Check Out Our Shop
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 121
  1. #26
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Posts
    16,913
    Quote Originally Posted by Touring_Sedan View Post
    Tore my rotator cuff a couple of years ago, had it repaired 6 months later. Pain subsided after a week or so but I couldn't lift my arm above my chest or behind my back without a bit of pain and absolutely zero strength. Could ride a bike, DH included, and do most other activities without any issues.

    Also, didn't we tell you to get that fucking thing fixed then? Do it soon so you can be recovering during mud season.
    Had ortho appt this AM. Getting MRI and CT. The surgical assistant/doc I saw isn't super confident in it being super minor. Arm behind my back trying to reach up my spine definitely hurts and and is weak. Overhead is weaker than it has been last two years. Probably just need to get the full fix.

    Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Where the sheets have no stains
    Posts
    22,292
    Don't know what to tell you. I will be post op 1 year on the 16th.

    My symptoms were, pain in/near AC joint when trying to raise my right arm out to the side or up the front along with weakness. Pain level of 8/10. Using my right arm for just about anything was a non starter, unable to reach around to the back and up high.

    11 months later, most pain is gone, still hitting the gym and am sore afterwards, can do 60 second planks but not easy. 9/10 times the Ortho will start with PT. Sam and Shannon at Lone Peak 4 Corners were excellent.

    "if" you get cut, there goes bike season until at least end of July.

    Good luck
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

    "Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

  3. #28
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Posts
    16,913
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    Don't know what to tell you. I will be post op 1 year on the 16th.

    My symptoms were, pain in/near AC joint when trying to raise my right arm out to the side or up the front along with weakness. Pain level of 8/10. Using my right arm for just about anything was a non starter, unable to reach around to the back and up high.

    11 months later, most pain is gone, still hitting the gym and am sore afterwards, can do 60 second planks but not easy. 9/10 times the Ortho will start with PT. Sam and Shannon at Lone Peak 4 Corners were excellent.

    "if" you get cut, there goes bike season until at least end of July.

    Good luck
    Thanks. Dade at Lone Peak in Belgrade is a good friend of mine, so I would go back to him. With this injury 2 years ago we hit the PT/gym hard and I got to about 90%. Their concern is that this is a resurgence of the instability from the previous injury. I have zero labrum. 9/10 people would have already had the surgery 2 years ago. I think I might be past that point now. 3 of 4 surgeons said I needed the whole thing fixed in April of 2022. I went with the "Mayyyyybe you can PT your way out of this." Gave it a shot, raced some bikes, etc. I'm guessing we need a full fix now.

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Granite, UT
    Posts
    2,421
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Thanks. Dade at Lone Peak in Belgrade is a good friend of mine, so I would go back to him. With this injury 2 years ago we hit the PT/gym hard and I got to about 90%. Their concern is that this is a resurgence of the instability from the previous injury. I have zero labrum. 9/10 people would have already had the surgery 2 years ago. I think I might be past that point now. 3 of 4 surgeons said I needed the whole thing fixed in April of 2022. I went with the "Mayyyyybe you can PT your way out of this." Gave it a shot, raced some bikes, etc. I'm guessing we need a full fix now.
    My recovery was a bit quicker. Got cut around Thanksgiving. On the trainer in the basement within a couple of weeks. Started PT within a month. Was back on the fatbike by mid January. Doc said I could try skiing if I could guarantee I wouldn't over extend my shoulder around to the back during a pole plant. I didn't risk it. When the one year mark rolled around there were times when I couldn't remember which shoulder it was. I had to touch it to remember which one had the numbness. At most, I have a couple of weeks a year when it gets angry, but it usually subsides fairly quickly. Since having it fixed, I haven't feel the need to hold back. I still ski and bike as I used to. I also have to carry a 20lb camera and 15 lb tripod on that shoulder every day, along with various other equipment. YMMV.

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Where the sheets have no stains
    Posts
    22,292
    ^^^ Numbness.

    I have had loss of sensation in my arm since the surgery. Bitch of it is is moves around. Some days the wrist, some days the back of the forearm below the elbow, some days no loss at all.

    @ WRG is this the shoulder you injured in Moab?

    Gave it a shot, raced some bikes, etc. I'm guessing we need a full fix now.
    As in replacement or reconstruction? FWIW I was told rehab from replacement is way easier/painful. Me, I like to keep my parts.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

    "Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Granite, UT
    Posts
    2,421
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    ^^^ Numbness.

    I have had loss of sensation in my arm since the surgery. Bitch of it is is moves around. Some days the wrist, some days the back of the forearm below the elbow, some days no loss at all.

    @ WRG is this the shoulder you injured in Moab?



    As in replacement or reconstruction? FWIW I was told rehab from replacement is way easier/painful. Me, I like to keep my parts.
    My numbness is just at the incision points and only skin deep. No other loss of sensation at all.

  7. #32
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Posts
    16,913
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    ^^^ Numbness.

    I have had loss of sensation in my arm since the surgery. Bitch of it is is moves around. Some days the wrist, some days the back of the forearm below the elbow, some days no loss at all.

    @ WRG is this the shoulder you injured in Moab?



    As in replacement or reconstruction? FWIW I was told rehab from replacement is way easier/painful. Me, I like to keep my parts.
    Same shoulder as before. Seem like this injury may be more rotator cuff. I'm assuming if they are gonna go in and fix a potential new injury they would fix the labrum that is gone from the last injury while they have me under? IDK.

  8. #33
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Posts
    16,913
    So I got the results back from MRI and CT. Looks like no "new" injury, but pre-existing bony Bankart/glenoid rim damage is obviously still there. Those don't fix themselves. I have another week until my actual follow up with the Doc. Amazing how much it hurts in the scapula/closest to the spine vs where the actual injury is. It's clunkier than ever. Falling on it 4-6 weeks ago did not help and maybe somehow made it worse. My hunch is "Well, we tried to PT you out of this and got 2 years of use, but it's never going to be right until it's actually fixed."

    6ish month recovery I think assuming they need to try to anchor the bone and repair the blown out Labrum. Mentally trying to prepare for an entire summer of sitting around. Endless work to do on the house that I won't be able to do etc etc.

  9. #34
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    slc
    Posts
    18,081
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Mentally trying to prepare for an entire summer of sitting around.
    Recalibrate that attitude or yer fucked. Surgery is going to come with a bunch more PT which is now your new job. Relatively quickly you'll be able to hike and do lower body stuff in the gym. Cancel the pity party and get to work.

  10. #35
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Posts
    16,913
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Recalibrate that attitude or yer fucked. Surgery is going to come with a bunch more PT which is now your new job. Relatively quickly you'll be able to hike and do lower body stuff in the gym. Cancel the pity party and get to work.
    I know. It's never a good time for a major fix. I'll sit on the trainer and do some big hikes when I'm not doing PT. Gonna try to ride the MTB and just see how it goes. If it's doable I'll do a week in the desert just to get right as I'm sure surgery will be at least 4-6 weeks out.

    Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

  11. #36
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Where the sheets have no stains
    Posts
    22,292
    Best of luck, 6 months sounds pretty optimistic. I went in for 1 year follow up yesterday.

    Some good news, some not so good. Ortho did mention that I am probably going to develop some arthritis in the ball/socket at some point.

    ROM was very good, he also said I will need to stay on strength training for the remainder of my life. That after this surgery that will be my preventative maintenance.

    Went down to BS today for some work and a 1.5 hr torture session with an LMT. She really worked the hell out of my neck/shoulder.

    Dan is 100% right, I was amazed at how much it helped just getting out and walking post op. PT became an event I looked forward to up to the point where it was obvious that they had done all they could and now it was up to me.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

    "Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

  12. #37
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Posts
    16,913
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    Best of luck, 6 months sounds pretty optimistic. I went in for 1 year follow up yesterday.

    Some good news, some not so good. Ortho did mention that I am probably going to develop some arthritis in the ball/socket at some point.

    ROM was very good, he also said I will need to stay on strength training for the remainder of my life. That after this surgery that will be my preventative maintenance.

    Went down to BS today for some work and a 1.5 hr torture session with an LMT. She really worked the hell out of my neck/shoulder.

    Dan is 100% right, I was amazed at how much it helped just getting out and walking post op. PT became an event I looked forward to up to the point where it was obvious that they had done all they could and now it was up to me.
    I'm 40 and I already have arthritis in the joint as evidenced by the imaging just done (and it fucking hurts all the time). Probably allowing the shoulder joint to just clunk around for 2 years didn't help.

    I think I was due for the repair anyway, but this time last year I was much stronger. Was lifting with a mountain bike team all last winter. Free access to an amazing gym and buddies to lift with. When that wasn't a thing this winter I didn't motivate to join a regular gym (you get spoiled being able to lift in a closed gym with the best available equipment) and started doing lots of hot yoga. Hot yoga is fucking amazing, but I swear it made my shoulder too loose.

  13. #38
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    692
    ^have you tried dead hangs frequently / every day?

    I worked through/am working some thoracic outlet syndrome recently aka "sciatica of the shoulder girdle" and found dead hangs to be a good daily add and complement to yoga/hot yoga, keeping my shoulders loose but tied down my back so to speak. Took four months to work through from my first oh fuck moment. Not totally over. Lost a lot of sleep.

    I do this every day too for my rotator cuffs it helps set the tone for the day and takes a few min

    https://youtu.be/d_6LV_4_WHM?si=cwyMxHUpKWqU1Q10



    Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

  14. #39
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Where the sheets have no stains
    Posts
    22,292
    Tons of You-tube videos on Rotator Cuff. That one is a damn good one. Thx
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

    "Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

  15. #40
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Posts
    16,913
    Surgeon wants to do the Bankart Repair and possible Remplissage depending on how bad the defect looks on the humeral head. Said I am already really strong and no amount of getting jacked and going crazy in the gym will prevent the socket from wanting to dislocate to the front when I am doing stuff with my arm back or overhead.

    Haven't scheduled yet. Trying to go to the desert once to ride my bike and Costa Rica and see if I can even paddle a surfboard. Part of me wants to push it out and part of me wants to just go into surgery on 4/12 which is his next available. Ughhhh.

  16. #41
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    PNW -> MSO
    Posts
    7,943
    Just get it done man. Before you fuck it up worse.

  17. #42
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Posts
    16,913
    Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Just get it done man. Before you fuck it up worse.
    You are probably right.

  18. #43
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Where the sheets have no stains
    Posts
    22,292
    You probably don't want to have to opt for the joint replacement in 5 years.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

    "Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

  19. #44
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    northern BC
    Posts
    31,310
    nosurprise that there used to be lots of bankart threads on Boatertalk, isnt Bankart a 2 yr rehab ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

  20. #45
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Posts
    16,913
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    nosurprise that there used to be lots of bankart threads on Boatertalk, isnt Bankart a 2 yr rehab ?
    I'd imagine it's VERY common for kayak guys. All that extra leverage when upside down underwater trying to swim and/or just get upright again.

    Doc said, "You MIGHT be able to pull your bow back in September if you got cut before May 1st". The recovery is all over the place online. Pro MTB guys that can do PT full time.....4 months back on the MTB. Realistically I won't be riding hard before snow falls again in the fall. I'll be doing PT as hard as possible though.

  21. #46
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    8,939
    I had the full open bankhart 20+ years ago. I was skiing in 4ish months. Do it. You don't have a choice. Half a year of your life is NBD.

    Sent from my SM-X200 using Tapatalk

  22. #47
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Posts
    16,913
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    I had the full open bankhart 20+ years ago. I was skiing in 4ish months. Do it. You don't have a choice. Half a year of your life is NBD.

    Sent from my SM-X200 using Tapatalk
    You are correct. It's not a big deal. I want to get cut sooner than later really. I wake up in pain before doing anything with my arm in the AM. I want to just try to get it done on the 12th now if possible.

  23. #48
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Where the sheets have no stains
    Posts
    22,292
    Tested my repair job today on a bike ride. Got distracted and dropped a front wheel into a rut and crashed, hard.

    Everything seems to still function.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

    "Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

  24. #49
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    In a van... down by the river
    Posts
    13,985
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    Tested my repair job today on a bike ride. Got distracted and dropped a front wheel into a rut and crashed, hard.

    Everything seems to still function.
    Dude. You're too old to be crashing!

    Name:  wiggum-im-helping1.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  7.2 KB

  25. #50
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Where the sheets have no stains
    Posts
    22,292
    No shit?

    Kinda sore today. And 2 nice spots of road rash.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

    "Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •