Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 7 WT recs

7 WT recs

Looking for a rod a to throw a heavy stuff to trout, bass and inshore stripers. Sinking and floating lines. 9' or maybe a touch shorter. Will look for something mid priced on sale or used, such as the IMX Pro that was recently discontinued and seems well liked in that weight. Any recs on where I should start looking? Thanks.

7 WT recs

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Looking for a rod a to throw a heavy stuff to trout, bass and inshore stripers. Sinking and floating lines. 9' or maybe a touch shorter. Will look for something mid priced on sale or used, such as the IMX Pro that was recently discontinued and seems well liked in that weight. Any recs on where I should start looking? Thanks.
    I would look hard at the Orvis Recon. I threw a buddies a couple weeks ago and was very impressed for a mid priced rod.
    I have been a sage guy for decades but the new warranty policy has me switching brand loyalty’s and the Orvis rods are filling that bill for me.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

I’ve got the old Recon in a 9’6 6wt and I’ve liked it for heavier freshwater applications. My biggest gripe with this rod is it’s super fragile. I’ve probably broke it 4 times. The new recon2 might be better is this regard.

I have a TFO bvk 7wt that’s been an awesome cheap steamer rod. Lots of power, ok feel. Has taken a beating well, pretty much always have it rigged in the boat. If you can still find one of these floating around, I’d scoop without hesitation.

On the higher end, Scott sector 7wt is amazing. A joy to slap sink tip and big articulated meat all day. A used discontinued Meridian or Radian 7wt would be a score if you can find one.

Have the 7 wght Recon2. Picked it up a few years back after they came out. Use it for throwing streamers in Colorado and have really liked it.

Consider one of these, they punch way above their weight considering the price.

https://www.bigyflyco.com/BigYTheBos...d20-detail.htm

Al’s sporting goods is having a 20% off sale. Code works on all Orvis, Winston, GLomis, Douglas, and Echo. Does not work on Sage rods. They’ve got a bunch of nice rods on there.

Have these
    Orvis recon2 and Helios 7wt
    Echo Streamer X 7wt

Anyone have experience with the G, Loomis NRX+ or NRX+LP? Or the Douglas Sky G? Would like another 6 wt. mainly to throw big drys and dry dropper rigs.

https://www.als.com/
    Last edited by jpcm; 04-02-2023 at 09:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jpcm View Post
    Al’s sporting goods is having a 20% off sale. Code works on all Orvis, Winston, GLomis, and Echo. Does not work on Sage rods. They’ve got a bunch of nice rods on there.

Have these
    Orvis recon2 and Helios 7wt
    Echo Streamer X 7wt

Anyone have experience with the G, Loomis NRX+ or NRX+LP? Would like another 6 wt. mainly to throw big drys and dry dropper rigs.

https://www.als.com/
    I was using a Cabelas 5 wt cheapie to throw dry flies, I bought a 690-4 NRX+ LP because I wanted something with more heft. It was my first somewhat expensive rod, I like it a lot. It has a lot of feel to it, I can cast it a lot better than my cheapie mainly because I can feel what my line is doing throughout the cast. I use it for just what you are looking for, terrestrials with a small tandem dry or a nymph dropper.

To the original question I had the same conundrum, I went with a Sage Sonic 7wt. Got the 9’6”, it’ll be a boat rod and I wanted the extra six inches of clearance over the rower. I whacked Dibs in the jaw last year, I’m sure it had more to do with my shitty casting but figured the extra length couldn’t hurt.

I haven’t thrown it yet, I’ll see in two weeks whether it was a good choice.

Thanks for the input folks. I went with a IMX Pro V2 8'10" Streamer rod. I got to cast one with sink tip and it was very good. Good feel on shorter casts, but it has the power to lift a whole lot of line.

Douglas Sky G
    I've cast the 6 weight. It reminds me of.... an excellent 5wt. If you want to throw dries with a heavier line it would be great. Wouldn't be my pick for heavier loads.

at the bottom of the worst air in the USA
    I threw a 9’6” 7 wt One for a few years. Fast and brittle. Broke 3 sections of it. Been throwing a Sage Sonic 9’6” 7wt for a couple years and like it alot. It throws a lot like the old Z-axis in the same configuration. Great rods in the mid-range price. I also use a 10’ 6 wt Z for streamers. Hard to find anymore, but nice roads for long chucking, heavy nymphing, and soft enough to throw dries if needed. Kind of a Swiss Army knife imo.

I recently bought IMX Pro 7wt at 30% off. I have it in a 6wt and it was one of my favorite streamer rods (much prefer it over the StreamerX). However, it does tend to struggle throwing really big articulated junk hence why I bought the 7wt which solved that issue. And I ever break it, for $150 I'll have the IMX Pro V2 in my hands 2 days later (unlike Sage which took 4 months and $200 to repair my Z-Axis).

For a budget option, I've been pretty impressed with the Redington Vice in 7wt. Fast action, and plenty of oomph to huck the big articulated stuff. It's not my first choice to use for dries, but I have swapped out the usual sinktip for a floating line and thrown some bushier caddis patterns with decent success.
    Montani Semper Liberi

at the bottom of the worst air in the USA
    Quote Originally Posted by ColMan View Post
    And I ever break it, for $150 I'll have the IMX Pro V2 in my hands 2 days later (unlike Sage which took 4 months and $200 to repair my Z-Axis).
    I would say that is about as huDGe as it gets. Sages’ turn around time and cost for repairing the Dino-rods is excessive.

Quote Originally Posted by ColMan View Post
    unlike Sage which took 4 months and $200 to repair
    This is why I didn't buy a used Sage Payload offered at a very good price. I also didn't consider the Streamer X because my experience with Echo rods is that they are notably fragile. Maybe the Streamer X is plenty durable, but I'm over the brand even if it tends to offer good bang for your buck.

Thanks for the heads up. Just got my son a Fenwick Aetos 4wt for his first rod. I have read good things about them and the discount helped! Also got 5 percent off using active junky.

I have a 6wt Douglas skyG and really like it. It is my go to drake or stonefly dry rod, ie bigger flies. Also serves as a longer distance pmd rod as well. But I also found that rio outbound short streamer line in 5wt is a really good companion. Never felt such a light streamer setup before and it has reasonable backbone. Anyways wanted to try the Loomis nrx+ 6wt but between this and my 9'6" 6wt sage x for heavy nymphing I feel really well covered

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
    Day Man. Fighter of the Night Man. Champion of the Sun. Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by teleee View Post
    I have been a sage guy for decades but the new warranty policy has me switching brand loyalty’s and the Orvis rods are filling that bill for me.
    What exactly has changed with their warranty?

Upon reading on their website the serial # business is a bit strange considering there is no way to tell the serial # letter designation before purchasing unless fondling in a store.

I'm in the market for a 7wt, will be my first rod purchase in quite awhile and was thinking about balling out on an R8 core.

I have a Helios I'd be willing to part with if anyone is interested. I'd go half price..say $450 including shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by swimmy View Post
    I have a Helios I'd be willing to part with if anyone is interested. I'd go half price..say $450 including shipping.
    Is it a current 3D/3F model?

I wish there was a way to cast these damn things beforehand. Don't think I'd have a problem adapting to whatever rod, but it would be nice before shelling out so much moolah.

If east or bust doesn’t want it and it’s a 7 weight I’m in.

Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Yep 7 wt 3D. Two years old and fished less than a dozen times.

East of Bust has first shot. If he's not interested, its yours teleee.

Sounds good. Just let me know. East or Bust no pressure I need another rod like I need a second dick.

Alright guys, give me one day to think. I should have a bit of time tomorrow to pop into town to hold one at least. Will give a go/no go around this time or sooner tomorrow

duplicate
    Last edited by east or bust; 06-22-2023 at 09:01 AM. Reason: duplicate

I'm gunna pounce on this. Shooting you a PM now

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    I'm gunna pounce on this. Shooting you a PM now
    You totally should that’s a killer price for a great rod.

FYI Edge rods are $495 and they have 30% pretty often. I have 3. They are amazing.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda