Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DumbIdeasOnly View Post
    Some brief notes on the Comp 99 vs. a legend pro rider. I’d need to do a proper A/B with the Pro Rider to be fair (and unfortunately I couldn’t get both skis on the hill that day), but my suspicion is that the LPR is easier off piste than the Comp R99 in the sense the LPR somewhat harder to turn and therefore also harder to screw up a turn on. The FL105 thread referenced the R99 as a “race-car” I believe, and I presently think this comparison is quite apt because of how responsive the R99 is to technical inputs.

Overall, I would describe the R99 as being most like a more technically responsive Pro Rider. I am stoked on the skis and looking forward to the flex breaking in a bit next season (or later this season if snowpack holds up and I take a few field trips).
    Interesting thoughts here! Love it. If I am reading your comment right, the LPR is a bit more of a smasher, smooths stuff out does a little more work for the skier, where the R99 is a bit more responsive to skier inputs, and needs to be skied a bit more actively?

That jives with an email I received (can't remember the TGR handle) making similar comparisions to the IM103 and OG Katana:

I spent a couple more days on the r99s last weekend after some detuning and they are what I was hoping for. The ski areas were closed midweek so 3-6 inches of old snow ,some of it pow, some hot pow, some corn and some crust. The kind of day I always reach for something wider and/ or rockered . While not as easy as my old Katanas , they certainly handled some tricky snow without problem and I just needed to be deliberate and tip them up and they came around beautifully and had plenty of float for what they are . Kind of like skiing Monster 102s with much better float off piste and much better carving on piste. Kind of a win/win. I think they will come out most days , but the 120s are so much fun to ski that they will get out a lot as well. It may be a really nice 2 ski quiver for out west , which I wasn't expecting after having El Capos at 107 as my main ski for the last decade or so. Well done!

Quote Originally Posted by Marshal Olson View Post
    Interesting thoughts here! Love it. If I am reading your comment right, the LPR is a bit more of a smasher, smooths stuff out does a little more work for the skier, where the R99 is a bit more responsive to skier inputs, and needs to be skied a bit more actively?

That jives with an email I received (can't remember the TGR handle) making similar comparisions to the IM103 and OG Katana:
    Wasn’t my email, but that is the gist of my comment. Off piste the LPR is more of a smash through kind of ski for me than the R99.

I’m going to speculate somewhat baselessly that the tighter radius on the R99 (specifically 3mm wider tips with a 6 mm narrower waist from online specs) contribute to this responsiveness difference but I am not a ski designer.
    Last edited by DumbIdeasOnly; 04-20-2023 at 01:56 PM.

Heritage Labs r99 Comp

Okay, after several lackluster early AMs on waning spring snow here are some initial thoughts:

Construction- Coming from the Blossom factory in Italy, this is one of their gems. The top sheet is texturized like 600 grit sandpaper and sparkles in the sunlight.

The sidewalls are absolutely works of art, and are sculpted with the race tune beveling. Skis are set from the factory at 1 degree base and 2 degree side angles.

Classy metal tail bar adds protection and sophistication. Uniform torsion box construction with tons of metal completes the rig.

Mounting point- After much consultation, starring, comparison to other boards and plain voodoo, I decided to go at plus one, which lands us at a mounting point of -10.5. I recently upsized to a 25.5 or 295mm boot FTR. This is a fairly conservative ski with minimal tip/tail taper & a lot of effective edge, yet still I didn’t want to be at -11.5. Marshal has initiated that the addition of the tail bar took some of the rear of the ski, but I didn’t want to be that far backwards. While marketed as a 180, this ski is only 1cm longer that my current model 177cm Black Crows Divus (which has a similar metal tail bar).

Clamps- Salomon STH2 WTR 16’s - not only is this one of the best bindings on the market, it is also one of the closest to being period correct for this Heritage Ski being a modern Bro Model. (Ok- it’s not on the market, but you can still find em & the 13 is still available.)

Initial rides- Recently, I’ve become quite the fan of Thomas Sowell’s “there are no solutions, only trade offs… so know what’s on the table….” as it relates to ski gear. Certainly a 165 cm slalom ski with a radius of 12 will be a lot of fun from the chairlift until it starts to get steep, then you need to scrub speed by shutting it down sideways. A 40m OG Explosiv will never dance until 50mph, but will hold a straight line. The r99 Comp doesn’t want to pivot or play in the trees or ski with your mom (unless she is a cougar). It does want to seek the fallline & go fast. Really FAST. It demands a quick transition & 100% commitment. Any hesitation will send bone jarring reverberations thru your skeleton & result in chunddering. The lollipop shovel is just waiting for you to fuck up so it can punish you with a hard slap.

However, get it right & it slays the gnar & will rumble over anything short of a school bus. Landings are balanced and stable with just the right amount of weight in the ski to provide confidence to drive into the next arc.

Bumpers need not apply.

How it’s similar & to what- While I have read other comparisons to legend pros and the head 88s/ 98s, the ski that most often comes forefront when I’m on the r99 comp is the head. im103 in the classic orange. Wide/ long radius/ powerful. Slightly more versatile than the OG Explosiv. Able to hug the turns like an fighter jet under a skilled pilot.

How it’s really different from the current market- Should you grab the run of the mill 97-100mm ski in a 18x cm, you will inevitably find yourself on a 16.5-17.5 meter ride. This badass clocks in at 24m; on the hill this translates to being able to spend more time going down the hill rather than across. Further stability is offered by an increase running length. Before you get ready to blow ur wad in the Cadillac, the shovels have a surprise via Hot Tub Time Machine- Blossom gifts you a 2008 non tapered muscle car grill that you’ll have to manage like a drunk stripper on meth.

Who’s the best pilot? Are you a 10 by 10 guy? Do you crush 3 hours from opening bell until your shift on the Mtn starts? Do ya love Leg Blasters? Is it always leg day? Then you may have a shot…… maybez. If you are tired of hi teen turn radius skis, this may be your last refuge.

If you can squat 2x your body weight & have skills of a legit patroller & appreciate turning it up to 11 whilst crushing mank like a Ford 350 equipped plow spanking Dollar General garden gnomes at a tourist rental, this is a good option.

Who is it certainly not for? Are ya looking for nice groomers? Do you like easy turns all day? These are not your skis. Also not your skis if you’re a bump & tree skier. These don’t play nice in either.

Improvements- First & foremost, let’s get this baby to a real 180cm; 180 is really the quintessential length. Next, we need some taper to the tip (maybe the tails). I’m a huge fan of the current crop of freeride tips as they don’t hang up when the trail gets cut up and trashed out. My plan is to take the base bevels in the shovels to 3 degrees & then detune the sides. Next grind these go to 3 on the side & 1.5 on the bases. Further, let’s add a Trad & Rad mount points @ -10 & -8cm. Modulation of / out of the torsion box construction at the distal 20cm fore & aft is also in order.

Final thoughts- I get to ski a lot of skis, these are like a Freeride SG on steroids. Marshal is a bad, bad man for putting these out to the world.

*FYI, I’m 145# ; 5’9”

Great review Irip. Now I need a pair.

Dramatically more articulate and better observed than I was. That said, I sign onto what I think you’re saying that one of the most standout attributes vs. similar skis today is the tip shape, the R99 “lollipop shovels” make them both demanding and very fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvan View Post
    Great review Irip. Now I need a pair.
    That's what I'm here for and you DO NEED a pair. There really is no comparable on the market to this ski. There is a reason that folks geek out over the Blossom built factory skis - there are zero compromises. They just aren't for everyone. With 3x metal, they're for the select few.

Wow, that was an incredible review.

Almost makes me wish it was December already hehe

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Heritage Lab R99 Comp review

2 more days on mine in a little bit of everything at Alpine/Pallisades

they are significantly faster that the bonafides in a straight line, crazy stable.

I disagree that you gotta be on them 100%, but I’m 200lbs…The tip has enough give that I had no issues in variable/crud/junk bumps. So yeah, best to be on them a bit more than Enforcers/Bonafides but I’d say comparable to M5/M6.

Bottom line, they’re great and exactly what I wanted

(with the caveat that I agree a true 180 or even 181/182 might be even better…)

I love them, and hope Marshal sells enough to justify something like a 182/189 run.

Life of a repo man is always intense.

Quote Originally Posted by iriponsnow View Post
    Heritage Labs r99 Comp… these are like a Freeride SG on steroids. Marshal is a bad, bad man for putting these out to the world.
    QFT

Quote Originally Posted by otto parts View Post
    Bottom line, they’re great and exactly what I wanted

(with the caveat that I agree a true 180 or even 181/182 might be even better…)
    I approve of this message.

2600g inside of 185cm

Mounted on the line

Giggity
    Last edited by bry; 06-02-2023 at 07:51 PM.

Man these might be the coolest skis I've ever been on.

Fat monsters and surfier OG cochise/bodes all came to mind but these are surfier than I was expecting, and never wanted more ski. Hero slush for these today mind you. A 188-191 could be dope but not sure at what cost weight wise. Sporty SUV feel.

After some laps up top took them on the GS course which was still relatively crisp in places and didn't die. Can't wait for next season these things are in the pole position for any semblance of soft snow. Gonna just ski them the rest of the season.

My kid said they need a Kirby sticker.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bry; 05-21-2023 at 06:40 PM.

^ They sound rad.

Quote Originally Posted by bry View Post
    A 188-191 could be dope but not sure at what cost weight wise.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
    I dream of a future where a 190 HL R110 exists. Also, your kid is right.
    Last edited by Sylvan; 05-22-2023 at 04:06 PM. Reason: Clarity

After another 7 or so days on the 180s I like even more. Yup, more work than Bonafides and Enforcers, tad more than Mantras too. But they have the exact damp but not dead feel I love. Not exactly Stockli, kind of their own groove and on the money.
    For 10% more effort you get crazy confidence and precision-was passing my pals on 187 Bonafides and 191 M5s pretty easily last week on salted Mammoth race course runs.
    Buy these, can’t imagine mags not absolutely loving theirs like I do.
    Thanks MO…

Life of a repo man is always intense.

Nice man! So glad they are treating you well.

Figured this thread needed a bump! Super fired up to get on my personal pair in a couple months, and thought folks would like to know that now the dust has settled and i've done a couple substitutions for folks, that is 1 pair of NEW Comps and one pair of BLEM Comps avaialable

For the carvy chargers, there are 2 pair of R87 175cm comps available as well.

These are the only 2 pair of Comps remaining this season! Better get on it while you can

Heritage Lab R99 Comp review

Just reread the thread as I locked down a pair recently. Super boned up to get these on the hill. As usual tha homies comments bring the color and experience into life. Well done! Big salute to Marshal
    LFG

My pair came in at 2306 and 2298. Right up my alley
    Last edited by CascadeLuke; 09-28-2023 at 09:54 PM.

Anyone have a pair of R99AMs and can comment on them?

Quote Originally Posted by 54-46 View Post
    Anyone have a pair of R99AMs and can comment on them?

I reviewed them here against the comp and in the AM thread here:

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...d-Thread/page6

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    I reviewed them here against the comp and in the AM thread here:

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...d-Thread/page6

Great; found it!

Anyone have comparison to Mantra 102? Bought a pair of 184 M102s at end of season, but debating on a set of R99 to take that quiver slot (all mountain charger for no new snow). Ski primarily PNW with occasional Whistler and annual Utah/Jackson trips.

I didn’t get to ski the comps but I saw Norse on a set at Alpy closing day. I skied the am 188s and they weee a bit soft for heavy chop but awesome on the groomers. I bought bonafides instead since comps were not in yet but am sure the comps rips. I would guess the m102s float better but the comps are stronger and smoother. You’re also welcome to take a spin on my bones.

Quote Originally Posted by phatty View Post
    Anyone have comparison to Mantra 102? Bought a pair of 184 M102s at end of season, but debating on a set of R99 to take that quiver slot (all mountain charger for no new snow). Ski primarily PNW with occasional Whistler and annual Utah/Jackson trips.
    Those are going to ski short for a man of your stature.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

That's one of my concerns, but also was looking for a ski that can be easy going while still being pushed. I don't want to be on all the time.