Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

SRAM Eagle T-Type drivetrain and Code Stealth Brakes

Duno if anyone has seen it yet, a review/ product release from NSMB

https://nsmb.com/articles/sram-eagle...tealth-brakes/
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Pretty stoked on these! Big step forward for precision and durability!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

If there's one thing the mountain bike world needs, it's a $1600 singlespeed drivetrain when you forget to charge it.

One of the reviews I saw seemed amazed that it would shift well under load. Do you think they've never ridden 12s Shimano?

It does look like a good move forward away from 3.5 million derailleur hanger designs in concept, though.

The pricing is going to be... Problematic for wide adoption.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    If there's one thing the mountain bike world needs, it's a $1600 singlespeed drivetrain when you forget to charge it.
    Who doesn’t carry spare parts? Charge a backup battery throw it in your hip pack or back pack and carry on.

That's what I do. AXS is pretty cool but I wouldn't be on it if I didn't get a crazy deal on it, and a backup analog setup. I did experience a terminal failure from changing the battery at one point when it was new that almost had me sending the thing back. As a last ditch remedy tech suggested leaving the battery out overnight, which did the trick. Still, not very convenient. At least it hasn't repeated itself.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Yup, once I commit to AXS it will be like any other part on my bike… redundant components are key for daily riding!

Quote Originally Posted by SkiLyft View Post
    Who doesn’t carry spare parts? Charge a backup battery throw it in your hip pack or back pack and carry on.

I recall you not having what you needed for a flat tire.

Quote Originally Posted by NW_SKIER View Post
    I recall you not having what you needed for a flat tire.
    I carry less shit when I pedal out my back yard! Also… I now carry a tubolito due to that experience.

Based on my experience riding with quite a few people throughout the year... a LOT of folks don't bring spare parts. Fuck batteries (but unfortunately it's getting forced on us all whether we like it or not).

I’m more interested in the new TRP drivetrain featured on PB today.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Based on my experience riding with quite a few people throughout the year... a LOT of folks don't bring spare parts. Fuck batteries (but unfortunately it's getting forced on us all whether we like it or not).
    Yeah it’s funny how a spare part kit grows the more you ride and the more shit that inevitably breaks haha. 3 years into riding.. I now carry a much more robust part kit!

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Why so? Looks pretty standard.

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    One of the reviews I saw seemed amazed that it would shift well under load. Do you think they've never ridden 12s Shimano?

I would imagine any reviewer working for PB, Vital, or a popular YouTube channel would also have extensive first hand experience on Shimano 12spd. It would kinda be a prerequisite to review AXS NGT I would think.

First hand reports that I have heard are that it shifts BETTER under load that Hyperglide 2 does.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Same. Although I'm bummed it's based on microspline. I've had better luck with XD.

Why so? Looks pretty standard.

Cheaper than XTR for *possibly* comparable weights and performance.

I have had absolutely no problems with MS on multiple drivetrains in five years. I suspect any galling is from undertorquing the cassette?
    It’s a shame they are employing different cable pull ratio, though, would have been good for mixing and matching if needed or desired.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Cool tech, interesting concept. Great marketing material.

Practical? Durable? TBD.

A lot to bitch about.

I will let the dentists on their yeti sb150s test it out for a couple years before I even consider it.

By then, the transmission will probably be the only option and we will be forced into it. Should be cheaper by then, I hope!

$100 for a chain, lol. Three gx chains a year costs me less than that.

Lame that you can’t mix and match drivetrain components, not even cranks? Why can’t I use Gx cranks if they’ve got a 55mm chainline?

I find a way to break everything on the bike at some point. I’ve learned to keep a backup of everything, as I’m sure many of us do. Traveling to race - good luck if your shit breaks and you need to replace something. Full redundancy is unrealistic with this setup, need 2 full sets of expensive components. $3k all in if you’re paying market price.

PS: I’ve got nothing against yeti or the sb150. Just see a lot of them in pristine condition and barely ridden

Wonder if people will be dumping their “ traditional” “ antique” “ outdated” sram eagle stuff now?? And by people I mean dentists… might be a good time to grab some parts for the bin.

I watched a couple of reviews today and they were all pretty positive. The lack of adjustment screws I like as well as how stout it appears to be although ( knock on wood) I’ve never fully smashed a rear der while riding.

So, it only works with specific frames designed around the UDH? Or am I confused?

Assuming the normal trickle down happens it does seem pretty cool. What's not to love about super burly and no finicky adjustment screws? Could be the death knell for gearboxes, at least on non-ebikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    So, it only works with specific frames designed around the UDH? Or am I confused?

Assuming the normal trickle down happens it does seem pretty cool. What's not to love about super burly and no finicky adjustment screws? Could be the death knell for gearboxes, at least on non-ebikes.
    the frame needs to support UDH to install it. seems like really nice technology but i'm pretty happy with my older slx and new deore for right now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NuclearNachos21 View Post
    the frame needs to support UDH to install it. seems like really nice technology but i'm pretty happy with my older slx and new deore for right now
    SRAM introduced the UDH as a Red Herring. It was the only way they could convince a bunch of frame manufacturers to build their bikes to the spec that SRAM needed.
    Brands thought a UDH would be a good idea, and SRAM said here are spec, build it like this..... a few years later they now have a majority of brands with the correct spec for for their new "transmission".
    Pretty smart in my opinion.

Virtually every bike company and "influencer" posted the exact same shit about the new drivetrain on social media yesterday... IMO, it was pretty tired after I scrolled through a couple of posts, much less hundreds of them with identical content and messaging.

the over done marketing speak wank makes my eyes roll so fucking hard. I hate embargo days, every fucking site in the world rushes to post the exact same content, so bland.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Virtually every bike company and "influencer" posted the exact same shit about the new drivetrain on social media yesterday... IMO, it was pretty tired after I scrolled through a couple of posts, much less hundreds of them with identical content and messaging.
    This.

I rarely tweet anything like this, but I said basically the same thing.

It's the least organic social push. That said, the reviews have all been very positive. Which if I didn't have any good coffee left at the house I'd probably rant about. But I'm sipping some good stuff this morning so...

But as someone else said, at that price point it'll be 2 years before I adopt, unless I get my hands on a dentist build
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    SRAM introduced the UDH as a Red Herring. It was the only way they could convince a bunch of frame manufacturers to build their bikes to the spec that SRAM needed.
    Brands thought a UDH would be a good idea, and SRAM said here are spec, build it like this..... a few years later they now have a majority of brands with the correct spec for for their new "transmission".
    Pretty smart in my opinion.
    Yeah, I got that part. Definitely a slick bait-and-switch. I just wanted to confirm that this is a hard no for a non-UDH frame. Mine is not, but by the time this all trickles down I'll probably need a new frame anyway so it's cool to see nonetheless.