10 caught, 3 killed, 4 injured, heliskiing in BC Canada

March 2. That is a huge tragic incident . Size 3 (D3 in SWAG speak). Skier triggered. 9 guests 1 guide caught. All three killed were from the same group.

"Rescue crews responded quickly, and included teams from CMH Heli-skiing and Panorama, which sent 12 professional ski patrollers and avalanche technicians by helicopter to help."

Near Panorama/Invermere, BC
    https://globalnews.ca/news/9526073/i...rman-survivor/

RK's press conference "Saddest day ever"
    Last edited by summit; 03-24-2023 at 07:01 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Damn. BC has been having a tough season. Brutal. Vibes..

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Holy shit. That is a bad story. I am so so sorry to hear.

Some previous discussion and links here: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...d.php?t=351808
    Last edited by BCMtnHound; 03-24-2023 at 07:57 PM.

Poor woman lost her husband and father. As rough as it gets.

….
    Last edited by BCMtnHound; 03-24-2023 at 07:58 PM. Reason: Duplication

Bay Street Redux.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    Bay Street Redux.
    But, we'll see if this one ends up in court.
    "True love is much easier to find with a helicopter"

Gordie's presentation is still haunting after all these years, the victim that was recovered in 2 pieces. Did the guide go back to guiding?
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

She did... involved with new operations as late as 6 years ago
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Great to hear, thx.

Is it normal for av Canada not to release report when it’s a commercial operation involved? Or does it just take a long time to get it right due to the likely potential it gets used in litigation

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    Is it normal for av Canada not to release report when it’s a commercial operation involved? Or does it just take a long time to get it right due to the likely potential it gets used in litigation
    Avalanche Canada typically don’t release detailed post incident analysis to the public, unlike the very useful ones their American counterparts provide. In Canada, most of the sensible reporting and analysis happens behind the industry subscription paywall of INFOEX, and the public just gets propaganda.

Gotcha thanks

Avalanche Canada are a non-governmental not for profit, so they have no authority to obtain information from anyone that doesn't want to volunteer it. Investigation of avalanche fatalities is the responsibility of the coroner.

Right ok. Thanks that makes sense.

You can read a report on av Canada under resources and then the incident reports tabs

Quote Originally Posted by crashidy View Post
    You can read a report on av Canada under resources and then the incident reports tabs
    That just provides a list of user submitted reports. There’s nothing on the RK incident. The fatality database has a short summary.

Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post
    That just provides a list of user submitted reports. There’s nothing on the RK incident. The fatality database has a short summary.
    Yes sorry. That is what I was referring to. As previously mentioned though we hear almost nothing from industry regarding an the incidents they have each year. Unless you get infoex.

I wonder if there is really much more information on Infoex - particularly as regards actions and decisions by guides and clients. If there is legal action surely anything reported on Infoex would be potential evidence and couldn't be kept out of court.

Another disaster, so sorry for all involved and their families, vibes, and RIP!