Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by SkiLyft View Post

My real joy comes from hoping this catches on so that super boost can DIE forever!
    Definitely. All other things aside, superboost needs to go away.

As far as the repair-ability goes, the last few eagle derailleurs I bent were bent in fairly subtle ways. They were clearly bent and they didn't shift right, but it was tough to tell exactly what part of the derailleur was bent.

So it's cool that you can replace parts of the transmission derailleur, but I feel like often it's gonna be a thing where you replace one part, only to discover that you also needed to replace two other parts that are a little bent as well, and then pretty quickly you've spent 80% of the price of a new derailleur just to get your old derailleur mostly functional, and you probably would've been better off just buying a whole new one.

Down with super boost!

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    That's a great write up.
    X2.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    That's a great write up.
    yeah The North Shore in Vangroovy is the birthplace of freeride / enduro , these guys been in it for a long time

I rode there in the late 80's it was wow this is different and in the early 0000' s it was triple holy shit
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    I’d be interested in hearing the reasons from SRAM (and Shimano?) as well…. Is it cheaper to produce, more profitable, etc? Or is it just considered a natural progression? Because IMO it’s not better, it’s just different. And from a consumer/end-user perspective, I personally don’t like it at all due to needing batteries and they’re significantly more expensive to replace if something breaks. But I also know that we’re being force fed this BS, so it’ll be impossible to resist at some point soon.
    They're expecting a very large majority of all bike sales to be ebikes in 5-10 years. The eshifting will be integrated into the overall power supply so most people will just charge their bike and never think about charging their derailleur, and the people who can afford the bikes won't consider the additional replacement cost a significant expense.

Possibly. But I am sure there are a few forward thinkers. My view is that eventually we will have ‘light enough’ e-bikes that they will be just fine to pedal without power, essentially with no drag when the motor is disengaged. As such, the need to shift without power from the main battery will still be desirable. (Same argument goes for lights).
    Kind of a ‘redundant system’ way of thinking as people get farther and farther out there with e-bikes.
    But this is just armchair speculation, I don’t know what they are thinking anymore.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

I think its very possible right now to build an e-bike motor with > 85n of power but the drive train can't handle it forward thinking we will have E-bikes with internal gear boxes/ drive belts instead of chain which can handle more than 85nm of assist

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I think its very possible right now to build an e-bike motor with > 85n of power but the drive train can't handle it forward thinking we will have E-bikes with internal gear boxes/ drive belts instead of chain which can handle more than 85nm of assist
    Or you could just ride a motorcycle. It's the logical end point of this progression. Why even bother with pedals?

SRAM's new shit seems pretty decent to me but its ability to hold people standing on the der upper pivot (rear axle) is the least interesting part. Its even more aggressive use of ramps on the cassette than Shimano HG+ is cool, though.

The prices even send seem a little less insane when you acknowledge that they all include a crankset.

The NSMB editorial was great.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Brrraaap

I don't know if i would be happy having to ride with American ?

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    I’d be interested in hearing the reasons from SRAM (and Shimano?) as well…. Is it cheaper to produce, more profitable, etc? Or is it just considered a natural progression? Because IMO it’s not better, it’s just different. And from a consumer/end-user perspective, I personally don’t like it at all due to needing batteries and they’re significantly more expensive to replace if something breaks. But I also know that we’re being force fed this BS, so it’ll be impossible to resist at some point soon.
    What drivetrain do you usually run on your fleer?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Brrraaap

I don't know if i would be happy having to ride with American ?
    You mean, like, a South American? Or a slice of processed cheese? Or maybe a coffee with some water in it?

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    What drivetrain do you usually run on your fleer?

Well… this year we have Specialized Stumpy’s and Stumpy EVOs. One the standard Stumpy, I was able to order the ‘22 Expert models with X01. However, last year’s EVOs were out of stock so I got stuck with the 2023 Experts, which have GX AXS. So… I took all the AXS shit off and replaced it with new regular X01.

I’ve got enough shit to do on our trips, the last thing I need is to worry about fucking batteries. But I know the day is coming when I won’t have a choice if I want higher-end demos.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    You mean, like, a South American? Or a slice of processed cheese? Or maybe a coffee with some water in it?
    your problem is riding with cheesey americans

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Cheaper than XTR for *possibly* comparable weights and performance.

I have had absolutely no problems with MS on multiple drivetrains in five years. I suspect any galling is from undertorquing the cassette?
    It’s a shame they are employing different cable pull ratio, though, would have been good for mixing and matching if needed or desired.
    TRP groupo does look awesome. They hit a great value point and went with premium build characteristics. Certainly a departure from some of their equipment that felt a bit below average in my use. I loved their brake levers for my center pull CX bike once I went single speed, but their mechanical disc brakes were lackluster.
    Someone once told me that I ski like a Scandinavian angel.

Oh, son, I have many, many problems, but that’s not one of them.
    I mostly ride with expat Canadians, South Americans, and yank’s who actually ‘get it’
    Saludos de Colombia en este momento!

Soory to burst your bubble of clichés.

SRAM Eagle T-Type drivetrain and Code Stealth Brakes

Pretty neat little replacement vid.. too bad the Transmission isn’t a superior product…

I’ve come to the conclusion that change is hard for most biking folk

Guessing some more mags have a chance to ride the t type since March….especially with the GX coming out.

For myself…I replaced GX with the GX A S transmission…so I can’t speak to the first AXS products. That said, transmission is fucking awesome in real life in the field.

Anyone else test road it or bought in? Thoughts?

"We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

The most bogus claim I've seen so far is actually needing to have the sram cranks/chainring that were designed for T-Type. After installing many of them this summer with various chainrings/cranks that customers already had on their bikes, they all work perfectly fine. So don't let sram fool you into thinking you have to order the full box set to run it. Granted, I cant say that 100% of variations will work, but I'd at least start with your existing cranks/ring before investing into those.

That goes into my next rant that should probably be in the rant thread, but it's for chainring offset on any 12 speed drivetrain. During the Breck Epic this year, my shop ran out of boost (3mm offset) chainrings and installed a few 6mm offset chainrings on racer's bikes upon their request. They all worked exactly the same as before, and one of them is local here who has been running it since with no issues. 12 speed drivetrains have such a wide range of gears, I'm not convinced a few mm's is going to really make a difference for the most part and that the only real concern is if the chainring hits your chainstay or not from the offset being "incorrect". Maybe your chain will wear more? can't say, but when you ride every day as we all do here, shit's gonna wear out faster anyway.

As far as the transmission performance goes, I do think it performs exceptionally well, but my main gripe is the speed at which it moves. You get used to the slower shift speeds after a bit but then when I go back to a bike with XTR, I love being able to shift faster and dump gears when needed. Sure, some of that gear dumping is just a bad sequence of shifting on my parts at times, but I highly doubt we all shift perfectly all the time. The transmission shifts under load very well, but it's not any better than XTR is currently, so I'm sticking with XTR for a while. This is also coming from a guy who loves to waste money on fancy products and is very impulsive about it at times haha

I have killed 2 XO derailleur cages in like 3 weeks and all I can think about is how I would have needed to buy 2 whole derailleurs before this for 2x the cost (if I stuck with SRAM, shimano would have been equivalent cost). I just got unlucky twice landing on rocks with the cages. I am however switching to the GX cage for time #3 since its all steel vs aluminum for the X0. I also smashed the hell out of the main derailleur itself and it shrugged it off with ease. I think the durability of the system is on par with what SRAM has advertised.

Overall, I am very happy with the system. I did need to re position my derailleur to shift properly again after I bashed it the first time but that was an extremely quick fix.

I've been running 2 of the T-Type setups for a few months and really happy with them. I've got a GX setup (with X0 chain) on my ebike, and X0 setup (with XX chain) on my pedal bike. I don't mind the slower shifts for the tradeoff of being able to shift whenever I feel like it, no matter how steep or how much torque I have on it. Durability so far is great. I love the form factor / feel of the new controller buttons. The clutch is definitely stronger than Eagle / AXS as well.

I do agree that the whole bit about new chainlines is stupid / pointless. I wasn't about to get new cranks, as I've got eeWings on my pedal bike, so I used Wolf Tooth Drop Stop B rings. I talked to their tech support when trying to figure out the chainline bullshit, and they said, "ignore it, use the chainline that your bike was designed around, most likely 52mm". The WT DS B chainrings have been quiet and smooth with the T-Type chains on both bikes.

I do not know all the technical mechanic stuff as I have not spent enough time working on modern bikes to speak intelligently on it. I also do not have much experience with the Shimano drivetrains to make a fair comparison.

However, I love how it shifts under pressure and how you just press the button and forget about it. It does the rest of the work and gets the shifting done. I definitely have noticed a couple times when I wanted to dump a bunch of gears that it doesn't do it well....but for someone as shitty as my at technical climbing....mid climb gear change is the big game changer for me personally.
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)