Line Motherships everywhere. Wanted rocker to pivot in the trees. Spoiled by the cadillac of the heavy moships. 52 and wanted something super easy in the trees. Only rarely do the Moships feel long in the trees.

    Worried about the 186 feeling too short especially bombing crud coming out of the trees. I want the quick fun pivot but no washout tails.

    It is a tree pivot priority but I am not sure I can give up the stable speed on the open terrain. Maybe I just need to add an enforcer 110 or sender squad next year for the charger at the 190ish size. Can't figure it out because of too much analysis and lack of compromise.

    194 +1 mount? I know they ski short with the massive tail rocker.
    186 on the line? Too short or cheating fun without being unstable?

    All for steez in the trees.

    Can't' decide strive, pivots or shifts (longshot).

    Thanks for any insight.
    Set waves, powder days

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    in the shadow of the white rocks
    Posts
    3,002
    I'm 5'9" / 145lbs & 2 seasons back got tired of folks pocking fun at me for skiing a Moment Commander in a 178 for tight turns / steeps, so I went 194 CMD 108mm for a season. It was fine, just has to adjust line some. YMMV but I NEVER want to be on a ski that is too short when thats the option. Go 194 if bombing is a priority. Go 186 if trees are ur jam.

    *my reference stick this season is the 188 Corvus.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2022
    Location
    Truckee
    Posts
    271
    I haven't skied the Blank yet, but all indication is that they ski short. I think I'd do 194 at your size.

    As for bindings, it depends on what you're used to skiing. I went away from Pivots this year. I have Strive 16's on my Enforcers and STH2's on everything else. A few reasons: a) I like the really solid engagement of the solly bindings b) the angles just seem to work for me c) the brakes are both burly and tuck up and away much better than Pivot brakes. YMMV

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Mesa/Rio/Mar/Cordillera
    Posts
    91
    Quote Originally Posted by iriponsnow View Post
    I'm 5'9" / 145lbs & 2 seasons back got tired of folks pocking fun at me for skiing a Moment Commander in a 178 for tight turns / steeps, so I went 194 CMD 108mm for a season. It was fine, just has to adjust line some. YMMV but I NEVER want to be on a ski that is too short when thats the option. Go 194 if bombing is a priority. Go 186 if trees are ur jam.

    *my reference stick this season is the 188 Corvus.
    Demoed the longest 105 Atris ~190. Poppy and fun. That's a big jump in size. Must have been the call if your on a 188 now. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowMachine View Post
    I haven't skied the Blank yet, but all indication is that they ski short. I think I'd do 194 at your size.

    As for bindings, it depends on what you're used to skiing. I went away from Pivots this year. I have Strive 16's on my Enforcers and STH2's on everything else. A few reasons: a) I like the really solid engagement of the solly bindings b) the angles just seem to work for me c) the brakes are both burly and tuck up and away much better than Pivot brakes. YMMV
    My gut instinct. Great info on the Solly vs look brakes. Funny I was just checking the brakes on the strives I put on my wife's QST 98s for just that retraction past the sidewall. Thanks. What width enforcer are you riding?
    Set waves, powder days

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Mesa/Rio/Mar/Cordillera
    Posts
    91

    186 under a 190+ pounder?

    Any 190 lb + folk riding 186 Blanks? Progressive mount? Tip dive? Shovel deflection? Tail Washout? All things being mainly rider error, equipment matters.
    Set waves, powder days

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    59715
    Posts
    6,220
    Go with the 194, if you shop smart you can find some at half price. You don't like them, flip them for not much of a loss.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Lapping the pow with the GSA in the PNW
    Posts
    4,865
    Go with the 194. Iím 5í 8Ē and 200-lbs on the 186. I bought them to ski pow with my kids. They are fun toys, but I should probably be in the 194ís.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2022
    Posts
    63
    I'm 5'11" and fluctuate between 170-180. I ride the 186 length and haven't felt that going shorter has held me back. Whenever it is a powder day at the resort I usually end up tree skiing all day because that's where the good snow is, so I appreciate the maneuverability.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Mesa/Rio/Mar/Cordillera
    Posts
    91
    Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post
    Go with the 194. I’m 5’ 8” and 200-lbs on the 186. I bought them to ski pow with my kids. They are fun toys, but I should probably be in the 194’s.
    Thanks. I am usually in the trees with the kids most days storm skiiing or traversing and hunting pow stashes in following days. Kind of what I want the funzo toy like the Bent 110 which was too toy like for me. Maybe it pivoted to easy and the 188 with the forward mount was toyish out of the trees for me. 120 just seemed too fat for 2-3 days after the snow in the trees. May not as toyish. At 200lbs were you overpowering the tips at all or were they just too loose outside of the tree skiing pow or skiing with kids? My kids don't really slow me down that much. We wait for my better half though. Appreciate your beta, read many of your reviews and comments.

    Quote Originally Posted by MoeSnow View Post
    I'm 5'11" and fluctuate between 170-180. I ride the 186 length and haven't felt that going shorter has held me back. Whenever it is a powder day at the resort I usually end up tree skiing all day because that's where the good snow is, so I appreciate the maneuverability.
    Looking for the maneuverabililty and not sure I will give up to much with 4cm less fore and aft considering the big front and tail rocker. Still considering that shorter ski. Thanks. Not sure if our different masses of about 12 % would create a radically different performance spectrum for the Blank in 186.


    Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    Go with the 194, if you shop smart you can find some at half price. You don't like them, flip them for not much of a loss.
    Thanks grabbed some at 60% retail in both sizes. One has to go. Appreciated. Loved that commercial as a kid-everytime I see the exit sign for Bandini Blvd I recall it. Ingemar Stenmark was on my wall and I had Elans back then. Just the poster not Ingemar himself.
    Set waves, powder days

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    North Van
    Posts
    3,694
    Maybe try the 186 before you sell the 194 and flip them if theyíre too short?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Alta
    Posts
    2,495
    If you sell the 194 for %60 off retail Iíll buy them. I have the 186 mounted with cast. Great ski. They really come alive with speed, the faster you ski them the smoother they are. Great Alta ski, but Iíd like to score a cheap pair of the 194 for skiing the bird. That said Iíve skied west rustler in 4 turns on the 186 and they had no issue with at that speed.


    Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Mesa/Rio/Mar/Cordillera
    Posts
    91
    Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    If you sell the 194 for %60 off retail I’ll buy them. I have the 186 mounted with cast. Great ski. They really come alive with speed, the faster you ski them the smoother they are. Great Alta ski, but I’d like to score a cheap pair of the 194 for skiing the bird. That said I’ve skied west rustler in 4 turns on the 186 and they had no issue with at that speed.


    Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    Sounds like you can crush stones on the 184. How much do you weigh?

    I thought they might be a little soft for jamming out set up crud? But you want the 194 to charge the chunder at Snowbird?

    Let me think about that on the 194. I might take em back, but it could work.

    Damper and smoother at speed should equate to smashing the heavier spring set up on Greeley in the 194 more like a heavier stiff charger? Worried at my size the 184 won't like the heavier set up snow at speed. That said I wanted the Blank for kidee pow hunts finding tree stashes and stay fun and pivoty with hit now and then. Rocker seems fun.
    Bent 110 188 wasn't my jam, but a cool ski for pivoty play.

    Great beta. You must get on the Solly team. Now, I went back to wanting both (not happening though). Oh yeah now CAST and pivots. Oh Boy.
    Set waves, powder days

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Alta
    Posts
    2,495
    Quote Originally Posted by altabrig View Post
    Sounds like you can crush stones on the 184. How much do you weigh?

    I thought they might be a little soft for jamming out set up crud? But you want the 194 to charge the chunder at Snowbird?

    Let me think about that on the 194. I might take em back, but it could work.

    Damper and smoother at speed should equate to smashing the heavier spring set up on Greeley in the 194 more like a heavier stiff charger? Worried at my size the 184 won't like the heavier set up snow at speed. That said I wanted the Blank for kidee pow hunts finding tree stashes and stay fun and pivoty with hit now and then. Rocker seems fun.
    Bent 110 188 wasn't my jam, but a cool ski for pivoty play.

    Great beta. You must get on the Solly team. Now, I went back to wanting both (not happening though). Oh yeah now CAST and pivots. Oh Boy.
    Theyíve been making good skis lately. But Salomons are the only binding Iíve pre released from in the last decade.

    Bent 110 is very different than the blank, weight and construction.

    The 186 is stable for its size. When I say the ski comes alive at speed, I donít mean itís a straight line machine. Rather the ski hits a middle ground between super maneuverable and stable enough for very high speed. Feels very similar to a hoji design ski at high speeds. But carves hard pack in a way that a hoji design never could.

    Iím 5í10Ē 190 and the 186 can be skied at any mountain in any condition. Hence why I went with the cast set up, go anywhere do anything ski. That said for the right price the 194 would be an absolute slayer at the bird, mammoth, Jackson, whistler, places with steeps and room to run. But I wouldnít hesitate to ski anywhere on the 186. In good pow Iíll take a white room renegade over any ski ever made. But the blank 186 is insanely versatile.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Mesa/Rio/Mar/Cordillera
    Posts
    91
    Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    They’ve been making good skis lately. But Salomons are the only binding I’ve pre released from in the last decade.

    Bent 110 is very different than the blank, weight and construction.

    The 186 is stable for its size. When I say the ski comes alive at speed, I don’t mean it’s a straight line machine. Rather the ski hits a middle ground between super maneuverable and stable enough for very high speed. Feels very similar to a hoji design ski at high speeds. But carves hard pack in a way that a hoji design never could.

    I’m 5’10” 190 and the 186 can be skied at any mountain in any condition. Hence why I went with the cast set up, go anywhere do anything ski. That said for the right price the 194 would be an absolute slayer at the bird, mammoth, Jackson, whistler, places with steeps and room to run. But I wouldn’t hesitate to ski anywhere on the 186. In good pow I’ll take a white room renegade over any ski ever made. But the blank 186 is insanely versatile.
    Excellent. So instead of straightline hoping the run out, it is a turning exit.

    CAST seems a better option than the Shift or Duke PT for charging down and easier up. What Solly pre ejected you?

    Mammoth and the other top of the top resorts have that extra few hundred vert to run on and the wide opens that the 195 range skis love.

    I can't give up my old softened Motherships, but they need a rest and have gone a bit noodly and I can use a ski that pivots easy with the rocker and less weight.

    Even with 30 or 40 tunes and a couple basegrinds they still have more edge than the new Blanks.

    So drifting, pivoting and hammering it in the steeps are not an issue for the 186 which works in the motherchurch resort terrain. I am thinking that the 194 might be almost as easy to pivot without being catchy and bringing a bit more charge with the length.

    I paid 60% retail (not off) x tax so it probably isn't at the price you are looking for. Both pairs are still in plastic and can go back to the shop.

    Did get a pair of pivots and am considering strive. Been using pivots, jesters, dukes for years, but never been on a solly. Pre-release is scaring me from the shifts. Should just get legit AT toe pair or CAST at least and make it easier. Pre eject Pre Release is a bad headspace.
    Last edited by altabrig; 03-29-2023 at 10:19 PM.
    Set waves, powder days

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2022
    Location
    Truckee
    Posts
    271
    Quote Originally Posted by altabrig View Post
    Demoed the longest 105 Atris ~190. Poppy and fun. That's a big jump in size. Must have been the call if your on a 188 now. Thanks.

    My gut instinct. Great info on the Solly vs look brakes. Funny I was just checking the brakes on the strives I put on my wife's QST 98s for just that retraction past the sidewall. Thanks. What width enforcer are you riding?
    I'm on the 110 and REALLY like it, but being the ski whore that I am, I have some J Hotshots coming to try out. There's a decent chance I'll ski the Enforcer the whole year next year, though. Unless I really like the Hotshot.

    FWIW, the heel piece on the Strive 16 is the same as the STH. Brakes are interchangeable. I put some 100 brakes on the 110 Enforcers. They work, but hang occasionally when stepping in. I'm going to swap them out with the 115 STH brakes I have sitting here.

    To elaborate further, I occasionally hook up Look brakes on each other. That's never happened to me with a solly brake.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    May 2022
    Location
    Truckee
    Posts
    271
    Quote Originally Posted by altabrig View Post
    Excellent. So instead of straightline hoping the run out, it is a turning exit.

    CAST seems a better option than the Shift or Duke PT for charging down and easier up. What Solly pre ejected you?

    Mammoth and the other top of the top resorts have that extra few hundred vert to run on and the wide opens that the 195 range skis love.

    I can't give up my old softened Motherships, but they need a rest and have gone a bit noodly and I can use a ski that pivots easy with the rocker and less weight.

    Even with 30 or 40 tunes and a couple basegrinds they still have more edge than the new Blanks.

    So drifting, pivoting and hammering it in the steeps are not an issue for the 186 which works in the motherchurch resort terrain. I am thinking that the 194 might be almost as easy to pivot without being catchy and bringing a bit more charge with the length.

    I paid 60% retail (not off) x tax so it probably isn't at the price you are looking for. Both pairs are still in plastic and can go back to the shop.

    Did get a pair of pivots and am considering strive. Been using pivots, jesters, dukes for years, but never been on a solly. Pre-release is scaring me from the shifts. Should just get legit AT toe pair or CAST at least and make it easier. Pre eject Pre Release is a bad headspace.
    I'm nit picking on the bindings. If you already have Pivots I'd probably run them, especially if you have them on your other skis. Outside of the pinner brakes, I love Pivots and have them on my "park" skis.

    I can't complain about the Solly bindings though. Never a single release issue with them, easy engagement in all conditions and a bit more angle than Looks.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Mesa/Rio/Mar/Cordillera
    Posts
    91
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowMachine View Post
    I'm nit picking on the bindings. If you already have Pivots I'd probably run them, especially if you have them on your other skis. Outside of the pinner brakes, I love Pivots and have them on my "park" skis.

    I can't complain about the Solly bindings though. Never a single release issue with them, easy engagement in all conditions and a bit more angle than Looks.
    !st worls issues. I have strive, shift and pivot sitting in front of me. Shifts are gone.
    Set waves, powder days

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Mesa/Rio/Mar/Cordillera
    Posts
    91
    Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    If you sell the 194 for %60 off retail I’ll buy them. I have the 186 mounted with cast. Great ski. They really come alive with speed, the faster you ski them the smoother they are. Great Alta ski, but I’d like to score a cheap pair of the 194 for skiing the bird. That said I’ve skied west rustler in 4 turns on the 186 and they had no issue with at that speed.


    Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    Where did you mount the 186. The line? +1? Back?
    Set waves, powder days

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Alta
    Posts
    2,495
    +1.5, feels great. I do like progressive mounts on directional skis. Iíve skied another pair on the line and they felt fine. If you tend like a more traditional mount, go on the line.


    Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Mesa/Rio/Mar/Cordillera
    Posts
    91
    Going small for the tight tree ease. I should go bigger but the initial search was for short and super nimble. The 194 would probably be peetty nimble too with the massive fore and aft rocker..
    Going Standard mount. Going strive over pivots. I want to switch boots and it will be easy on the strive with the different BSLs. Pivots for a new charger later. Should be fun! Arigato.
    Set waves, powder days

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    62
    For those who have skied these, curious how the compare to a 192 M Free

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Alta
    Posts
    2,495
    Iíve only skied 2 runs on the m free. But didnít like it at all, which really surprised me. The Blank is excellent, which also surprised me given the tight turn radius.


    Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Lapping the pow with the GSA in the PNW
    Posts
    4,865
    Iím on the 186 Blank and itís more like a low angle Dad skiing pow ski for me at 5í 8Ē and 200-lbs. itís fun and playful but lacks the backbone of other skis. I should probably be on the 194. For me, the 192 MFree is far superior in soft conditions and can be skied much harder. The 194 Blank to 192 MFree is probably a very different comparison.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    154
    Thread makes me laugh, not in a bad way but at my 1st world problems. I’m 6’5”, 220 - but I can’t ski anything longer than a 191 because …. it won’t fuckin fit in my rocket box. I have a yakima 16 and even 191s have to be twin tips and tha pair has to be split, both skis base down with the tips and tails tucked under the metal braces and curving up with the box. It’s been a barrier to the skis I want for like 10 years

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    LV-426
    Posts
    20,286
    Quote Originally Posted by Squirreljam View Post
    Thread makes me laugh, not in a bad way but at my 1st world problems. Iím 6í5Ē, 220 - but I canít ski anything longer than a 191 because Ö. it wonít fuckin fit in my rocket box. I have a yakima 16 and even 191s have to be twin tips and tha pair has to be split, both skis base down with the tips and tails tucked under the metal braces and curving up with the box. Itís been a barrier to the skis I want for like 10 years
    You've been skiing skis that are shorter than you want for a decade?

    Rocketboxes come in longer lengths too...
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •