Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Whatvest?

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Your BIL is a moron. Vests are the best thing ever for snowmobiling. That was the main reason I bought mine. Soooo much more comfortable than wearing a pack when you're moving around on the sled. Between the vest and a BCA tunnel bag I can carry my entire normal backcountry kit (plus extra beer, because snowmobiles) very comfortably.

Also great for sidecountry, comfortable on the lift. Anywhere that you're doing regular laps out the gate like Jackson, Telluride, etc. the vest is the way to go, no question. I'm totally fine with doing short skins or bootpacks in the vest and it carries skis just fine. I can't imagine why you'd ever want to use it on a day when you're carrying boots as well, and if I'm going for a big tour lift access or not I'd probably bring a normal pack.
    Haaaa he's a good dood but definitely fun to raz. Its more of just wearing the same as all his sled geek friends wear and discounting literally anything i'd suggest. His stuborness helps me raz tge shit out of him so it works

Sent from my SM-A536W using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    I think you're misunderstanding the use case for a vest. Is the critique that a vest isn't a 40L pack? Yeah...a vest or 15L pack of any sort is not suitable for certain situations where you need lots of survival gear or glacial gear or the like.

I carry a spare layer in mine no problem.
    My Corvette sucks at rock crawling, WTF bro.

In my Dakine airbag vest I can comfortably carry shovel and probe, first aid kit, emergency bivy, a small repair kit, 1L soft water bottle, radio body (handset on front), Patagonia Down Sweater, spare gloves, and a spare hat. Googles or sunglasses in the top pouch, helmet in the helmet carrier. In the front pockets goes food, keys, phone, InReach, compass, headlamp, etc. Skins go in sleeve on inside front for descent. That's a full kit for a typical day in the sidecountry for me. If I'm on the sled, more food, water, beer, repair supplies, first aid supplies, a warmer puffy, and additional other layers/gloves/hats/etc goes in the tunnel bag on the sled.

Damn! Received my Whatvest in almost 24 hrs from ordering. Crazy fast.

"Take off that vest. You look like Aladdin."

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP IN7RO View Post
    "Take off that vest. You look like Aladdin."
    Never been a vest guy. But this one is functional for so many activities!

has upstate potential…

fact.

Nice! They have a helmet holder add on as well. Prob get another 6er in that

Sent from my SM-A536W using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Your BIL is a moron. Vests are the best thing ever for snowmobiling. That was the main reason I bought mine. Soooo much more comfortable than wearing a pack when you're moving around on the sled. Between the vest and a BCA tunnel bag I can carry my entire normal backcountry kit (plus extra beer, because snowmobiles) very comfortably.

Also great for sidecountry, comfortable on the lift. Anywhere that you're doing regular laps out the gate like Jackson, Telluride, etc. the vest is the way to go, no question. I'm totally fine with doing short skins or bootpacks in the vest and it carries skis just fine. I can't imagine why you'd ever want to use it on a day when you're carrying boots as well, and if I'm going for a big tour lift access or not I'd probably bring a normal pack.
    Pretty much this. I've had my whatvest for 2 or 3 seasons. My primary use is snowmobiling and inbounds/sidecountry. It just rides soo much better then even my small packs and fits all my avy gear, food/beverages, extra layers etc and then there's also the front pockets. I wouldn't do a longer tour with it or if it was relatively warm although like has been mentioned you can just leave front open with just buckles.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    I personally wear the vest at certain resorts even if I'm not carrying a full avalanche kit or expecting to walk out a gate. Any ski area in which I want to avoid the base area for the day or take a bus/shuttle from parking/lodging == vest. Food, spare gloves, lenses, beers, etc.
    Yep. I have had mine on almost every day out west this year. Beers, room for my girls layers in the back, lunch, sandwiches. Throw a probe in for finding skis on an inbounds powder day.

They ski warm. It sucks if you wear too much, but then there is room in back for shed layers.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

The WhatVest Full Send is on sale for $225 in black only - $100 off retail.
    https://whatvest.com/products/full-send-whatvest-black

any chance anyone know someone that's trying to get rid of one of these in XS?

I have a super short torso and after buying and reselling (or trying on in shops) other vests (really wanted one with an airbag) in the smallest available size I've realized there just isn't an airbag vest small enough out there for me. They are all just too long to be functional (come over my butt etc). A girlfriend of mine patrols in the XS side hustle and I tried it on yesterday and it's BY FAR the best fit I've found yet... my plan is to get a custom one that's a little shorter than the XS once it's summer and they open back up for their custom orders but right now they're swamped and not making custom ones so I'd love to pick up a used one in XS to wear til about May if anyone is holding...

long shot, I know...
    "In the end, these things matter most: how well did you love? How fully did you live? How deeply did you let go?" - Buddha

"Come back alive, come back as friends, get to the top-in that order." -Mark Twight