Fallen feet(flatfoot)?

I realized my feet arches are falling and my my heels are pronating. Do strengthening exercises work to recover the arch and reduce pronation? Some recommend barefoot shoes, while some podiatrists warm against them. I have custom orthotics but they don't help recover the arch do they?

I think you can recover some arch by exercising/strengthening the arch, but haven't tried it personally. A yoga instructor friend says it can help. I never went down the minimalist shoe rabbit hole, but did try a pair of somewhat minimal Merrell's for a bit. Didn't like it, felt like I was not strengthening anything, just risking injury more, and wishing for more support. I probably didn't work up to being able to use them much, so didn't give them a fair shake. I've mostly been a fan of having some kind of support in all my footwear. Footbeds and orthotics will not help regain arch but will support that arch and help compensate for fallen/weak arches, providing better comfort and alignment.
    Sawatch is French for scratchy.

Quote Originally Posted by Cocximus View Post
    I realized my feet arches are falling and my my heels are pronating. Do strengthening exercises work to recover the arch and reduce pronation? Some recommend barefoot shoes, while some podiatrists warm against them. I have custom orthotics but they don't help recover the arch do they?
    Absolutely, first step is to practice scrunching up a towel with your toes. Next I would do split squats with a band under your big toe attached to something in front of you with tension on it. Find a good strength coach/personal trainer!

Running up steep hills. Start in the shoes you have/like, then progress to less cushioned, flatter trail shoes a'la Inov8 RocLite as your arches strengthen.

I was headed that way, and my feet measured 284. A year or two later they measure 277 and I have strong, high arches. Living by the beach and walking barefoot a lot definitely helps too.

Quote Originally Posted by Cocximus View Post
    my feet are flatter than piss on a plate so I use the 30$ sole which have a lot of arch support
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I’m in the foot care world, 95 to 99% of the patients I see have tight calf muscles or some other form of limited ankle dorsiflexion.

Keep wearing your custom orthotics. Barefoot /non supporting shoes will make the problem worse. Do the exercises suggested they may or may not help.

orthotics will never help to recover, they simply provide support to what "is falling aside". I use Superfeet insoles, the Orange in the snowboard boots, and the half insole in my dress shoes.

I think my calf and dorsiflexion are pretty good. I can set downright rude, steep skintracks without risers. My hamstrings are tight, though.

I got xero "barefoot" boots last summer, mostly because of my bunions. I have grown to like them and wear them almost everywhere. From hiking to driving, they feel great. I stopped using my kailash pro boots. Then I got some tx2, which have minimal arch support. I find them very comfortable.

My only problem when walking is that I wear out the outside corners of my shoes frustratingly quick. Custom podiatrist made footbeds did not make a difference. 

My arch and pronation problems come up while skiing and touring. I used to use the superfeet red footbeds, which are for high arches. My feet cramped the first few days at the start of the season, but they got used to it. I kept forcing my feet to get used to them because they improved my boot fit. The past few seasons, the cramping was too much, so I switched to the blue superfeet. No cramping, but the boot fit is not as good. I tried sole footbeds. They were a good compromise between blue and red superfeet for a season, but now they have lost some of their arch height.

My big issue is touring. I think because my foot pronates with every step, I get blisters on the inside of my heels. I go through 1-2 pairs of dissent socks and a liner a season. They wear on the inside of my heel. I guess the obvious answer is custom orthotics for skiing. Anyone know a good podiatrist around Vancouver that makes ski footbeds on benefits?

I will start doing exercises if they help. I want to at least maintain the arch I have. I don't run