Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Beer racing league - what’s skis

I’ve always said I wanted to compete, but never have. Probs getting the pass I need for it next year. Lots of reasons.

What do core mag bros who are cheap af use for beer racing league?

Anything in here that fits the bill?

https://www.corbetts.com/categories/..._range:170:179

I’m hoping this doesn’t turn into a “buy my skinny setup that I need to sell” thread, but yeah.

Open to suggestions
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	847A8A3B-F0F2-4EC3-82D2-D51ECB841D45_1_201_a.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	712.2 KB 
ID:	452507

191 Jeffrey 108

Less than humble brag.... podium every race

Used or old stock race skis can be found real cheap online. Seems like you can find club race skis for about $300. Or If you live in an area where there are race clubs hit up the ski swaps.

Or just race on what you already own.

There is a thread on this is you search for it. The consensus was the red ones.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by skuff View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	847A8A3B-F0F2-4EC3-82D2-D51ECB841D45_1_201_a.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	712.2 KB 
ID:	452507

191 Jeffrey 108

Less than humble brag.... podium every race
    HYFR. That’s awesome. I would totally race on Jeff 110 or 102. Probs shouldn’t park detune them though.

I got some women's FIS GS Atomic Redsters only 199$ and they are pretty fast probably czu they are red

I got top speed at ze shushboomer pre-covid

actualy I think it was the expensive wax
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by SupreChicken View Post
    HYFR. That’s awesome. I would totally race on Jeff 110 or 102. Probs shouldn’t park detune them though.
    hah! The park detune may make the race course extra slippery, not recommended. Most of the racers use cheater race skis around 18-19m radius. The gates here are a bit closer together than a nastar course

On any race night, there may be 3 or 4 race suits worn in this league, the rest of the skiers wear "regular" outerwear.
    Last edited by skuff; 03-20-2023 at 08:24 PM.

Where you skiing? Midwest, Rockies, IceCoast, west?

For years I have ran a pair of 183 Rossi 'Cheater' Race skis. 24M and stiff. They rock in the course. I had to drop out of the beer league due to other factors, but still have the skis... If you are in the midwest I am more than happy to let you give these a rip to get a feel.
    "Never let the truth get in the way of a good story." Warren M

I’m PNW. Variable snow, ice possible, not promised.

I got a race suit pretty cheap from a 15yr old junior racer, perfect fo small AZN man !
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I did the Alpy series this year - most of the team got some redsters, there are online deals that aren’t too bad for hard snow carvers. Or you can do what I did and mount up some old 190cm volkl explosivs

https://www.skiessentials.com/2019-b...ABEgKqH_D_BwE#

https://www.skiessentials.com/2020-nordica-dobermann-gs-wc-race-dept-skis-w-marker-xcell-16-bindings.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIp7KI9Pjr_QIVQwR9Ch 2sZw5UEAQYCyABEgKTyfD_BwE#size=444

https://www.skiessentials.com/2022-fischer-rc4-worldcup-gs-men-s-ski-w-tyrolia-z16-free-flex-bindings.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2PvXlPrr_QIVIwh9Ch 1YdgKfEAQYFSABEgJCBvD_BwE#size=22403&ski_size=1973 2

Does your league run separate SL and GS races, or a single G-SL-ish hybrid? If you only get one pair of skis, it's easier to run a beer league GS course with SL skis than vice versa.

Also, you can find NOS race skis conforming to old FIS rules (like r>35m) for cheap, but they will not be easy to turn on beer league courses with beer league skills.

Dude. No idea. I just know that the league exists.

Wren 108 189 or
    Jeff 96 186

I can definitely resist the urge to turn either into a park ski. Both are stable af at speed…

Thoughts?

Like Woodsman 102 176, ask for a custom 12M turn radius.

Seriously tho - Just go cheap race ski and get a custom ON3P hard snow resort day ski, different tools and toys.

As stated it can depend on the race course used and number of gates. But if you do not know it, then depending on your height and weight you could go with a 170 cm-185 cm good top all mountain ski, or you could get want is called a cheater GS ski. That would not be usually the 30 M turning radius skis linked above from Skiessentials through. Radius somewhere around 16-21 meter would be considered cheater GS ski for recreational racing these days. Depending on deals and how old you are talking about if going used skis- that could be a Fischer Progressive, Curv, or RC4 World Cup that is not their FIS series. Also Atomic, Dynastar, Nordica, Rossignol, Elan, Blizzard, Head, and Volkl, Some at our local resort even run Slalom skis in a 165 cm- 170 cm with 12 to 14 meter radius for a tighter course.

Woman's skis, or as they call them Tweener skis GS (last and longest of a junior ski for a teenager) also work for either someone that is lighter or again a tighter course.

Elan Wingman or GSX
    Head Super Shape
    Dynastar Speed
    Atomic Redster

What you do not probably want is a more recent FIS GS Ski that has a higher turning radius these days. Anything over 27 meter radius probably is going to be a bunch of work and or require a more skilled skier or racer that can handle them and really are not going to be what you are looking for since they tend to be greater than 30 Meter radius...

I have a pair of Dynastar 192cm 27m (pre-rule-change FIS compliant) race stock skis with Look bindings and plates you can have for shipping. Probably less than 10 days total use. Three warnings: they are heavy as fuck so shipping will be expensive, if your beer league has gates tighter than 27m radius these skis will be punishing (as mentioned above, much easier to use SL skis in GS than the other way around), and they repeatedly tried to kill me while I was sleeping.

I got them for groomer days and wish I’d gone SL instead. True GS skis are a little too much for inbounds skiing IMO just due to the raw speed required. They fucking rip though.

Get race skis or at a minimum very hardcore cheaters. Trust me. I’ve been the guy using inappropriate skis on course and it’s much less fun. Race-y sticks are a whole new dimension of skiing if you are a soft snow guy.

Beer racing league - what’s skis

^^^ if you’re good enough to use a pair of FIS 30m GS skis in beer league then you wouldn’t be asking for advice and you probably already have some sitting in your garage from your racing days.

A masters/cheater GS (stiffer than tweener race skis but tighter radius than fis) or the hard core carver type of ski (longer but with SL radius) is what you want if you’re going to buy something.
    Otherwise just “run what you brung” and use whatever you already have and have a good time.

This beer league is dual format racing and set between 17-19M.

I stopped a couple yrs ago because I'd jack my lower back/abdominals every damn year pushing even 23M into a 17M turn.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

I'll give you the GS skis in this thread.

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...hlight=igneous
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Well, I'm not allowed to delete this post, but, I can say, go fuck yourselves, everybody!

Check your local HS swaps at the beginning of the season. Lots of good deals to be found there.

I race beer leagues in the midwest and love these: https://www.powder7.com/Head-WC-Rebe...-2023/for-sale

It is an expensive ski, but absoletely rails in the course! Probably able to find a good deal at a swap on year or two old equipment.

Like has been already been said, GS Cheaters, 17 meters, will be your best friend. Something in the World Cup radius would be a lot of ski for a beer league. Those things need to be going warp speed to get on edge and carve a turn.

Maybe just take a ski you are familiar with in the course first. This might give you an idea of what you are looking for.

Have fun, don't forget the beers!
    French Fries!

WWCD is online now Non Threating Male Friend
    Where are you in the Midwest?

I’m heading to Chicago for work for what is supposed to be 6 months but will probably end up being longer. Would love do get into this if not too long a drive.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by WWCD View Post

I’m heading to Chicago for work for what is supposed to be 6 months but will probably end up being longer. Would love do get into this if not too long a drive.

I'm racing at Tyrol Basin near Mt Horeb, WI

Running gates is fun. Trying to follow the same icy path as everyone else seems dumb, but challenging

I absolutely love my "cheater" GS skis for my beer league (and a lot of early season hardpack groomer-ripping weekday laps). They're 182 with a 16m radius, and 65.5mm under foot. I'm 6'1" 170lbs. I raced in HS, but was mediocre at best. I would not want a race-construction ski with a longer radius than that--my beer league course is basically a Nastar course, and so has a short radius set. Plus, I'd have a lot of trouble not killing other people on the hill when not in the course--they go fast enough as is. I actually think they're a really nice compromise between a SL ski and a FIS GS ski. I got them from Coloradodiscountskis.com--great retailer with great deals.

As far as a comparison to a narrow all-mountain ski, my cheater skis are a bit of a one-trick-pony. But I actually get out on them a lot and they make low tide early season days SO fun. Getting lots of reps on hard groomers early season on these skis has made me a MUCH better skier.

Quote Originally Posted by WWCD View Post

I'm in Southeast Michigan. Might be a bit of a commute for a beer league from Chicago. Well, the drive to the hill might not be bad, but the drive home could be sporting.
    French Fries!