Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Durable gloves

Durable gloves

I keep wearing through the palm. In the last year I have worn through free the powder, pearl izuma, lizard skin and fox. Any suggestions?

Buy cheap. Replace often.

Unless you want a pretty hot glove, I don't think a durable option exists.

Gloves are for riding, not furious masturbating. Try to keep the friction down.

The Truck mtb gloves that were gifted to me 2y ago have proven to be the most durable I've ever had.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

I would look around/ try on a bunch of work glove until you find a construction you can put up with on the bike, would try a doz pair on until i find something I like

I been using Mechanix & Watson but you probaby won't find them down thar

any time you can see a lot of wear on a glove just sploooge on some liquid ureathane
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I've had good luck with Dakine. Their Cross X has been pretty durable
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

Mechanic/work gloves or moto gloves

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

These have been good

https://www.truckgloves.com

Durable gloves

I’m with toast, gotta have minimal material, can’t stand hand sweaters. Dakine last pretty well for how little material is used in their super lightweight gloves. I’ve never worn the palm on a pair of gloves, though. I always poke through the fingertips.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Oakley factory pilot gloves have been my favorite for many years now. Getting hard to find them though, last time I found them was closeout at $20/pr and so I stocked up.

Never had a problem with the palms wearing out. The palm is one piece and there is no annoying velcro strap on the wrist.

The fingertips are usually what ends up failing after a year or so, either fabric starts to separate or they holes in the leather. I can usually sew them up a few times before I just cut the fingertips off. That usually gets me an extra 6-12mos out of them.

Leatt have been great for me on both the bike and moto

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I would look around/ try on a bunch of work glove until you find a construction you can put up with on the bike, would try a doz pair on until i find something I like

I been using Mechanix & Watson but you probaby won't find them down thar

any time you can see a lot of wear on a glove just sploooge on some liquid ureathane
    This works for me until things get really hot. But I've learned I'm different from most people. I don't like a glove to fit like a condom.
    Looks like Free The Powder is out of the Bike Glove game.
    However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    This works for me until things get really hot. But I've learned I'm different from most people. I don't like a glove to fit like a condom.
    Looks like Free The Powder is out of the Bike Glove game.
    call me cra cra but I have this idea that mtn biking is hot, dirty, possibly dangerous pastime where I might get hurt if I go down without my gloves/ elbow padz/ knee padz for protection but apparenly somefolks skip the protection cuz its too hot

I've asked so when its hot do you just not crash ?

the silence is deafening

Yeah, that's pretty much it.

I generally don't bother with any pads above 85° or so unless I'm hitting something sketchy.

The point of protection is to minimize discomfort in the event of a crash. But if the protection is the source of the discomfort, then it's not really serving its purpose.

Big fan of the Mechanix. They come in a billion sizes, and you can find them pretty much everywhere, including a two pack at Sam's or Costco (can't remember which.) I'll get about half a season out of a pair and then they get retired to yard work. FWIW, I find them to breathe a bit better if you cut off the velcro straps.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Yeah, that's pretty much it.

I generally don't bother with any pads above 85° or so unless I'm hitting something sketchy.

The point of protection is to minimize discomfort in the event of a crash. But if the protection is the source of the discomfort, then it's not really serving its purpose.
    I'm sure that makes sense to someone, maybe your wife ?

I'm sure that makes sense to someone
    So you wear full armor all the time, even if you're doing a mellow ride?

If I am riding trails at the mtnbike area its helmet/ gloves/ elbow padz/ knee padz

cuz one can accidentally go down in an instant, thats why its called it an accident

besides i look really cool at the craft brew apres ride veritably dripping with protective padding

blood would just ruin the whole look

check out the aqs fix on the mechanix, you wana do the fix before you get a hole, the watsons are the newest 26$ from the chainsaw store, no leather in that glove period, so with all that rubber on the knuckles i could punch a wall or even an e-biker and not hurt my hand

except i am an e-biker

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bikegloves.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	135.0 KB 
ID:	452853
    Last edited by XXX-er; 03-22-2023 at 08:36 PM.

I don’t think there’s much sense debating how much padding we each choose to use. Like gloves, it’s about preference.
    I do find that better riders are better at both not crashing AND crashing without getting hurt. So it doesn’t surprise me to find myself riding the shuttle with World Cup pros who are bare handed and never wear elbow pads, while I’m sweating my ass off with elbow pads, Leatt neck brace and leather work gloves. It’s just a choice based on my reality vs theirs.

However many are in a shit ton.

Really liked these. Right up until the day I drove off with them on my rear bumper.
    https://www.pearlizumi.com/collectio...42471262912683
    Can't comment on the durability due to driving off with them on...
    ...but they're designed to be worn for both riding and trail work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

call me cra cra but I have this idea that mtn biking is hot, dirty, possibly dangerous pastime where I might get hurt if I go down without my gloves/ elbow padz/ knee padz for protection but apparenly somefolks skip the protection cuz its too hot

the silence is deafening
    I almost always ride with kneepads. Not because I'm better than everyone else, but because I'm probably worse than everyone else. Also, I am really fond of my knees. Same with gloves and a helmet.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    I don’t think there’s much sense debating how much padding we each choose to use. Like gloves, it’s about preference.
    I do find that better riders are better at both not crashing AND crashing without getting hurt. So it doesn’t surprise me to find myself riding the shuttle with World Cup pros who are bare handed and never wear elbow pads, while I’m sweating my ass off with elbow pads, Leatt neck brace and leather work gloves. It’s just a choice based on my reality vs theirs.
    Age is also a factor. Wrecking is inevitable, but as you get older, healing back to 100% isn't. Knee pads are cheap insurance and they've gotten comfy/breathable enough that it's not terrible always wearing some. I'm still pretty stubborn about elbow pads, though.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

I remember kids not doing up shoe laces, hucking something and their shoe falls off mid huck, so I always thot it was about being cool/ lazy/ both, especially since some mfger would give them the stuff for free and maybe even pay them

in any case there are other gloves to wear for mtnbiking than bike gloves but not just any mechanix-type work glove is going to work for me so I never pass a work glove display with out giving them a try-on

and IME if you go for the work glove its gona be bulkier so you might want to be using a really thin grip
    Last edited by XXX-er; 03-23-2023 at 10:47 AM.

Gloves are consumables. I go through at least a couple pairs a year. I've tried the work glove route and the bulk sucks for me. Bunches up and just doesn't have a good feel on grip IMHO. I use Leatt, MSR and 100%. All available for cheap on RockyMtnATV. Also, if you wear a watch, it is nice to have the closure Velcro on the underside of your wrist so it doesn't interfere with buttons. I MTB and moto in them and early season with all the cutting, they get their share of bar oil and Petro on em. Personal fave is Leatt 3.5, they are $35. MSR are a bit cheaper and just lack the protective tops of the gloves.

Yeah, there is a balance for me too. I like to squeeze two seasons out of a quiver of gloves. I've been using Giro lately and been pretty happy. DND for warmer rides... older version of something that kinda resembles the GNAR for colder days.

I don't love the mechanix or the like gloves and just accept that I'll blow up a finger or two of a glove a year.

I've never blown through a palm... maybe I'm doing it wrong.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

I tried Mechanix gloves. They were great...until they weren't.

And they went downhill quickly, within a single ride. No crashes involved. No idea why, but after this happened a second time I didn't buy them again.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0166.JPG 
Views:	80 
Size:	1,019.3 KB 
ID:	452926