Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Durable gloves

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    I tried Mechanix gloves. They were great...until they weren't.

And they went downhill quickly, within a single ride. No crashes involved. No idea why, but after this happened a second time I didn't buy them again.

Attachment 452926
    Weird. I've never seen Mechanix gloves with the yellow shit on the fingertips, and a quick browse of their website doesn't show them either. Did you get ripped off with a counterfeit pair?

Quote Originally Posted by Roxtar View Post
    Blood NEVER ruins the look. Ask any chick.
    Examples from my personal experiences:
    Attachment 452880
    Attachment 452881
    Attachment 452882
    so the thing i been wondering all day ^^ is this more or less uncomfortable than sweating ?

notice on the gloves i posted they had double thick palms
    Last edited by XXX-er; 03-23-2023 at 09:12 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    so the thing i been wondering all day ^^ is this more or less uncomfortable than sweating ?
    I'll take stitches once or twice over wearing elbow pads ever. Fuck those things.

Coming up on 30 years of never wearing elbow pads and no stitches needed yet.

Huge fan of sweet protection’s gloves. Their 21-22 pro version are on sale right now for ~$20. Like said before they are a consumable. I will go through 1-2 pairs a year.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    I'll take stitches once or twice over wearing elbow pads ever. Fuck those things.

Coming up on 30 years of never wearing elbow pads and no stitches needed yet.
    well then just say you don't wana wear padz or shut yer festering gob

but don't make up BS that people can call you on

well then just say you don't wana wear padz or shut yer festering gob

but don't make up BS that people can call you on
    What BS am I making up?

I said I don't wear pads when it's hot out and you got all worked up about it. I wear knee pads when it's not hot, or when I'm riding lifts / shuttling. I don't wear elbow pads regardless of temperature, because elbow pads suck.

Full disclosure: I don't wear a full pressure suit, hip pads, ankle protectors, wrist protectors, or a neck brace. And I don't wear a full face if I'm pedaling uphill.

"" I generally don't bother with any pads above 85° or so unless I'm hitting something sketchy.

The point of protection is to minimize discomfort in the event of a crash. But if the protection is the source of the discomfort, then it's not really serving its purpose ""

"" I generally don't bother with any pads above 85° or so unless I'm hitting something sketchy.

The point of protection is to minimize discomfort in the event of a crash. But if the protection is the source of the discomfort, then it's not really serving its purpose ""
    Yup. Accurate. Knee pads when temps are reasonable, none when it's hot.

When people say "pads," I assume that means knee pads, since I don't know a single person that regularly rides with any pads beside knees.

I know or see lots of people wearing knee and elbow padz

accidents happen by accident becuz they weren't planned and accidents don't stop becuz its hot

and so is 20+ stitches more or less uncomfortable than getting sweaty was a valid question

saying " i don't wana wear padz " is valid but you might get called on bogus reasoning

Quote Originally Posted by Touring_Sedan View Post
    Weird. I've never seen Mechanix gloves with the yellow shit on the fingertips, and a quick browse of their website doesn't show them either. Did you get ripped off with a counterfeit pair?
    Those might be mechanic's gloves but I don't think they are Mechanix(tm) gloves.
    https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/searc...tml?q=mechanix

Whenever they go on sale at py Tire, I try and grab a set. As long as you don't pay more than say $20 a pair for them, I think they are a fine disposable glove. Mostly for a lightweight work glove though

I've found that the local powersports emporium (as well as the online options like FortNine here in Canada) have dirt bike gloves by fox, Troy lee, FlyLite, Thor etc that are about the same price as the Mechanix - so that is my go to these days.

https://fortnine.ca/en/dirt-bike-mot...-gloves?gender[0]=1906&product_list_dir=asc&product_list_order=pric e

CT had some good feeling mechanix that would come on 60% off but they quit bringing in the particular model I want so I have gone to those 26$ Watsons at Evergreen

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    When people say "pads," I assume that means knee pads, since I don't know a single person that regularly rides with any pads beside knees.
    I have a pair of Pearl Izumi Summit D3O elbows I throw on for most descents. Negligible weight and pack space and have saved me from a serving of elbow burger several times. At my age I'm pretty over elbow burger if I can avoid it.

Quote Originally Posted by Touring_Sedan View Post
    Dunno. This pic is from about 10 yrs ago so they probably had different designs back then.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Looks like Free The Powder is out of the Bike Glove game.
    That's really unfortunate, their gloves were awesome and I only have a couple pairs left...
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

I hate thick gloves, or any that bunch up in the palm. Unfortunately a lot of thin gloves also have stupid mesh on the sides of the fingers that rips out easily. But I have found that the Leatt 1.0 Griprs hold up really, really well. They run very snug though, so bear that in mind if you're on the fence. I've got 2 pairs of them that have lasted over a year and still look new. They can occasionally be found on sale for ~$25 if you're not picky about color. They also go through the wash just fine.

Best feeling glove I've had are the latest version of Dakine Thrillium, but they're expensive because they use actual goat leather palms. They feel very thin, and even when they get sweaty, they remain incredibly tacky on your grips. The stitching is the inside-out pattern that Hestra uses, which lets them stay pretty snug to your fingers. On the previous version, they used the stupid mesh and I went through 3 pairs of them. The latest version has leather on the sides of the fingers though. They're my favorite, but I haven't been wearing them during the winter because I don't want to ruin the leather by washing them after they get wet and muddy every ride.

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    These have been good

https://www.truckgloves.com
    I went ahead and bought a pair of their gloves

Thanks never heard of them Picked the most expensive pair they sell
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

anybody wash their gloves & padz, maybe thro a little boot grease on the gloves or is it bad luck ?

anybody wash their gloves & padz, maybe thro a little boot grease on the gloves or is it bad luck ?
    I tried using the Hestra glove balm on an older pair of Dakines after the leather started to get pretty dried out from repeated washing, and it did a bit, but never totally restored them.

My gloves eventually smell like a dog ate some shit and vomited it up, so yeah, gotta wash them. Don't clean pads often, but when I do, I just douse them in Bac-Out, let it sit for a while, then rinse and dry in the sun. I do the same with my shoes, but skip the rinse cause it says you can do that, and it seems to keep the stench at bay.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

This is going to sound stupid but when my gloves start to get really rank I wash my hands with dish soap while wearing the gloves, truly astounding results.

not ^^ really, I thro them in the washing M/C along with the padz

Durable gloves

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    I tried Mechanix gloves. They were great...until they weren't.

And they went downhill quickly, within a single ride. No crashes involved. No idea why, but after this happened a second time I didn't buy them again.

Attachment 452926
    FYI - That’s not a mechanix. Different wrist strap placement / shape.

But yeah - in general. You want your gloves to last, buy moto or mechanix. If you want light weight, comfort, dexterity; buy MTB gloves but expect to replace them often.

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

I just go to home depot and buy whatever looks like a biking glove (but are considered work gloves, mechanics gloves, etc); they've worked great for me and are cheap.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Durable gloves

After years of treating mtb gear like delicate lace, I finally convinced wife that something designed to be thrashed can not be considered “delicate”.
    Gloves, pads, armor all go in the wash now. Then air dry. This has been one of the most noteworthy improvements in our biking satisfaction. Zero issues with accelerated deterioration.

Edit; when gloves are straight up muddy, I use the above mentioned hand washing technique before tossing in with the rest.

However many are in a shit ton.

Leatt makes the most durable of the various thin/nice fitting gloves I’ve tried.

But the pro tip for glove durability is regularly hand washing them. It’s the dirt that acts like an abrasive between fibers that’s the root cause. Same with the stretchy fabric on your knee pads.

The stank factor reduction is a side benefit.