Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Heritage Lab R99 Comp review

Quote Originally Posted by ZomblibulaX View Post
    I haven't been through all 40+ pages of the Heritage Labs thread to find out, but can we get a direct flex comparison for the 188 R99 Comp? "Stiff" and "very stiff" only put it in a ball park, and I need ca. 2010 historical data because I'm old now. Are we talking B Squad or Titan Pro?
    They're noticeably stiffer than the 184 OG LP that have an unknown number of days since new and also stiffer than the 192 LPR. In the hand, they feel as heavy as the LPR. These are going to rip.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2711.JPG 
Views:	136 
Size:	205.6 KB 
ID:	453439

I just got notice that the bindings were delivered today. The plan is to get them drilled and on the snow tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by GBB View Post
    Fuck. Do I need a pair of Comps instead of AM after all?
    If you’re a strong technical skier who likes to ski faster than most in all conditions then I would lean to the Comp. They ski weird crusty shit fuck better then the AM.
    I haven't been through all 40+ pages of the Heritage Labs thread to find out, but can we get a direct flex comparison for the 188 R99 Comp? "Stiff" and "very stiff" only put it in a ball park, and I need ca. 2010 historical data because I'm old now. Are we talking B Squad or Titan Pro?
    Think head Monster 98 or im103. Been a while since I’ve skied those but these feel similar but not so one dimensional. Maybe a slightly more approachable tip? Maybe it’s the tail, can’t quite put my finger on it in just the one day on them is spring like conditions. Maybe it’s the shape. They want the fall line but can get loose with some rider input and make a little smaller turn shape if needed. Only skied the B squad one day a long long time ago so my memory is fuzzy, they were maybe slightly stiffer in the tip and tail. Hopefully marshal will chime in as he has been on the Monster series closest to this ski very recently. This are very similar to my head monster 82, 183 liquid metals in flex. Just a touch softer in the very tip.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Day 2
    Skied fast groomers and steep tree pow leftovers on repeat most of the day. Also some moguls and tree luge trails.

Tree pow was lovely, tracked out cold snow chutes were a blast. I wouldn’t be disappointed if I ended up somewhere with just these skis available and 12” of fresh snow.

Moguls were fine. Boots together, pretend it’s the 80s, and zipper down.

Tree luge was scary. I dunno…

Had a few high speed moments of extreme clarity today on the groom. Detuned the tips and tails as soon as I got home.

:::::@:::::

yeah, my go to “modern” reference ski is the Head Monster. I would say the R99 comp is comparably stiff overall, just a little more round in flex distribution. Where the monster has extremely stiff shovels and relatively soft tails, the R99 is more balanced. the Legends are an inverse. Relatively softer tips and comparably stiff tails as the R99 Comp.

the R99 is decidedly a full notch softer than the Faction Thirteen, which if memory serves was similarly stiff to the Titan Pro - which was not a friendly ski at all, lol!

it’s been close to 15 years since I last owned a pair, so may be off a touch, but my guess is the R99 will give off Tanker vibes. Substantial, but friendly, fun, energetic and rewarding for a strong skier.

Quote Originally Posted by lucknau View Post

Had a few high speed moments of extreme clarity today on the groom. Detuned the tips and tails as soon as I got home.

Name:	IMG_2789.JPG 
Views:	117 
Size:	108.9 KB 
ID:	453524

I feel like a kid on Christmas morning.

Quick review: no surprises. Damp, stable, strong. Easy to ski fast. Able to ski slow (am I skiing slow?)

I did a quick detune of the tips and tails last night when I mounted but I think I’ll go a little further on the tails before heading too far into the chunder and try to get some more wax in the bases. They were a little grabby down low in the refrozen granular.

Overall, I’m not sure I’ve ever skied on a pair of skis that were of such high quality. Thanks to Marshal for the effort and time that’s gone into this project.

The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Marshal Olson View Post
    yeah, my go to “modern” reference ski is the Head Monster. I would say the R99 comp is comparably stiff overall, just a little more round in flex distribution. Where the monster has extremely stiff shovels and relatively soft tails, the R99 is more balanced. the Legends are an inverse. Relatively softer tips and comparably stiff tails as the R99 Comp.

the R99 is decidedly a full notch softer than the Faction Thirteen, which if memory serves was similarly stiff to the Titan Pro - which was not a friendly ski at all, lol!

it’s been close to 15 years since I last owned a pair, so may be off a touch, but my guess is the R99 will give off Tanker vibes. Substantial, but friendly, fun, energetic and rewarding for a strong skier.
    Yeah, the Titan Pros had a punishing tail, but they were stupid quick and agile for a ski like that.

Tanker comparison is good, I've been rallying mine for the last few weeks and love 'em. Good to see pics next to other skis, it's a long 188.

Good info in this thread, thanks all!

Well, the 185 R120 Comp (2550g)
    This ski must absolutely crush.

At 185, I bet it skis a lot like the 190 lab, but with a proper long radius and balanced flex profile that doesn't lock you into a slalom turn.
    Stoked to hear the reviews come in.

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    This ski must absolutely crush.

At 185, I bet it skis a lot like the 190 lab, but with a proper long radius and balanced flex profile that doesn't lock you into a slalom turn.
    Stoked to hear the reviews come in.
    Agreed, anyone get on these yet? I’ve got to be honest I’m not sure exactly what these are for - powder? Chop? Obviously going very fast through whatever but how do you compare/decide between the comp 120 and the FL113? At 120 underfoot I normally think powder ski but the stiff build, flat tail, etc sort of point toward firmer conditions. Scratching my head a bit but also feel like I need them for some reason.

The Comp R99s are a great ski. I echo what Norseman and jackattack said earlier. The maple metal layup is awesome. The skis are damp, stable, strong and they can absolutely crush. I am a fan of these skis.

Can’t FKNA wait….. mine should be arriving this week!!!! Where are the collective mounting these? Thinking minus 9 at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by iriponsnow View Post
    Can’t FKNA wait….. mine should be arriving this week!!!! Where are the collective mounting these? Thinking minus 9 at the moment.
    I put mine on ze line and wouldn’t change them. I skied the shit outa mine Sunday/Monday in pow. They rule. Will throw up a full breakdown later.

Minus 9 would be +2 of the line, fwiw

Easily the best ski in the this class that I've skied. Full stop.

I used to ski the Head Mojo 94 as my daily driver, and I have skied A TON of ~90 - 99mm waist skis and haven't found the magic I felt in the Heads. Until I skied the R99 Comp. It's like my Mojo 94 but with more tip float and a looser feel off edge.

Hard Groomers: check
    Soft Groomers: check
    Steep Hard Groomers: check check
    Wind blown "race pow": check
    Knee deep day old: check
    1/2 melted/refrozen sun affect groomers: check
    "Packed pow" moguls: check
    Carved SL turns: yup
    Carved GS turns: youbetcha
    Short radius skidded turns: oh yeah
    Slidey stivot long radius turns: you know it
    Straghtline in crud: yeah buddy, go faster

Marshal, I'm sold on these skis. FKNA.

At the end of every run, my remark to 2Funky and Kopi_Red was... damn these skis FUCKING RIP

Quote Originally Posted by iriponsnow View Post
    Mine are mounted on the line and I really like them there. The ski is pretty balanced at that mount point. The tail on the Comp R99s is the real deal.

While skiing boot top to knee deep pow I tried easing off the shin pressure as to ski in a more centered stance. That was an ill advised decision. Immediately the tail showed up and told me who was boss. After that I got back in the driver’s seat and it was all good.

Personally I’d be a little apprehensive about mounting too far forward. The tail of the ski could feel a little long and it could be a handful.

I'd venture to say irip has skied more skis out of the blossom factory than the rest of us postulating in this thread combined.

Didn’t think Blossom had this exact ski? Plus he also asked where others mounted them, no? Anyhow, irip, mount them at -9 and report back mang.

Irip,

FOR THE 180CM:
    - Line is -11.5 on the 180s
    - Center of sidecut (ski waist) is -11

Going to -9 would be +2 of the sidecut. Which isn't terrible, the ski will pivot with less input, and on edge, the ski will want to carve down the fall line a little more vs. finishing the turn and come across the fall line (as it would around the line). However, very few people will need/want more tail on the comp... but you are a good candidate, haha.

Easy science experiment tho. And Always easy to move back if needed.

I should get your pair out today or tomorrow, FWIW.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    I put mine on ze line and wouldn’t change them. I skied the shit outa mine Sunday/Monday in pow. They rule. Will throw up a full breakdown later.

Thankx, I have really been loving -9 of late, but I really appreciate the input.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Didn’t think Blossom had this exact ski? Plus he also asked where others mounted them, no? Anyhow, irip, mount them at -9 and report back mang.

That's the spirit.

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    I'd venture to say irip has skied more skis out of the blossom factory than the rest of us postulating in this thread combined.
    Just to be clear / transparent, I have not skied any Blossom near this shape since the OG PM Gear Bro Model. Beyond stoked to see if this is a model update to that stick or id Marshal is a mad scientist- or both.

Irip,

FOR THE 180CM:
    - Line is -11.5 on the 180s
    - Center of sidecut (ski waist) is -11

Going to -9 would be +2 of the sidecut. Which isn't terrible, the ski will pivot with less input, and on edge, the ski will want to carve down the fall line a little more vs. finishing the turn and come across the fall line (as it would around the line). However, very few people will need/want more tail on the comp... but you are a good candidate, haha.
    Thanks brother, I am a guy who appreciates a lotta junk in that trunk.

R120 Comp

Has anybody mounted up and skied the R120 Comp yet? Any recommendations on mount point from people who have been on-snow with this ski. I know the recommended mount point is -11 and "-1 for full directional feel or +1 for a more neutral pivoty ride," but I'm curious if anyone has 1st hand experience.

Spent last Sunday and Monday on the R99 in some very mixed conditions ranging from firm to knee deep pow.
    My impressions:
    Sunday, second half of the day at Schweitzer on them, well Kopi_Reds pair.
    I went to a pretty serious detune on mine behind the bindings. 4 swipes with a red gummy entire length then smoothed the edge 6” up from tail. They release much better now and still lay RR tracks in the firm.
    Conditions: 4-5’ wind packed pow, chopped pow, firm groomers, cut up groomers, mid shin chunder, mix of firm and soft bumps with excellent visibility.
    Whooo boy! They smooth everything out. Press the tips and get sum. In deeper heavy chop at speed they want that 24m radius which feels so good. I was also able to bend the ski into smaller turns as needed. So damp and composed.
    Bumps are no big deal now with the detune, snake through or smash them, your choice.
    Boot top wind pow or chopped pow was laughable, just stand on them and freakin send it. So gratifying. The tip on these is rather genius as they never went to the bottom, hung up, hooked or got hingey. So planted and trustworthy.
    Monday at Silver back on my pair with no crowds and pow ranging from boot top to knee deep. Granted I would normally bring other skis for this but I wanted to ski them in these conditions to see how they did. Boy did they surprise me, in a very good way.
    The tips will bring you towards the surface when unweighted between turns and never send you to the bottom. You are definitely in the snow but not on bottom. They do plane up but want to carve pow instead of surf, understandably. They love tip pressure here and will punish you for bad form or trying to steer from the mid foot or god forbid the tail. I’m totally fine with that as I like to drive skis but when skis like the centered type stance I can go there as well.
    Skied some steep firm chalk in the trees, make any turn you want, slide them then point it to a comfy ride out the bottom at speed.
    I now see myself skiing this ski for a lot of the days that we get less than 6” or it is going to get chopped up quickly.
    The ski does nothing you don’t tell it to and craves rider input. They will get loose easily with the detune, they are sharp af out of the wrapper. Damp, not overly so, composed, charge or don’t it’s cool, they looove to charge tho. I tried to find a fault but really can’t. For what they are designed for they absolutely kill it.
    I’m in complete love with this ski and cannot wait to step into them again.
    This ski is the perfect blend of the Monster 98/108, Legend Pro rider but with a better flex profile, tip splay and slight tail splay.
    Bravo Marshal, bravo!
    Edit to add that these skis will ski slower more moderate speeds happily and easily. They don’t need to go mach schnell all the time, though they will comply and reward it.

Last edited by 2FUNKY; 04-08-2023 at 06:05 PM.

Name:	19BC043A-59CC-45F0-AD7F-81EAA2D0D63B.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	613.0 KB 
ID:	455351

Pondering mounts…..

Name:	E309C08C-91BB-4D37-B3E1-07A37C96B506.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	722.0 KB 
ID:	455352