Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Playful easy going ski for small terrain

So my home mountain is low angle, lots of trees and almost always soft snow.

I have plenty of TGR-approved skis for bigger terrain, but I'm looking for something that comes to life at slow speeds and is as playful as possible. My Line Pescado is great for powder days at said hill, but I'm looking for something for the rest of the days.

Line seems to be doing a lot of theese skis with the Sir Francis Bacon, Sakana and Blade.

Any suggestions?

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Moment Deathwish 104. Such a fun playful ski that can rail firm and get loose easily as well.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Bacon

Blades are great for soft and small terrain, but depending on how tight your trees/bumps are as they can be a handful bc the tips are so damn big. Makes it great for laying arcs and is playful for what it is, but still wants to carve instead of smear. My $0.02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by VTskibum View Post
    Blades are great for soft and small terrain, but depending on how tight your trees/bumps are as they can be a handful bc the tips are so damn big. Makes it great for laying arcs and is playful for what it is, but still wants to carve instead of smear. My $0.02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I was going to suggest Blade too, but OP mentioned trees and soft snow and Sakana immediately came to my mind. It's lighter, easier to flex but maintains the same playfulness and is great on groomers, shallow pow and spring slush. Blade is heavier, damper and is more durable.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

I haven't skied it, but the icelantic saba looks interesting as a lower speed, non-chargey, fun in soft snow kind of ski. Full rocker, 107 under foot, medium radius, not too stiff. Might be worth a look.

I have the Blades and SFB. The Blades are best used as a groomer ski (and are tons of fun) but the SFB are extremely versatile. I like them for exactly what you are describing and the carve shockingly well everywhere else.

That said, Line literally designed the Sakana to compliment the Pescado on thinner days so it seems like an obvious candidate.

SFB's or Sakana's for soft snow. The SFB is a ton of fun in tight spaces and soft snow. I daily'd mine until I started coaching big mountain and wanted something that worked better charging lines in variable snow.

FWIW, I'm selling my 2021/22 184's with Forza Pivot 14's. PM me if you're thinking of going that direction.

I got Volkl Blaze 94's with this in mind. They shine at slower speeds in spring snow and cruising mellow terrain.

I mounted mine with light telemark bindings as I wanted a soft tele ski.

The setup is light and gets tossed around in variable firm or warm manky conditions. What I'd expect for a ski that I bought to be easy skiing. Still they are pretty damp and not too chattery.

But they are also light and swing around fast. They tend to float over piles rather than blast through them, though light tele gear somewhat exaggerates those traits I think.

I could drive them harder and get more performance out of them with proper resort alpine bindings.

Could be what the OP is looking for.

Dynastar Mfree 108
    "Let's be careful out there."

QST 98

Quote Originally Posted by ma4b86 View Post
    So my home mountain is low angle, lots of trees and almost always soft snow.

I have plenty of TGR-approved skis for bigger terrain, but I'm looking for something that comes to life at slow speeds and is as playful as possible. My Line Pescado is great for powder days at said hill, but I'm looking for something for the rest of the days.

Line seems to be doing a lot of theese skis with the Sir Francis Bacon, Sakana and Blade.

Any suggestions?

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
    Blades since you have pow skis. They're amazing in everything but pow, and more fun on groomers (especially corn / slush) than any ski I've ever skied.

Rustler 9 or 10? Or how about any of the Enforcers?

Quote Originally Posted by Brewski2 View Post
    QST 98
    I came here to say this. Super maneuverable and fun, versatile ski

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Moment Deathwish 104. Such a fun playful ski that can rail firm and get loose easily as well.

is the flex much different than the mfree 108?

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    is the flex much different than the mfree 108?
    A little softer, esp underfoot and more round. It’s really light and due to the more progressive mount, -6, the swing weight is also minimal.

Bent Chetler 100 is pretty good for that kind of use. Light and easy to flick around, good pop and energy out of turns, more backbone and suspension than you would expect for something so light and fun. Can mount pretty much anywhere from centered to -10 depending on your style and preferences.

Line vision 108 is such a fun playful ski!

Armada stranger also comes to mind

Just picked up a pair of 190 Faction Prodigy 3.0s for everything the OP just said as my home terrain is pretty much exactly the same as they described. Have high hopes

Jeffrey 110

Mirus Cor should get a look.

Line sfb

QST 98
    Enforcer 99
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Like most ski questions, this is another Know Thyself moment.

Height? Weight? Preferred ski length? Preferred mount point? Preferred underfoot width? Preferred flex pattern?

There are so many fun skis in this category now. Gotta narrow it down somehow.

Voile V6 is another option.